Theme Night 51 - Versus Night, Saturday 18th October

Discussion in 'Kustom LAN Party' started by Graeme*Kustom*, Oct 10, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Graeme*Kustom*

Graeme*Kustom* Administrator

[​IMG]

Next theme is going to be a one on one 'versus' night - a little league of various game disciplines that's a turn up and play event rather than one you need to bring your PC along for.

The event runs from 6pm until 11pm on Saturday 18th October (can arrive from 5.00pm for getting dinner and so on, but no earlier please!), and the aim is to have 16 players, although we will add reserve slots if need be. Entry cost is £3.00

The games we'll be running are

UT 2004
    Trials Evolution
    Street Fighter IV
    DIRT 3 Special Stage
    Puyo Puyo VS

1. Graeme*Kustom*
    2. Bryanese
    3. Nanaki
    4. argh-its-ben
    5. Nooit-Sterf
    6. BryanHand
    7. Sajuuk Khar
    8. Extreme0
    9. prosg
    10. saxman
    11. Shaggy02
    12. Sethcx
    13. Ninjagordy

Reserves

2. Bryanese

Bryanese Tasted LAN and liked it.

Something something something I'm amazing at Street Fighter. Something something something excuses for losing. XD

Sure, I'll come along! : ) Again, can offer up my Steam account for Ultra Street Fighter if there's interest as well as a fighstick.

3. Graeme*Kustom*

Fight stick would be amazing. I've got a Mad Catz Fightstick here too, so getting two of those set up would be perfect.

For the sake of having as much as possible set up before the event, probably best I'll just stick with the older version which I've got (unless there's a big advantage to the new version) - keeps things easier to organise. While the game supports LAN play, we'll just hook two sticks up to one system, as the two PCs will be side by side anyway so that people can stand behind and watch.

4. Nanaki

Nanaki Nanaki

Something something something kick Bryanese ass again at UT2K4. Something something something excuses for losing. XD

5. Nooit-Sterf

Nooit-Sterf ... yay!

Sign me up!

6. BryanHand

BryanHand Regular Kustomer

Aye, why no

7. Bryanese

Yeah, I can totally appreciate wanting everything setup before the event to make life easier, but using UltraSF would only involve copying over the game files, logging into my account and hitting install which wouldn't take more than a few minutes. It's purely up to you, man. I suggested it as UltraSF has a MASSIVE roster of characters, more fight stages and a better refinement of mechanics. : )

Ah, excellent! Two fightsticks and it'll be like a proper arcade fight! :D

8. Graeme*Kustom*

I know too well now not to just assume something that should be simple in practise will 'just work'. We could set it up the night before though so that it downloads and installs normally.

Either that, looks like there's an upgrade to Ultra edition on Steam for £11.99, I could just get that?

9. Extreme0

Extreme0 The Hellbound Misanthrope

I will participate.

10. Bryanese

Heh, very, very true dat. Yeah, you could do, I won't be online on Friday, so my account will be free if you want to download it. Sorry for being a nuisance by suggesting it, I just feel like I'm causing trouble now. (>_

11. prosg

prosg Kustomer

This looks like a good excuse to come and lose horribly

Sign me up

12. Extreme0

Extreme0 The Hellbound Misanthrope

It appears my Asus Headset has once again went back to the habit of using one loudspeaker to the right. :mad:

Uh...I think I might have to get new headset while I am over there too.

13. Nanaki

Nanaki Nanaki

Holy s**t a wild Prosg appears!

14. Graeme*Kustom*

We need 6 more people! Nudge your fellow LAN regulars.

Deliberating whether to hold this downstairs in the shop or up in the good old LAN attic. Feedback welcomed.

Although to be fair the chairs and desks are comfier upstairs, but it's cold.

15. Bryanese

Did my usual and whored the event out to every local person on my Steam friend's list but everyone who's not already signed up either can't go or hasn't responded to me. : (

As for venue feedback: I'd personally prefer upstairs and think it would be better because there's more space for one; the projector screen can be more readily watched up there and it's not hard to stick on a jacket or a hoody if we're cold. : )

That said, if arranging the LANtic for an event with just ten folk seems like wasted effort, it's fine to just have it downstairs. Just my thoughts!

(wanted to apologise for sounding bossy but decided against it for fear of being scalded) : P

16. Graeme*Kustom*

Yeh looked at it last night and downstairs is too small.

Admittedly the numbers thing is a tricky one.

At versus night 2, I think we were one person short of 16, so gave the opportunity for one player who lost out to get a second chance, but if we're 6 short that gets trickier.

Derek and Gordy said they are maybes on facebook, I'll try and persuade them.

17. dekadeka

dekadeka Regular Kustomer

I want to come but its not really worth me spending 2 hours on bus there and leaving about 9.45 to get bus back.

Shame as it looks like games I like

18. Bryanese

Issued another round of challenges; hopefully some more worthy opponents pick up the gauntlet.

Aye, it is tricky. I tried to draw a league progression table for ten people and it doesn't really work unless someone is willing to play three games to progress to the final or just allowing the self-appointed weakest player of each game to progress directly to the final if they win their first game.

Twelve people would be good because everyone could play down to the final three and then those three remaining players could all play each other for first, second and third.

19. Graeme*Kustom*

Funny thing, that's where the Armagetron obsession started out. I was running a 1v1 tournament with it at an event in Glasgow and when it came to the end it was like 'oh crud, we have 3 finalists... wait, find another computer, we'll make it a 3 person battle'. Later that night we tried Armagetron with more people...

So I don't think the 'Tron stuff happened till Kustom LAN 2, it had not been discovered in time for the first one.

20. Velkro

Velkro Kustomer

fraid I'm nightshift this weekend. hope you peeps all have fun ;)