windows 8.1 - non-metro start menu?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Chenks, Apr 8, 2015.

Share This Page

1. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

i have windows 8.1 Pro installed (all updates installed).
    wasn't this supposed to bring back the option to enable to old style start menu? i can't seem to find a setting to do that anywhere.

i have it booting to the desktop, but when i click on start button it loads metro.

help?

2. TomH

TomH Kustomer

No, it just returned the button. If you want an "old style" start menu you'll have to install Start8 or similar.

3. Koolpc

Koolpc Not From Earth

Right click the Taskbar and select properties and then Navigation and choose Start Screen and then tick box that says;

When i sign in or close all applications on a screen, go to the desktop instead of start

4. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

As Tom says it does not bring back the older Start menu, just brings back things like the Start button, as well as other things like the power button on the start screen, booting straight to desktop (rather than the Start screen) and so on.

I believe Windows 10 has the option to switch between a Start menu and a Start screen but as a product that isn't finalised yet, let available yet.

For Windows 8 you can either deal with it (I actually really like it but accept I'm in the minority) or add a 3rd party application that will mimic the Start menu.

5. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

that doesn't bring a start menu, that just boots to the desktop, which i have already set.