What do you do with old hardware?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jayos, Aug 8, 2017.

Share This Page

1. jayos

jayos Registered Trader

Been having a clear out and I have enough old PC bits and bobs to open a shop, hahaha.

Pentium D, Core 2 duo E6600, i7 860, 8800GT, DDR2, DDR3, P5 Q3 Deluxe, P7 P55D, P8 H77, P8 Z77 VPro. Oh and how many HDD's?? 10+
    IDE, SCSI, SATA, 5400, 7200, 10000, VelociRaptor, SDD, M2

The list goes on............
    Think I may build what I can and stick old OS's on each one, then put them in the loft for a rainy day. Retro Pc's to show the grand kids in a few years.

What do you do with your old stuff?

2. DexDiner

DexDiner Gumpcom Survivor

Looked at your list, laughed, and realised it's all quite modern.

My own hoarding goes back a little further.

My own stuff goes back to a Pentium 133MHz, Pentium 2s, Pentium 3s as well as original Athlons and their predecessor K6 processors. Those were they days of socket 7 when you had the choice of whether to install an Intel Pentium or an AMD K6 processor into your motherboard. SDR RAM, I originally had SIMMs which you had to install into the motherboard in matching pairs. Hard drives - oh my god, 2.5", 3.5", 5400/7200/10000 rpm, IDE, SATA,SCSI,SCA,SAS. The first hard drive I ever bought was a massive 4.7GB in capacity.

And this is only some of the stuff not currently in machines.

I do have a Pentium 3 retro build for running anything down to Windows 95. For long enough I was running it with a 147GB 10K SCA hard drive but have a bit more recently tried running it with a 64GB SSD without success. :(