XBOX to play with...

Discussion in 'Technology / Gadget Forum' started by Samsonite, Oct 8, 2011.

Share This Page

1. Samsonite

Samsonite Mine's a frosty one

Hi there,

There was an XBOX 360 at work looking for a new home and nobody offered to buy it, so I jokingly said I'd pay £20 for it and got it!

Having not bought a console for 9 years since my PS2, I don't really know much about the consoles these days.

This one is no doubt the first model (cream, no HDMI). It came with a 10GB HDD add-on and a Media Center remote.

I think I will use it as a media box because I've been using an old laptop, but my missus wants the laptop back as a laptop!

So... not sure what I should do to it. First thing I notice is the fans are soooo loud. Not sure whether there is a good replacement or if I should do a DIY using 2 silent fans.

Should I buy a cheap SATA HDD and mess around with swapping it with the 10GB one? I notice I can plug in my 320GB USB HDD and it recognizes it, but it won't be as fast as SATA obviously.

As it was so cheap, I am happy to mod it heavily if needed, but it seems quite capable - maybe my best option is to use Media Center over the network and stream content to the XBOX, then making it quieter would be my only DIY task?

I'd be interested to know what other people have done to their XBoxes as looking around t'Net, there are many things you can do and they are not all good...

Cheers

2. Ninjagordy

Ninjagordy Winner of The Game (UJFL)

hi mate, what most people have done to there xbox's is repair them....

good luck!!! :D

3. brumster

brumster Midland Muppet

The media front-end in it as standard is pretty good, provided you've got Windows backend servers/workstations... I've never been tempted to chip/mod any of mine tbh. Wouldn't mind making a portable Xbox in a briefcase though :)

4. gamerdude1989

gamerdude1989 Banned

an xbox can only be hacked to run upto a 750gb hdd. And it requires connecting upto a pc and flashing certain files to it, so that the xbox can read it as "an official" hard drive, although it actually isnt.
    You would be suprise, running a hdd through usb isnt so bad, i did it for quite a while with no problems.
    and sure, with the fans, rip em out and put in some high cfm fans.
    But, the xbox stock fans are 12v but only run a 5v, so any other fan you put in there will run at 5v too, Unless you get the 12v power line to the dvd drive, tap into that to power the fans at 12v and use the stock 3 pin connector for earth, as this is also the temperature sensor, which the system cannot run well without it...

I have done this many many many times, ive modded, hacked xbox's in the past, on a regular basis for people across the internet.

If you decide to do any of the above, and need a hand, be sure to give me a pm, will gladly show you the ropes.

and what Ninjagordy said, was for a reason, xbox 360s are useless for reliability, the infamous red ring of death is annoying..
    To overcome this, either replace the x-clamps (heatsink clamp benief the mobo) or leave it until it gets red lights then perform a solder re-ball and reflow to fix it...

5. Ninjagordy

Ninjagordy Winner of The Game (UJFL)

hehe..... this I have done many many times also for people...... hope your lucky dude and it works well for you....if it breaks im sure we can tell you how to fix it! :D:D

6. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

You can replace the fans with quieter ones (with LEDs if you want lol) - I think Kustom used to sell them but you can get them from the various modding/repair/chipping etailers.

The main offender noise-wise tends to be the DVD drive but shouldn't be a problem if you're streaming media or playing it from an external USB drive - which for the most part does work really well, obviously it doesn't support every format under the sun but you should be able to play most music and video unless you use the more exotic formats.

I'd keep the drive as standard and get it updated to the latest software version if it isn't already, you never know you might pick up the odd cheapie game to mess with. So yeah, USB.

If it's like mine it probably has a rear USB port so you don't have to have a cable sticking out of the front.

7. Samsonite

Samsonite Mine's a frosty one

Thanks for the advice. For £20 I wouldn't expect too much, but it seems to work ok. I put a USB thumb drive in with some videos on and it played them perfectly, so not bad at all so far. I need to get some dust out of it as it's spitting dust - maybe that's not helping the fan noise. I probably will replace the fans as it will be slightly annoying for playing videos, although it does settle a bit after about 5 mins (or maybe I just get used to it!).