Virgin to launch 50mb service

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by nicky munchkin, Dec 15, 2008.

Share This Page

1. nicky munchkin

nicky munchkin Nick is not responding...

2. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

That's how bad it will be.

Honestly tho what are you doing that requires you to have a 50Mb/s download speed. That would be good if you shared a house or a flat but for the average home user it's overkill. I would like to see what the upload speeds are like tho.

3. digit

digit 01011000111100

The 20 MB service I had at uni was dire, so I really don't see how the 50 MB service will actually deliver. They ought to sort out the infrastructure supporting current offerings before launching another 'speed increase'.

4. Fat Jez

Fat Jez Master of the High Five!

High definition video on demand services.

5. jacobzcoool

jacobzcoool Chav Hunter

Of course, if you actually use the 50mbit service (or any other virgin media) then you will be having your browsing details sold to a spyware company. Call me a privacy lover, but I will stick with ISPs which don't break the law with illegal interception of data.

6. Tom

Tom Merrrrrr

Whoop-ti-doo. We all know it's just a marketing move. So long as their supporting network is pathetic, they'll never use the FTTC network efficiently. Move-along, nothing to see here. :)

Though my only hope is that this will encourage OfCom to authorise the use of VDSL2 within the LLU markets. The reach isn't all that bad and the performance tails off in a similar way to ADSL2+ after the first 1.5-1.8Km. It's also backwards-compatible, so your VDSL2 modem/DSLAM pair could theoretically knock the connection back to ADSL2+. The upshot is 100Mbit/sec down and 6.5Mbit/sec up at ~0.5Km from the exchange. :)

With that in-mind, I don't think it would take long for Be/O2 to start upgrading their network. They'll have to do something to compete with both Virgin and BT's imminent 21CN WBC roll-outs.

7. LSG501

LSG501 You can call me Levi

Home business use - I regularly send/receive files in excess of 100 megs to/from clients which isn't so bad on the download but try the uploads :)

I'd just like to be able to get something other than bt out my way more than anything though :mad:

8. saltynay

saltynay Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

Cosomo did say the average home owner your an exception to the rule plus correct me if I am wrong that would be sending a large model to a client back and forth which isn't what the average Home business user does the occasional large pdf yes but nothing in excess of 10mb usually.

Its just a publicity stunt virgin seems to be very brand orientated its al about virgin being the main brand name

9. Sub

Sub The cake is a lie!!

lol if they take the ****ty caps off it, great. otherwise, download a big file and have your net neutered for the next 5 hours.. rinse, repeat.. it's BS.
    the network can't handle the 20mb customers at present, i mean look how long it took them to 'switch on' 10mb around the country.. load of balls if you ask me.
    and they switch it on and everything will crash and burn, i can almost garantee it

10. latency

latency Existentialist

It's all about their smear campaign to put people off ADSL. They have to keep a faster-than-ADSL service on show to maintain credibility.

They might have a better infrastructure, but there are many more ADSL providers to balance the load for us mortals on copper wires...

11. jacobzcoool

jacobzcoool Chav Hunter

They just have to keep the technically illiterate people thinking they are better just because they get more bandwidth (most lusers don't know about the pathetic bandwidth limits, they just think 'my connection has gone slow again')

Actual competition (as well as there being maybe 2 or 3 ISPs which actually give a **** about their customers) make ADSL infinitely better as long as you aren't on some crappy exchange that hasn't been upgraded for about the last 500 years like at home for me :mad: (of course, there is no cable there so ADSL is still better lol)

12. LSG501

LSG501 You can call me Levi

ok as a home user - streaming video, better bandwidth higher quality etc, remote networking into family computers (to fix etc), home server for family access (synology does it all), in the modern home theres a lot more things that people are getting wise to, especially in the media space - look at bt pushing vision for example.

You would also be surprised by the amount of home workers these days, admittedly not all doing cad but theres plenty of graphics people out there and they can get some pretty hefty files too (my last graphics files were around 50megs before zipping).

13. Bootup05

Bootup05 Bootup05

Read and weep with this cringyness of the past! Oh my..