Suggest to me..

Discussion in 'Technology / Gadget Forum' started by haz, Dec 19, 2007.

Share This Page

1. haz

haz Khronic Kustomer

..some mp3 players.

I want at least 30gb, 40+ would be good. I'm looking at somewhere between £100-£150, but wouldn't mind spending a bit extra if needs be.

No mention of iPod please. :)

I loved my iriver, and would like another one, I don't really like Creative that much, and will never own an ipod so don't even try to convince me. :p

I'm just finding it hard finding high capacity players that aren't creative/ipod and/or too expensive.

My trusty ihp-120 served me for years and suffered much abuse, it finally gave up after I dropped it on the pavement, which in its lifetime would be considered just a minor injury really. I wouldn't mind just getting a slightly updated version of my old one, even if it is old technology, it did everything I wanted it to and more.

Cheers

2. LSG501

LSG501 You can call me Levi

zune 30gb original version

3. haz

haz Khronic Kustomer

I was looking at Zunes earlier. I think I quite like them. Why the original though and not the newer one?

Some people seem to like them, others hate them, but I suppose it's the same with any product. Just a case of getting an unbiased opinion on the matter.

I could settle for 30gb, however 40+ would be better, just so I can fit all my music on there.

4. nicky munchkin

nicky munchkin Nick is not responding...

Okay just so I know why... Why do you hate the ipod? It sounds like a 80gb Classic video would be ideal? There better than the Zune for sure.

What features do you need? Video? Loudspeaker?

Personally I would also avoid Sony after the music + rootkit affair.

5. LSG501

you said 100-150 so the cheapest due to import cost or uk sellers. Obviously if you can afford the more expensive then get that.

6. Cod Ball

Cod Ball odd ball

well for example when I used to work at Pc World the amount of Ipods we got returned for dodgy software, broken screen, broken scroll wheel was phenomenal.
    I'm sure the next comment from someone will be "mines been fine for ages, not had a single problem"
    that could just be a lucky player, whats to say if he got one that it won't, its not worth the risk.
    Not only that but from experience of listening to different peoples ipods, the music quality isn't comparable to different players.

They're probably the reasons Haz doesn't want one :p

7. nicky munchkin

I do know various people who's iPods have been fine for years, my friend still has and uses every day is 1st gen 5gb original iPod. My shuffle is also fine. I think it's usually the hard drive based players (any hard drive based players) that have the most issues. Heres hoping my Touch should be fine. Touch wood.

8. TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy Obey Him

The punters keep coming because of the marketing. The product it self it total c*** from both a technical stand point and my personal opionion.

ipods seem to have a time out, they all break after a year or so. Someone on here made a good point about how you never see any last generation ipods, cant imagine why!

9. haz

haz Khronic Kustomer

I will admit, the new black iPod stuff like the touch, the newest gen iPods and the iPhone all look very nice. So, aesthetically, from my point of view, they've improved, I really did hate the old white ones, really ugly colour for electronics.

A few of my reasons for disliking iPods:

I don't think the scroll wheel is particularly amazing. They lack features, I don't like the look of them, I hate the idea of being an iPod owner. I'd rather this wasn't another Mac/PC/ipod/mp3player battle thread though, please.

Thanks for the replies so far.

As far as features go, I just want a decent quality player with 40gb or there abouts. Decent battery life. Ability to play most files (I know some players have issues with playing particular formats etc). The thing I liked most about my retro iriver was the fact it acted like a portable hdd when plugged in, I hate having third party programmes try and sort out what to do for me. I like to just be able to drag and drop and store files that aren't music when I need to.

10. ArTizan

ArTizan Member of the Month

Cowon mp3 players are pretty good, I've got one and I know two people that have, the eq's on them are very good and they have some nice effects, bass boost and suchlike. The iAudio name is a bit lame, but they are generally sound player in my experience.

http://www.cowonglobal.com/

11. nicky munchkin

I can understand your dislike for iPods (except the "I hate the idea of being an iPod owner" bit :confused:).

However if you look at various reviews and such the iPod almost always seems to beat the Zune. It is quite nice (except from being chunky), although I can't really ever seeing it catch on.

Anyways what I mean is, if your thinking the iPod is bad, then don't go for the Zune.

Do they still have that WiFi built in, but you can't search the net, or go to a network drive, all you can do is swap music, and then you can only have it for 3 plays/days then you have to buy it?

12. haz

haz Khronic Kustomer

I may not get a Zune but I'd still much rather have one over the iPod. I don't care about the wifi anyway. I prefer the look and screen and don't mind having a bulky player at all.

I see your point of 'it won't catch on' as entirely irrelevant. Whether anything 'catches on' or not doesn't necessarily determine it's quality nor mean it is unrivaled.

13. TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy Obey Him

Who cares about browsing the web on your ipod? If the safari on it is anything like the one for PC/mac then the only page you can view properly will be apple.com! Safari is a joke of a browser.

14. LSG501

take a look into cowon as they are good players however sometimes a little bulky

15. haz

haz Khronic Kustomer

The 2nd gen 80gb Zune is looking most appealing to me at the moment. I love the look of it and the screen, and my friend tells me it doesn't require software to transfer music/other files just like my iriver, and it's not too expensive either.

Has anyone got any reasons specifically not to buy one of these?

16. LSG501

um iirc the zune needs its own software

17. Cod Ball

Cod Ball odd ball

Um you sure about that?! Seems pretty damn good to me, I'm using it on my iPhone right now, v.impressed...that said haz you're always near the web arn't you? lol from what I assume, so you wouldn't really need web. Checked the zune out *snigger* (in joke) and I vote for that one. You getting it for x mas or just buying it?

18. Fireblade

Fireblade Mental Modder[ator]!!

Please don't sign up to new forums, for no other reason than to pimp your own website GadgetBoy :rolleyes:

It's rude to pimp on any forum!
    But it's particularly rude to do so, on forums owned, run, and paid for by an online store :mad:

From our forum rules...

Post reported!

19. LSG501

So how do those fancy flash sites look on mobile safari :p
    they look fine on my windows pda when using opera mobile (which will bring the zooming of safari in v9 too) :cool:

20. TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy Obey Him

I did say if it was anything like the PC/Mac version. From my brief experiance its certainly no better, and the keybord! *Shivers*.

Considering you have just spent so much money on a technically inferior product im not surprised your defending it :)

Note I said technically as in spec wise, not opinion.