What's on, Wattson?

Discussion in 'Articles / Guides' started by Graeme*Kustom*, Jun 6, 2008.

Share This Page

1. Graeme*Kustom*

Graeme*Kustom* Administrator

2. brumster

brumster Midland Muppet

Great article. Something I'd be keen to know is how to make an MCE box energy friendly. I'd like it to standby when not being used, but still be quick to fire up when you want to watch something, and also that it fires up when it needs to record something. Or maybe just appropriate use of Intel SpeedStep will mean it doesn't need to be put into standby, as low power mode will suffice?

I'm sorely tempted with one of these.... you might be getting an order soon if I can get the missus interested.

3. Graeme*Kustom*

Yeh, you'll see that I point out that there's another part to come - time is as always my enemy, but I want to try and look at the cost of running an individual PC for a year and find ways to reduce that eg will swapping to an 80+ PSU / low energy use processor make a noticable difference and be a returnable investment.

I'll get to work on it asap.

4. Westy5

Westy5 Space

Hi G,

Nice article,

The youtube video doesn't seem to play though...

5. six5tring

six5tring Silent Kristian Konsumer

videos fine here!

six

6. Graeme*Kustom*

It probably won't work if you have something installed that blocks embedded flash. It definitely works fine in ie / firefox / safari otherwise.

I'll make a note to add a URL underneath later.

7. Westy5

Westy5 Space

S'OK, working now - returned a YouTube error that the video did not exist first time.

(Not got it blocked, it appeared a server-side issue)

8. brumster

brumster Midland Muppet

My order's in ;) looking forward to trying to tweak my bills down a bit. Hate to think how much my 24x7 server is costing me...

9. ArTizan

ArTizan Member of the Month

I'm guessing you sell these? Couldn't see any link to them in the article, but they look quite cool!

10. brumster

brumster Midland Muppet

11. Westy5

Westy5 Space

12. ArTizan

ArTizan Member of the Month

You should link to the product from the article really, thanks for the link - Loads of people who don't know you might find / read this, want one and then Google for it.

But yeh a bit pricey - would still like one though.

13. brumster

brumster Midland Muppet

The amount of electrical items we run here at home is awful, to be honest, so we'll probably get a better benefit out of it than some... will report my findings :) !

14. Graeme*Kustom*

Yeh, I'm going to update the article on a couple of points and realised afterwards I forgot to include a link to the product. Silly me.

It had been a long week :)

15. Graeme*Kustom*

Added a separate URL for youtube in case the embedded bit isn't showing, and links to the product too. Nearly forgot that I have to try and sell things to make a living for a moment.

You can see also what we've spent some of the money saved from our electricity bill on in our latest blog http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=212207328&blogID=404396475

Recycled and degradable carrier bags for extra green-ness.

Although we've set up a great big fridge too but it's fairly light on power use.

I'm aiming to have us at the low 20's in kW/H energy use by the end of the summer. Have already switched off my desktop and started using my more power-efficient laptop, which uses about 40-50W less power and I'll be looking at replacing the stock area lighting with more efficient fittings and tubes soon.