Which? Biased Reviews

Discussion in 'Rant forum' started by Samsonite, May 6, 2015.

Share This Page

1. Samsonite

Samsonite Mine's a frosty one

This is a bit random, but I was leafing through some issues of Which? magazine which were lying around at my mother-in-laws and found a round-up of laptops. There were about 10 laptops reviewed and various accolades awarded - the editor's choice was a Mac Book Pro with a review score of 87% - nothing wrong with that - it seems to be better than the other ones on review.

I get to the end of the reviews and there is a table of other laptops that were reviewed but did not actually have a featured review and lo and behold there is another laptop (an Asus or something, can't remember) and that is joint 1st with 87%, yet there was no review featured in this section.

This seems a bit dishonest really - how can you not compare an equally rated laptop despite having scored it - there is no two ways about the fact that they are pushing one product over another - I mean at least be dishonest enough to lower the score of the other product to make it add up!

I then looked at other reviews and found that they always favoured John Lewis and Waitrose products for anything from washing machines to radios and food.

You pay to read reviews of Which? online, but after going through the reviews and seeing how obviously biased they are - no thanks!

2. thegreatpoobarr

thegreatpoobarr New Member

It's a long time since I looked at a Which? review, but did they list the criteria for scoring? Could well be that upon looking at the breakdown of the laptop scoring the Asus scored higher on features, but the Mac scored higher on ease of use, which is of course (given their target audience) the kind of thing Which? get excited over.

On Favouring John Lewis and Waitrose? Yup, me too. Have you seen their warranties? Have you experienced their customer service when things go wrong? Both Ipads I bought my other half came from there, since they offered a better standard warranty than Apple themselves, as have any large household purchases - Washing machine, vacuum cleaner (both Miele, so warranty wasn't a huge issue really), TeeVee, etc.

3. Samsonite

Samsonite Mine's a frosty one

Regarding the laptop, it's not about which is their preferred one, but not even showing a review of the joint top scoring laptop. You can think of it as advertising if you like - you can and should pick your favourite, but to not even mention the main contender and instead show 9 rubbish laptops to compare? Not right at all.

Regarding John Lewis, I am talking about their own brand products. I buy things from them for the warranties too, although customer service is poor if you order from their website... I have stopped buying John Lewis branded stuff because the quality has gone right down - cheaply made stuff and re-branded cheap brands underneath. Which? don't seem to mind though.

It's largely irrelevant because you are better off reading Amazon reviews from real people - 10,000 reviews from customers is going to be more useful than a biased reviewer. It only pains me that I see people (my family included) buying stuff and complaining "Which? said it was best so I can only assume other ones are terrible...". Sigh.

4. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

Which? reviews are a waste of time. I have nothing to back it up but it's my belief that as well as being paid by readers they're paid for the reviews by the manufacturers and/or retailers. Or to put it another way, there's no way they'd produce those "free" guides they advertise on TV actually for free, they must be funded somehow.

In fairness it may well have been reviewed previously. At the end of a new car review many car magazines will compare it to the 'top 5' in it's class. For example if they were to review a new Golf they would place it against a Focus, Mazda 3, Astra etc. Doesn't mean they're going to review all of those cars again to justify where in the top 5 they've put the Golf. Instead those cars will have a star rating and a sentence or two as to how they compare or how they sit in the marketplace.

5. Koolpc

Koolpc Not From Earth

Woof