Windows XP Updates

Discussion in 'Software' started by DelBoy, Aug 30, 2006.

Share This Page

1. DelBoy

DelBoy New Member

Hi

I have a problem with one of my PCs in that I can't get windows XP updates. If I connect to the update.microsoft.com site I get to the "checking for the latest updates for your computer...." page and the green bar scrolls across the screen but it never moves forward from there to show the updates and I can see from my modem that there is no internet up/down traffic i.e. it just gets to that screen and stops. Anyone got any ideas?

Many thanks

2. latency

latency Existentialist

I see this at work now and then, it's mind numbingly irritating.

Usually I just keep restarting the machine now and then untill it works, but it soundsly like this wont help you.

The only other way I get round it is to make sure automatic updates are switching on and let it run it's own course.

3. DelBoy

DelBoy New Member

Thanks for the quick response. I have tried several times over the last week to 10 days switching the machine on and off but with no luck. In fact the problem seems to be getting worse in that IE now just seems to stop responding and freezes the PC to the extent the only way out is to reset it

4. nicky munchkin

nicky munchkin Nick is not responding...

I cant remember the time an automatic update from microsoft actually solved anything. If you do get it working mate be careful because included in the latest update is a tool to check if your version of windows is legit.

5. Bursar

Bursar Regular Kustomer

How long are you leaving it? From a fresh XP SP2 install, I've seen it take several minutes before the greenbar finishes and the site moves on.

6. DelBoy

DelBoy New Member

Last night I left it for about 20 minutes a couple of times. As above IE just stopped responding (works fine for other sites just seems to be windows update that causes the problem) and the machine froze - I had to use the reset button.

Tried it on my other PC at the same time and it took only about 1-2 minutes to move on from that page.

7. TazUk

TazUk Oscillating wildly!

8. dave-lew99

dave-lew99 Super Kustomer

Try deleting/removing the ActiveX control that the Windows/Microsoft update sites use, then when you re-visit it'll re-download and install it.

9. DelBoy

DelBoy New Member

Where will I find this / how do I delete/remove it

I set the PC to automatic updates / notify me first and it downloaded the updates which I have now installed with no problems. However, I still can't get it to go through the update process manually - it still stops on that same screen with the green bar scrolling across the screen :confused:

10. master baits

master baits real name Juan Kerr

Install firefox , go to windizupdate.com (i think) and isntall that way

11. colweb

colweb Regular Kustomer

this usually fixes my Automatic Update (also Windows Update/Microsoft Update) problems (I manage 3000+ machines with WSUS at work)

close all IE windows
    stop the AU service (cmd prompt: net stop "Automatic Updates")
    delete the following folders C:\windows\softwaredistribution\datastore and download
    start AU again (net start "Automatic Updates")

try again, should be ok.

12. DelBoy

DelBoy New Member

Colweb, many thanks. That seems to have done the trick. Still waits about 5 minutes on the green scrolling bar page but then moved onto the list of updates page last night. Cheers

13. TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy Obey Him

Updates are a nightmare, best thing to do is give up. You ask it to update something after a fresh install it will find one or two then spread the rest out over weeks and weeks, why cant it do it all at once?

On one PC we have XP is on SP1, try getting hold of SP2, wouldn't it be easier to just put a download link!

/rant

14. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

15. colweb

colweb Regular Kustomer

Ive not seen these problems on an SP2 machine, build new SP2, 55 updates required, bobs your uncle. I always re-visit the WU page after updating just in case something else pops up.

Glad your fixed DelBoy, nice to get all up to date and feel a *little* safer.

:)

16. Fireblade

Fireblade Mental Modder[ator]!!

If you experience a similar problem in the future DelBoy, and the 'fix' you've used this time doesn't work for some reason... it would be worth trying the Windows Updates Downloader...