What laptop to buy?

Discussion in 'Silent PC's' started by silentnight, Mar 12, 2011.

Share This Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silentnight

silentnight Registered User

Hi, i would like to have a laptop for home use, i want listen to the music collection, surf the net and play high quality games. I was thinking of using a DEGEE laptop as a server.
    My budget is quite generous £500 and i want it to be as future proof as possible. The plan is to network the whole home so everyone has access and be able to watch what they want at anyone time.
    Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. Ninjagordy

Ninjagordy Winner of The Game (UJFL)

hi dude,

sadly.....your generous budget of £500 is not quite generous enough in laptop term when it comes to high quality gaming. you may pick up a half decent 2nd hand machine that will run games at that price (high quality games so to speak).

if you want a gaming laptop that's new for £500 expect it to be very low end gaming.

sorry if that's not the answer you were hoping for but proper gaming laptops are in the thousands not hundreds

cheers

Gordy!

3. latency

latency Existentialist

It's worth noting that MSI have got a couple of Low End Gaming laptops, they're only i3, but they have dedicated graphics, I've seen one playing Black Ops at very reasonable quality.

Apparently they can be had for £550-£600...

My ears on the ground also tell me Lenovo have an IdeaPad Z560 with an i5, 4GB RAM, and a GT310m at ~£550 at the moment- it's also a stunning laptop to look at, with a very cool brand.

The GT310m won't exactly blow your mind, but again, it's a gamers card at under £600.

4. Samsonite

Samsonite Mine's a frosty one

Because you only have one native resolution, I think for a cheap gaming laptop, it's worth getting a lower res screen like 1280x800 - you can always plug into a monitor if you need a bigger screen. I bought a Toshiba for £300 with a dedicated Radeon - it could play most games at average detail settings, so for £500 at a lower res, it should be ok-ish. You are not going to play games at a higher res than that on a cheapy anyaway.

5. Ninjagordy

another thing worth mentioning...i got a factory refurbed xps 1730 with sli 8800 gtx's off a company on ebay...the laptop was as new...and looked totally new...it was a beast of a system....for 1 week...... then the gtx's failed and i sent it back..... there are some machines out there that are prone to graphics errors and when you buying a laptop, especially a 2nd user laptop...take note on the cost to replace one of these.... dell wanted more than i got the xps for (£550). do some research into what your looking at first as well before you part with your cash!! :)

6. silentnight

silentnight Registered User

thanks

Thanks for your suggestions.
    Did you heard of DEGEE laptop?

7. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

I've never heard of this laptop brand and I'm curious about what you mean by running your laptop as a server. Do you mean as a full 24/7 server or as something for development work?

8. Kermit98

Kermit98 Regular Kustomer

No, but a google search makes me think they aren't worth bothering with.

Laptops are not best suited to sever roles. Severs are traditionally built to be 24/7, laptops are not.

If it is just network storage you are after to allow the network to listen to music/watch videos you would be better buying yourself a NAS (Network Attached Storage).

9. chrisgayle

chrisgayle New Member

Following are the laptops with heavy music collection, net surfing facilities, gaming capabilities and budget is quite within £500 pounds.
    1.Dell Inspiron 1546
    2.Dell Studio 15 15.6

10. latency

latency Existentialist

No offense chrisgayle, but please stop necropsying old threads with this BS.

Both the laptops you mentioned are a series brand, and thus could have specs ranging from rubbish to outstanding.

Neither of them have dedicated graphics as standard, and "heavy music collection, net surfing facilities" does not require a £500 laptop.

11. labgamers

labgamers Banned

The MacBook Pro is a line of Macintosh portable computers introduced in January 2006 by Apple Inc., and now in its third generation. Replacing the PowerBook G4, the MacBook Pro was the second model, after the iMac, to be announced in the Apple–Intel transition. It is also the high-end model of the MacBook family and is currently produced with 13- and 15-inch screens, although a 17-inch version has been offered previously.

Although its a bit Cost too much... But it will surely be worth to buy.,..

12. labgamers

labgamers Banned

The MacBook Pro is a line of Macintosh portable computers introduced in January 2006 by Apple Inc., and now in its third generation. Replacing the PowerBook G4, the MacBook Pro was the second model, after the iMac, to be announced in the Apple–Intel transition. It is also the high-end model of the MacBook family and is currently produced with 13- and 15-inch screens, although a 17-inch version has been offered previously.

Although its a bit Cost too much... But it will surely be worth to buy.,..

13. Ninjagordy

Thread Resurrection....you cant beat it!! :)

14. Bryanese

Bryanese Tasted LAN and liked it.

Thread Resurrection no Jutsu!

What bothers me most is that MacBook Pros do not fit all of the criteria outlined by the original poster. For one suitable for gaming, you're looking at £1400. It just goes to show that given all the time in the world, some of us still struggle to come to a well-informed decision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.