What's coming up at CES 2008?

Discussion in 'Tech News' started by Fireblade, Dec 20, 2007.

Share This Page

1. Fireblade

Fireblade Mental Modder[ator]!!

Find out in this PC Pro article ;)

As well as highlighting many interesting new products which will feature at the show,
    the article has one notable 'Pre-show rumour', which I personally found particularly surprising!

Namely that:

:(

We'll hopefully get more up-to-date news on that rumour during the show itself... which you can check on the PC Pro website from 6th January 2008 ;)

2. Tom

Tom Merrrrrr

Hope not!

It's just too Sony-ified. To be honest though, I'm all for digital content these days. If I could have a decent download source for [non-DRM'd] 1080p content, I'd happily buy it. For what you can stick on a 1TB drive (even two for some mirroring, and maybe a HoloDisc for backup? :p) it'd probably cost you less in the long run. :)

3. Bootup05

Bootup05 Bootup05

4. Tom

Tom Merrrrrr

Mmm 3MB per core on the Q9450. Lovely :D

5. Xantho Nyx

Xantho Nyx Regular Kustomer

and only $300

Mmmmm

6. BudoBob

BudoBob Regular Kustomer

Sony doesn't have a very good track record for new formats, you only have to look at their developments over the years:

Betamax, Minidisc, UMD and now Blueray.
    On the other hand they did bring us DVDs, but that was in colaberation with Philips.

Looking forward to the new CPUs due this month. I was going to go for an E6750 but depending on price I might be swayed to go for one of the new generation.

7. master baits

master baits real name Juan Kerr

yeah but they were successful to a point.

betamax was still used for decent quality newsfeed capture well up until digital became affordable.Miniidisk was ahead until mp3 cd players and laterly solid state players..... but i have no user benefitted reply for umd , it was cheaper than using solid state and less pirateable which in all rights is what sony was after.

8. Tom

Tom Merrrrrr

Mmm.. I wouldn't be so quick to praise them for DVD. If Wikipedia is to be believed, Sony and Panasonic were originally trying to push a format against the majority (like Sony quite does) and it took the former CEO of IBM (?!) to have Sony & Panasonic join with the majority. The DVD Forum was born and DVD was standardised.

But then they did it again: Sony was a big proponent of DVD+R, over the DVD Forum's DVD-R format.

The only reason that BD is winning the Studios around, over HD, is that it's harder to copy. That won't last, but at present I believe Slysoft were the only ones to do it (and kept the code to themselves.) Correct me if that's changed, however.

Even so, Sony won't change. They say they're now 'listening' but you wait; there'll be alsorts of rubbish to come... I'm sure I heard of another silly new format recently. Abusing their standpoint in the tech market is only going to wind them up with the same Anti-Trust lawsuits that Microsoft have.

9. BudoBob

BudoBob Regular Kustomer

My intension was not to praise Sony but to soften the negativity of my previous comment.

10. SickJoda

SickJoda Wanna-Be Banned Member

the 150" plasma TV *drool*