Xbox 360 Blu-Ray Player planned by Microsoft!?

Discussion in 'Gaming News' started by Fireblade, Feb 21, 2008.

Share This Page

1. Fireblade

Fireblade Mental Modder[ator]!!

Read more here (it's spread over two pages).

It makes perfect sense to me actually, that they'd have a Blu-Ray player 'fallback' plan in the works, whilst the format 'war' was still ongoing?

2. Fat Jez

Fat Jez Master of the High Five!

The only way it won't compete is that it won't allow them to store games on BD format discs, which the PS3 does do. Whether they need to is debatable, there seems to be fewer and fewer PS3 exclusive games, suggesting the extra storage isn't really needed.

Cheers,
    Stephen

3. jesush++

jesush++ Insert witty comment here

Of course Sony would welcome Microsoft.

Hi Microsoft, you want to use bluray, fine, that will be $xxx in license fees.

This was always going to happen in fairness.

4. movinginthedark

movinginthedark Trogdor...

Would be a step forward, and cross licencing deals happen with many things. I hope MS do adopt the blu-ray drives. But even if Sony do slap a fat price on it - it's not like Microsoft are gonne be raiding there penny jar.

5. theuncharmed

theuncharmed I was hatched

Sony only own part of the BR patents (and thus licenses) so sounds like a press-release to make Sony look good.

But yeah, MS will adopt the standard at some point.

6. -M-uuhh

-M-uuhh I Got Wii! :)

Microsoft said there wotn be a BR player for Xbox.

7. movinginthedark

movinginthedark Trogdor...

You got a link to back that up Muuhh? Would be a shame if they choose not too. I think they might be shooting themselves in the foot too.

8. Fat Jez

The attach rate for the HD-DVD drive was very low, around 3%, so I guess Microsoft reckon a BD drive won't sell.

Cheers,
    Stephen

9. Fireblade

I'd suggest the reason it didn't sell as many as they'd hoped Stephen, was two-fold:

1. It was an expensive 'add-on'?

2. The ongoing "format war" - such that most folks didn't want to spend money on something which could well become (more or less) obsolete in the not-too-distant future?
    Which could be the very reason Microsoft didn't build it into the system in the first place of course?

But now that Blu-Ray has won out... why not develop a Blu-Ray player?
    Assuming they released it at a competitive price, I reckon it could sell well?
    Certainly more than their HD-DVD player!

So I'd also be interested to know where you read there won't now be a 360 Blu-Ray player [M]uuhh?

10. Fat Jez

I agree with what you are saying Davey, I just suspect that with MS it might be a case of once bitten, twice shy. The other thing of course, is that MS wanted HD-DVD to succeed, due to it's use of their HDi technology. Since it is unlikely that this will no longer be used, they might not be as bothered about making a BD drive.

I must admit, I would be tempted to add a BD drive to my 360, rather than risk spending several hundred pounds buying a player that might become obsolete at some point in the future, as the profile 1.0 players are now. With me and hi-def movie formats, it definitely is once bitten, twice shy.

Cheers,
    Stephen

11. Fireblade

Amen t' that :D

I recently bought meself a PS3 though, so I've got Blu-Ray covered for the immediate future at least :cool:
    Nonetheless... I've been eyeing up a dedicated Blu-Ray player (as you know) for my home theatre setup.
    And I'd also be interested in buying a 360 version, should they ever decide to go ahead with it (assuming they haven't already?).

12. DarkEntity

DarkEntity Im Skint, Bugger Off

Im awaiting the release 2.0 for BR....and the delivery of 30 days of night......grrrrrr

13. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

The HD add-on is basically a 3.5" USB enclosure styled to match the 360. Therefore changing it over to Blu-Ray should simply be a case of swapping the drives over and releasing new drivers over Xbox live and Windows updates or shipping them with the drive.

14. Fat Jez

You'll find there is a hell of a lot more to it than this. The HD-DVD playback software stressed the Xbox far more than any game has to date. The BD software is no different, it will be tremendously complex, will require an implementation of Java on the Xbox for BD+ (which hasn't been done before). It's far from just a case of hooking up a new drive and lobbing on some drivers.

Cheers,
    Stephen

15. Tom

Tom Merrrrrr

Well, my apologies for resurrecting an old[-ish] thread, but I thought it was a bit more sensible than starting a new one, given the subject.

Long story short, a company named Pegatron (actually a division of Asus dedicated to OEM manufacturing) have reportedly been awarded the contract for manufacturing a BlueRay-equipped Xbox 360.

That's some old-fashioned, wholesome cover-up right there! :)

Still think it's not the best idea myself, but there.

16. Fireblade

Interesting news!

Cheers for the update Tom ;)

17. Fat Jez

What will be interesting, assuming the rumour is confirmed, is how MS pitch it. Will they do what they did with HD-DVD and state it is for films only or will they allow people to use it for games? If it's the latter, I can see it causing a major split in the market between the haves and the have nots, which wouldn't do them any favours at all!

Cheers,
    Stephen

18. DarkEntity

DarkEntity Im Skint, Bugger Off

I read about this story on The Register and thought....*******s better not release a blue ray backed gaming machine....i don't mind if its used solely for films, but they will alienate a lot of users if its released as a gaming medium.

19. Tom

Tom Merrrrrr

To be fair, even if it's not released with a view to providing Blu-Ray games, there's a few things I can discern from this...

1) The original HD-DVD player was released as an add-on, because there was still a format war, and to save cost on the Xbox 360 itself. These problems are slowly sinking into memory.. So a built-in unit doesn't sound like such a bad idea any longer.

2) If they sell the 360 with a BD-ROM for several years, purely with HD video in mind, then when the time comes for games that require >10GB of optical space (are there any dual-disc games already?) they'll have quite a considerable user-base to justify selling single-disc copies on BD-ROM. By then, perhaps the cost of Blu-Ray discs will have fallen significantly?

3) Try playing some of the later-released PSX games on one of the original Playstations. From what I remember, it doesn't work too well. I guess by the time you've owned your 360 for 5 years, Microsoft may just assume that a large percentage will have broken theirs, or saved-up enough money for a new one... :p

I would have thought they'd go for digital distribution, or to stick with HD-DVD as a data format in the hope of reducing the piracy base, but I guess it's just all about keeping your financial options open, right?