Which Chipset for HTPC

Discussion in 'Home Theatre Computing' started by kopite, Aug 21, 2008.

Share This Page

1. kopite

kopite Super Kustomer

Hey guys,

After my brother killed his computer I lost the parts for my HTPC so I've decided its time to build a new one from scratch. I want to do HD output at 1080p but want to keep it as cool as possible and as energy efficient as possible(so no separate graphics card)

I`ve been looking at the AMD 790 chip set and the interl G45 chipset. Cant seem to find much in the way of comparision of the both.

Basically I want to know which is gonna be the best for a HTPC wont be gaming on this only using for watching bluray films and some internet usage on the big screen tv.

Cheers

2. LSG501

LSG501 You can call me Levi

wouldn't it be better to look at how the graphics are going to be shown.

IIRC 790 is hd capable, not too sure on the intel one though does it even have built in graphics?

3. Dantes Inferno

Dantes Inferno New Member

the g45 as far as im aware is not available anywhere yet.

Im personally probably going to be going for the AMD 790gx withthe new sb750. However dont know if any are currently matx. If your worried about that and not bothered about sb750. You can stick with a 780g board

edit: seems it is available in certain places in the uk.

4. LSG501

edit you post again and then go and read the rules about competitors - I feel at the very least its rude to your hosts of this forum and most likely if you were to contact kpc they could say if they could get any in etc :rolleyes:

5. Dantes Inferno

my apologies i was merely trying to assist the original poster, most other places dont mind naming competitors aslong as you dont direct link.

Post has been edited anyway.
    Edit: Actually the rules state it is acceptable to mention other computer stores. Just not direct linking unless the item is not available on kustom pc. So i actually didn't do anything wrong.

6. LSG501

if you want to get picky :rolleyes:
    which by saying another company has one is in my view technically promoting another company especially considering asking kpc usually gets you said product in my experience.

7. Dantes Inferno

well if you actually want to get picky.

I only mentioned the competitor because i was trying to assist the original poster. I didn't want to leave him with false information by saying they weren't available when infact they are.

Anyways this discussion is futile because we clearly share different opinions on the subject.

8. LSG501

well you could argue the product is actually a motherboard which are sold or you could have simply gone a competitor is showing 790 boards now so maybe contact kpc to see if they can get them too :p

oh and by the way the only 790gx board listed is full atx and its not available yet - its pre-order :rolleyes:

9. kopite

kopite Super Kustomer

Both the chipsets i`ve mentioned have onboard graphics they seem to be about to be released from what i can gather.

I have a panasonic th-42z70b so the telly is ful 1080p.

Now I dont mind paying up to 100 for the board but I dont want to be paying money for features that I will never use.

Im gonna be using a bluray rom drive to watch films from and compact flash for the OS.

OS wise Im leaning towards Vista although I havent looked at mythtv for a while so maybe they have hdtv playback now.

10. LSG501

to make any use of the gpu decoding of hd you need powerdvd installed which afaik won't actually work with any of the 'media centers', I don't know of any direct codecs. So in some respects it might be better looking at a low power phenom tri/quad core as you want lower power plus an nvidia 8200 based board (not sure on m-atx though) as that should work with the powerdvd if needed.

11. Dantes Inferno

I was actually talking about the G45 boards, which are available and in matx. I myself am waiting for the 790gx full atx board.

Any linux platform cannot play back blu-ray straight from disc, so thats a no go area atm.

As for processors with a 780g/790gx or 8200/8300 solution all you need is something like a 4850e cpu or even the 4050e.

As for features from the boards each manufacturer slaps on different stuff so it varies.

as for the hardware decoding i havent heard of it being restricted to powerdvd, however there are a couple of front ends that allow you to choose a player to use.