Water cooling doesnt seem to keep cpu that cool

Discussion in 'Cooling / Overclocking' started by dekadeka, Sep 13, 2014.

Share This Page

1. dekadeka

dekadeka Regular Kustomer

Trying to keep this short, I was pretty happy with the cooling when I was at old flat but now and again put paste on if I noticed a bigish jump in temps but overall was fine.

I moved to new property and temps were lower than the old one but then my water cooler died so got a replacement, temps were fine but a little higher than my previous water cooler(same type, same brand etc) so I decided to reseat the cooler since it wasnt sitting right but the tank leaked and killed the board too so got them replaced, again same board and water cooler.

Since then the temps have been about 10 degrees higher on idle and when using a game dont seem to be keeping that cool i.e I was playing Saints Row 3 for 45 minutes and it went up to almost 80 degrees on the cpu.

My theories are basic, the issues occured after I began storing my thermal paste in the freezer so maybe I have ruined the paste? It still seems as thick as it was.

Theory 2 is that the water cooler despite being same model as before has worse coolant or the fans are not kicking up as my entire time playing game fans never got any faster, point 2 on that is I used to mount the back of case direct to radiator but now use the anti vibration pad between it so maybe the heat isnt dissapating as well.

I even tried installing Windows 8 onto a 2nd drive to check if it was a Windows 7 issue or somethings wrong with my install and that had same temps.

I do have a aircooler but problem with that is I need to find the fan that attaches to the heatsink to get it to work.

Any theories?

2. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

Freezers are for food, ice and alcohol. Why on earth would you put thermal paste in the freezer?

3. dekadeka

dekadeka Regular Kustomer

Because people online recommend it lol, well they say it increases shelf life by a little unless its a cheap one that can mess up when frozen.

I think I have worked out the problem, I notice the 2 pipes were tangled(came that way from manufactuer) I loosened the pipe and put it back on and made sure it had some slack, got about 30 degrees idle(but at the time I did have a window slightly open. I cooked in kitchen next to living room which heated up room and it still stuck at 31 degrees, it was only when I had to bend it a little to fit side of case back on proper it went about 33-35 idle which is better than it was so seems to be pipe based problem.

4. FinlandsForsh

FinlandsForsh ChrisForsh

might or ruined the pump if there was a blockage in the pipe

pump my not be flowing as it should