where should I look for a good bike...?

Discussion in 'Sport' started by Cod Ball, Nov 14, 2008.

Share This Page

1. Cod Ball

Cod Ball odd ball

I've decided that it's time to get off my ass and do some excercise....I'm going to get back into mountain biking as I used to love it yeaaars ago. Im also going to start cycling to work, it's only about 30 mins ride.
    But where do you think Is the best place to look for a nice bike and what sort of price am I looking to pay? I have birthday and Christmas coming up and a fair bit of money saved, what are your thoughts?

2. six5tring

six5tring Silent Kristian Konsumer

Don't think you can go far wrong by popping off to your local bike store and having a chat to them first!

six

3. robpatterson

robpatterson Aqua Artist

If you know about bikes then you know the kit you want, maybe get a mag to see prices of bits. I built my mountain bike for £600 and it is valued at £1,500 so thats the way to get a bargain and exactly what you want.

4. Cod Ball

Cod Ball odd ball

Alright the next question I have to ask is can anyone suggest a good make?
    I know bugger all about them and have decided to spend about £300/£400 on a bike, I know it's not a huge amount but i'm sure in a few years if needs be i'd spend a bit more.
    The only proper brand I know is Kona lol.
    I found this one that looked pretty good

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Kona_Shred_Dirt_Jump_2007/5360026469/

But for all I know it could be RUBBISH.
    It say's it's 13" but who's to say how big that is! (not me)

5. Fat Jez

Fat Jez Master of the High Five!

Kona are generally a good make :)

6. LSG501

LSG501 You can call me Levi

It should be the bit between the crank and where the seat comes out on the frame - so the longer vertical bit. By the looks of the link its probably the one in the picture assuming the wheels are the standard 26" type.
    So working on that and memory, as long as you don't have inside legs shorter than 28" you should be fine although you may need a longer saddle shaft bit.

7. robpatterson

robpatterson Aqua Artist

Say your 6 feet tall then normally you would want a 17" or 18" but that Kona is a jump frame so the virtual is shorter, 13" sounds about right and the wheels are 26" so it looks ok. DMR, GT, Saracen, Orange and Scott are all good makes but remember the make is just the frame and its the bits strapped to the frame that make the bike. You need good quality hubs, bottom bracket, headset and cranks otherwise its like a Lamborghini with the engine from a ford focus. The Kona looks good for the money only thing is it dosnt say what Shimano bits it has so could be good or could be cheep.

8. Fat Jez

Personally, I'd be wary of a Saracen frame, the one I had was pretty poor quality (I paid £300 for it at the time, the bottom bracket went within a week and none of the bike shops I took it to ever managed to get the gears adjusted so the chain didn't catch on the front chain rings)

9. robpatterson

robpatterson Aqua Artist

Not being funny Jez but the bottom bracket and the chain catching are not to do with the frame. Personally I wouldn't touch Saracen with a barge pole but they offer good bikes for the £300-£400 price band, kinda like getting a Dell vs building your own.

10. Fat Jez

Agreed, but if the quality of the components they are using is this poor, what does it say about the quality of the frame? The Kona I have now has been superb, no problems at all.

11. Cod Ball

Cod Ball odd ball

ahh thanks for all the information guys!
    Is there anything you've seen which would be a good starter mountain bike, £400 job done?
    I really am a complete and utter retard when it comes to this stuff, infact...that's an insult to retarded people, I'm sorry.

12. robpatterson

robpatterson Aqua Artist

13. robpatterson

robpatterson Aqua Artist