Why do my rewritable discs fail to erase at 97%

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by dekadeka, Jun 17, 2015.

Share This Page

1. dekadeka

dekadeka Regular Kustomer

Have tried 3 different desktops, 5 different optical drives and over the time they all have the same issue, even brand new discs when they need to be wiped fail at 97% point which I assume is the finalise part.

Just bought a new batch of blank rewritables and the same issue.

If on the rare chance they get to 100% they burn fine so its just a issue with erasing the disc, you hear the drive just try and spin up and fail.

2. Ninjagordy

Ninjagordy Winner of The Game (UJFL)

........Ahhhh the good old days.... I remember when people used to burn discs......

3. Samsonite

Samsonite Mine's a frosty one

I would imagine the problem is with the discs. I always used to have problems with rewritable discs even when they first came out - never seemed reliable to the point where only certain brands worked (and even then, not all the time). Perhaps manufacturing has been cheapened and the quality of the discs is lacking - it does seem strange, but as I say, these issues existed (for me at least) from day one...

4. Flash

Flash Regular Kustomer

are both batches the same make ? way back when - iirc I had a 4x ricoh that was picky about discs, iirc the pioneer drives use to beer mat discs it didn't like

only discs I use now days are verbatim tbh cost wise pen drivers are the modern cd-rw

ps. if there really old stock they may of got damp ad started to deteriorate

5. dekadeka

Yes to new batch being same as a older batch I have, but other brands I have a problem with too, in fact supermarket brands I never have a issue with until they get scratched but even then they can be formatted fine its when they are burnt theres a issue.

If I get one of these to format then burning and reading is fine its just they fail to format past a certain place.

6. Flash

Flash Regular Kustomer

have you tried a different program like nero or alcohol 52/120%

7. Samsonite

I always found TDK discs the most reliable - not needed to buy any for over decade though!

8. Ninjagordy

Ninjagordy Winner of The Game (UJFL)

TDK went bust 9 years ago!!!!

9. Samsonite

Just as well I haven't need any for 10 years then!

10. Samsonite

Just for information, I most recently used a Varbatim CD to burn stuff. I bought it long ago in a spindle again. If all these makes have ceased to exist then that is probably the issue - no decent discs are being made any more.

11. dekadeka

Interesting, about 4 years ago I bought a few 25 pack cd'rs of TDK for 99p each at Tesco that I still own.

I use dvd'rw as I make OS discs, I know most people use a usb drive but I dont like that very much and many I tried refuse to work with OS information and the ones that do are better branded ones.

I got them working using my blu ray burner, I think its because the blu ray one seems to wipe them at a slow speed as I didnt hear the drive spin up at all and it took about 20 minutes total where the others took about 10-12 minutes to get to the 97% part then spin up like its reading a disc which is where they failed.