The Radeon HD 3870 isn't up to new games!!

Discussion in 'Gaming News' started by Fireblade, Dec 20, 2007.

Share This Page

1. Fireblade

Fireblade Mental Modder[ator]!!

If PC Pro's review of the Sapphire Radeon HD 3870 is anything to go by (and their reviews usually are!), it's...

:eek:

:(

Seems like ATI/AMD are still playing 'catch-up'!

And if a rumour I've heard on the grapevine is to be believed... they won't be releasing any 'new' products throughout 2008!?
    They'll likely be updating the 38xx series in the New Year - in much the same way Nvidia have done with their new G92 revision 8800GTS.
    But I'm hearing no genuinely 'new' cards will be released in 2008!?

If founded on truth... that's not good news, 'coz no competition to Nvidia's products, means there's potential for Nvidia to choose whatever prices they want for their cards :rolleyes:

2. Bootup05

Bootup05 Bootup05

3. liadbacklad

liadbacklad All donations welcome!

I'm afraid fireblade that i don't belive you, what tweaker has quoted is basically what i have found accross all hardware review sites.

Either your source are misinformed, had a dodgy card, or are nVidia fan boy's. I find it hard to believe a 3870 was struggling with COD 2, and why would they use it on an old game anyways?

25 Fps (1280x1024) on crysis at medium for a card costing £119, nuff said really.

4. LSG501

LSG501 You can call me Levi

From what I've seen the 3870 is about the same percentage down in performance as cost against the 8800gt but also has 10.1 support.

ATI are also supposed to be bringing out new dual gpu cards in the 1st quarter of 2008 (jan - mar).

5. Fireblade

Fireblade Mental Modder[ator]!!

:eek: I'm hurt :(

Nah... not really :D
    After all... it's PC Pro who reviewed the card, not me ;)

I've subscribed to PC Pro magazine for many years now, and in my experience... they're not in the habit of being "misinformed".

[Pedantic 1]

Anyways... how could they be "misinformed"... given that they physically tested the card themselves :confused:

[/Pedantic 1]

As for being Nvidia fanboys: It's not in the best interests of the magazine/site to be anybody's fanboys?

And a dodgy card? Given the number of graphics cards they've tested over the years, I'm quite sure they'd know if the card they had was faulty?

[Pedantic 2]

[/Pedantic 2]

6. liadbacklad

liadbacklad All donations welcome!

Well i just bought (read: 'was given for xmas') the following PC:

E6550
    3870 512mb GDDR4
    4g RAM
    Vista

I can confirm at 1280x1024 that crysis, so far, is a beutifully smoth and enjoyable experiance running way higher than 21fps avg. I'd say higher than 30...