Vista Scores

Discussion in 'Benchmarks' started by Samsonite, Mar 17, 2009.

Share This Page

1. Samsonite

Samsonite Mine's a frosty one

When I frist saw these a couple of years ago, I thought it was a nice feature, but in reality it is pointless, especially now that everyone's PCs are hitting the strange limit of 5.9.

Are they going to update it at all - why don't they have an uncapped score so that you can just keep on getting higher scores?

Despite thinking it's pointless, that does not people wanting to max out the scores!

2. Fat Jez

Fat Jez Master of the High Five!

Windows 7 has higher score limits.

3. Samsonite

Ok, installed Windows 7 and the limit is now 7.9 (which my radeon hits). I still don't understand why they have a limit at all - it just means that you only know how high your hardware is rated if it falls below the limit!

4. Tom

Tom Merrrrrr

I don't think it's really designed to be a benchmark; there's much other software available for that.

It's only there so that if you're complaining about a lack of performance, you can see where the potential downfall might be. They know 7.9, or 5.9 across the board is the point where you shouldn't see a lack of performance.

I really don't see what the problem is, other than you've mistaken the idea of it?

5. Samsonite

Not really a problem, but showing 7.9 for things which scored higher just gives incorrect figures relatively speaking.

In fact they should use a percentage system as that looks a lot better and would be the correct way of presenting this data.

6. Tom

Tom Merrrrrr

Not if they intended on increasing the maximum obtainable score with subsequent releases. It would create discontiguous, incomparable results between Windows versions.

I would imagine that theoretically, if you were to score >5.9 for each test, you'd score the same on Vista and 7. That would explain why they use the system they do.

In reality, there's probably some small differences. Windows 7 has been optimised for lower-end hardware after-all. But I wouldn't agree with a percentile result for the hardware ratings at all.

7. Samsonite

The percentage would be relevant for each release of Windows, so people would have a clear indication how close to the top they. They are different between Vista and 7 - I get 5.5 CPU in Vista and 5.9 CPU in 7, so yeah - incomparible.

The figures cannot be contiguous because the way they are measured is not the same between versions. At least with a percentage, you could say "I get 90% on Vista, but 95% on 7, 50% on 8..." - instead of "I get 5.5/5.9 in Vista, 5.9/7.9 in 7..."

I would certainly prefer that than thinking hey 5.5 is close to the arbitrary limit of 5.9.

So in full - it's a load of rubbish! But the numbers do look nice and shiny :)

8. Fat Jez

Fat Jez Master of the High Five!

The idea behind it is that software is rated for the level of pc required to run it, e.g. application/game x needs a PC rating of at least 3 to run successfully. In other words, the max rating being capped at 5.9 or 7.9 doesn 't matter, as you know your PC would be more than capable running apps with a lower rating. It was meant to give people a simple way of knowing whether their PC was capable of running the software they wanted to buy without having to go into system requirements (CPU, RAM, etc). I've yet to see anyone use it, however.

9. Samsonite

The only thing I have seen it used for is the Vista Games Explorer (Start > All Programs > Games).

GRID says (perhaps a bit optimistic?):
    Recommended: 1.0
    Required: 1.0

Fifa 09:
    Recommended: 4.0
    Required: 3.0