Vodafone, O2 and mobile data.

Discussion in 'Technology / Gadget Forum' started by Bryanese, Sep 7, 2011.

Share This Page

1. Bryanese

Bryanese Tasted LAN and liked it.

I've been a long time customer of O2 for, well, a long time now (like, since the BT Cellnet days). I'm perfectly happy with O2 - their deals and added extras as well as coverage make them a brilliant service provider - but the only carrier offering a Pre 3 on a contract is Vodafone.

So, I'm wondering: what's Vodafone like as a carrier? There are lots of figures and comparisons between the two if you do a quick Google search but I'm wanting to hear from peoples' experiences with them.

The other thing was mobile data: what's a rough usage figure if you're just doing a general bit of browsing and the occasional FPSRussia/Team Four Star video on YouTube? I can't see the periodical update of Latitude using too much data. I've done a little research but the numbers vary wildly between those just checking their email and those who can't stop reading "bored.com," "I'm so ill : ( ," "Jersey Shore!!" ad infinitum on Facespace.

Thanks muchly : )

2. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

To be honest I'd wait and see what happens to the Pre3 first. It's either going to slowly disappear off the face of the planet or it'll be sold at massive discounts like the Touchpad was and if you're lucky you might be able to pick one up at a bargain price then go for a sim only contract (or O2 simplicity) - or get a contract and sell the phone or keep it as a spare or whatever.

Pre3 doesn't seem to be on Vodafone's website - and HP shows it as sold out so don't think that's a good sign to be honest?

3. latency

latency Existentialist

Personally I think the best phones are Android or iPhone.

Both platforms are behemoths and have the bet app stores and support.

Data wise, I browse the internet on my phone when waiting for stuff, I watch YouTube vids a couple of times a week, and use maps and stuff a few times a week- I average about 200-400MB a month.

I think the only way you'll need more than 500MB is by being a heavy user, like browsing every day on the train or whatever, or if you're tethering your phone.

4. Bryanese

It's available through the Carphone Warehouse and Vodafone is listed as the carrier.

Funny, I'm actually on Simplicity and if I could get my hands on a Pre 3 handset I'd just chuck my current SIM card in it but the prices people are asking for on eBay are nuts. It was my intention to just buy the phone but I don't have that sort of disposable cash at the moment and a contract seemed like a viable solution.

As for the Touchpad, prices fell to something silly, like $99, but we never saw those price drops this side of the Atlantic (not yet, hopefully!).

5. Bryanese

Very true, WebOS' app catalog is abysmal when compared to Android's let alone the eleventy-billion apps for iOS. But I'm fond of my Pre and I love the fact no one else I run into has one. WebOS is also well supported by a very dedicated and friendly community of enthusiasts, however, if someone was to just GIVE me a Samsung Galaxy R (the dual-core Tegra model) I'd drop my Pre pretty quickly and if I ever truly wanted an iOS device, I'd get an iPad.

Thanks a lot for an answer to my data usage question, Latency - muchos helpfuls! (^^,)

6. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

Yes we did, 16GB at £89 and 32GB at £115 but they pretty much sold out everywhere within minutes.

Last I heard the factory is doing a final production run on the Touchpad, but none of the stock will be coming here.

7. Bryanese

Sugar plum fairy tits! Well, at least I'll take comfort in the fact that they sold out near instantly... not much, mind.

8. LSG501

LSG501 You can call me Levi

I got one of the 16GB touchpads for £89 :)

Have been tempted by getting a pre3 too if I can find one for the £75 they're supposed to be selling for now but they all seem out of stock :(

As to vodafone - signal etc is fine, customer service is appalling in my experience, it was so bad that I left vodafone after 10+ years with them.

9. Ninjagordy

Ninjagordy Winner of The Game (UJFL)

i use my ZTE Blade (Orange Sanfransisco) for everthing on the move. for the money, theres no phone yet that will touch it. upgrade it to 2.3.4 android and your good to go!!

10. Bryanese

Darn you... Out of interest, which sites in particular are you browsing to find Touchpads and Pre 3s for sale? eBay just doesn't seem like the best place to get one at the moment.

Ah! Thanks for the advice with regards to Vodafone. That's helped a lot - I do love O2's customer support and I guess I'll just keep my Pre to hand until I can get a Pre 3 in the future and just fire my current SIM in it.

Thanks, man! : )

Aye... After a quick bit of googling I found myself wondering, "why do I not have this device in my life?!" They seem to go for just over £100 on fleBay and for what you're getting hardware wise - good golly.

Thanks, Gordy. I'll definitely keep one of those in mind as an Android alternative. : )

11. LSG501

for the pre3 no where in particular. I basically tried ALL day during the firesale to grab the touchpad. They sold out within minutes of being reduced. I was lucky and got mine at amazon :)

Yeah the touchpad is an ok device, it's needs some preware tweaks though as it's laggy when you first get it. Still want an android or windows slate though but for 90 quid you can't complain :)

I forgot to say I moved to O2 for my mobile (currently with a hacked orange san francisco :)) but will likely be switching to t-mobile as the O2 signal has steadily got worse here

12. Bryanese

Funny, it's the opposite here: the T-Mobile signal was always rubbishy compared to O2's. Mind you, don't Orange and T-Mobile share their networks now or something?

Right, thanks for all the information, guys. Muchos helpfuls and muchos appreciated! : )

13. Samsonite

Samsonite Mine's a frosty one

Is the ZTE Blade really that good? I looked at the specs and it didn't look so great. I never know which phone to get. I got an HTC Desire HD from work earlier in the year and to be honest I think it's awesome! The worst thing is that people think it's an iPhone 4 at first glance - that's not a bad thing apart from the awkward "erm, it's not really an 'iPhone' love" - yes, nice phones are winners when talking to random birds at a business/drinks do...

14. LSG501

for the price the san frans a brilliant little phone. It's never going to replace a higher end like the desire hd or galaxy s/s2 but then it's not supposed to either. It will do me until I need a new phone or the next nexus comes out :)

15. liadbacklad

liadbacklad All donations welcome!

I typically use the £10 a month top up for some texts and 500mb, i consider myself to a be a a relatively heavy user of my internet, facebook, slashdot, bbc etc are all on 30 min updates, as is hotmail, gmail etc. And in 9 months I've not hit the limit yet, or even been close. I dunno, 500mb seems to go a really long way on a phone! I was surprised, I expected 500mb to be gone in minutes considering how much usage i have at home! :)

16. Bryanese

Ta much, liadbacklad, that's useful to hear, especially seeing as an upgrade is coming much sooner than I expected. Went and dropped my Pre face first from about six feet up last night and now it's more or less Goosed (talk about brown alert...).

After the feedback, I'm hesitant to move to Vodafone regardless of how much I like the look of the Pre 3. A ZTE Blade may be in order if the price is right!

Once again, thanks all.

UPDATE: I'm now the proud owner of a WHITE Galaxy S II : )