Web design in Photoshop

Discussion in 'Programming' started by raabot, Jan 27, 2010.

Share This Page

1. raabot

raabot New Member

Hey everyone.

Was just looking some advice about learning web design in photoshop. Basically I would like to learn it to a reasonably basic level very quickly.

Would anyone here recommend any particular sites for tutorials tips etc?

Any help appreciated.

2. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

why would you be doing web design in a photo manipulation app ?

3. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Photoshop is a graphics / photo editing tool. I think you're thinking of Dreamweaver which is a GUI web IDE.

You can use What You See is What You Get or actually code the website.

4. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

personally if you are serious about learning web coding etc, then notepad is the only application you need.

5. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Notepad++ is what I'd recommend. Colour coded syntax for the win plus you can have tabs.

6. latency

latency Existentialist

To collate the information here- To code websites properly, use notepad and learn the code.

If you're looking to design the LOOK of your website for concept art, you want Fireworks. Photoshop is rubbish for designing a user interface, such as a website.

7. raabot

raabot New Member

Thanks for the replies lads.

I seem to have miscommunicated what i meant to say. I already know how to code websites fairly well, but instead its designing the look as my uni have had a visual designer drop out and need someone to cover for the rest of the year.

Virtually every tutorial i've ever come across for visuals on websites has been Photoshop. Why is Fireworks much better latency?

8. BloomerzUK

BloomerzUK I'm back!

Fireworks is better for slicing etc IIRC.

9. latency

latency Existentialist

Dunno... You can certainly do it in photoshop... But Fireworks is about ten times easier to use. It's designed for this sort of thing, where as photoshop is designed for manipulation.

You have to tinker more in photoshop to do really obvious stuff like exact pixel dimensions and alignment, where as in Fireworks, these are the most prominent items in the toolbar.

Photoshop is designed for the output to be printed, where as fireworks generally assumes that the output is web oriented, so it's easier to translate what you designed into your code.

Might just be personal preference, or that I learned Fireworks before photoshop, so photoshop just feels harder.
    Photoshop for web design is like I'm trying to cut a grape in half with a samurai sword. It works, but you're kinda making it harder than it needs to be.

10. raabot

raabot New Member

Ahhhh, i'm getting you now.

In that case, would you advise on any particular websites for tutorials to get me started?

Thanks!

11. gmyers

gmyers Banned

Photoshop is just one of the tools you will need (well, not really..)

I work as a freelance web developer. I typically use a combination of HTML/CSS/Javascript/PHP so those are the things you will want to learn first. Get yourself a big book on all of those.

Only once you have mastered all of those (or at least HTML/CSS/JS if you want to be a front end designer) should you begin using Photoshop. Essentially photoshop just speeds up design for CSS slicing.

12. amogrr

amogrr New Member

I've also seen a few tuts lying around for website mock-ups on gimp.

13. Zozart

Zozart used to be splaty

Far as text editors go: vi tbh. ;)

As has been said, Fireworks will be more suitable than Photoshop for web designs if you don't know either tool, but you can always try Gimp too.

14. Samsonite

Samsonite Mine's a frosty one

+1 for GIMP. I have the full Adobe CS4 suite at work, but I prefer to use GIMP for web graphics - it is way faster and easier to use for web-related stuff. Also because GIMP is available on the 3 main platforms: Mac (work), Windows & Linux (both at home) and is gratis, it makes life a lot easier!

Oh and in answer to your question about tutorials and tips, it seems as though there are plenty of results on Google for "gimp web design tutorial" (without quotes).

15. blackstar

blackstar Regular Kustomer

try photoshop and fireworks - a massive amount of web designers do use photoshop, and theres many, many tutorials about based on photoshop.
    its excellent for non - vector artwork.

psdtuts
    smashingmagazine

are just two i can think of right now.

16. Thourot

Thourot New Member

you can find tutorials in youtube....

17. Thourot

Thourot New Member

try to search on youtube you will find lots of nice videos with step by step presentations.

18. AllisterBansi

AllisterBansi New Member

To create effective pixel-precise layouts for computer screens, or to make quick changes to screen layouts. Photoshop tends to be used for this purpose however, because users are familiar with the program, and are not aware that Fireworks was designed for this specific purpose...

19. Bryanese

Bryanese Tasted LAN and liked it.

Thread Resurrection no Jutsu!

20. norah

norah Banned

First of all you do not actually need to learn about the Photoshop for web developing. If you want to do this for your own purpose then I will suggest you the YouTube. You will find some of the best and effective tutorial about Photoshop.