Stupid Alarm!

Discussion in 'Rant forum' started by Samsonite, Oct 4, 2012.

Share This Page

1. Samsonite

Samsonite Mine's a frosty one

Sometimes I get baffled (well ok, quite often...).

This morning at 7am (I was working from home so was gonna sleep until 8:30!) the burglar alarm went off (first time in this new house). I went down and turned it off and it gave me a message saying that a sensor in the outbuilding had failed to communicate.

Now, considering that I have not armed the alarm so far - what a crappy system where you have it unarmed, but if a sensor fails, the alarm goes off! I cannot fathom how this could have been designed in this way!

The only reason why this house has a boss alarm is because the previous owner ran a business from here and had to have a high-quality alarm system for insurance purposes.

It's a ridiculous system, but I am at a loss as to why it would go off on a fault when you have not armed it. Bearing in mind that when I had broadband installed, it emitted a quieter beep to tell me the phone line communications were interrupted.

Seriously - how could they design a system to go off when you are trying not to use it!!!!

2. burgi

burgi That'll be me

Makes perfect sense to me. I assume most alarms are unarmed when somebody is there which seems the perfect time to deal with a fault as opposed to when nobody is there. Also, do you want to find out there's a fault when you arm the system just before going to bed? I guess the designers of alarm systems plan for the alarms to be used.

3. Samsonite

My issue is that with some faults (e.g. phone line) it beeps loud enough for any residents to know without waking up the neighbours. I think it is absolutely wrong and inexcusable that the full loud alarm can go of 24/7 just because one sensor is not responding - this should be a beep too. It could go off fully at any moment annoying neighbours and making you wonder if the alarm works at all...

4. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

it's your alarm
    decommission it if it's too much for you.

5. Samsonite

You are right Chenks - I probably will decomission it, but I am surprised that an expensive alarm would go off when unarmed - kind of defeats the point of being unarmed! You know - you have an alarm and the code, you unarm it and yet it can still go off?! Anyone with a brain cell must realise that is stupid? Do you want you alarm to go off at any time even when it is off?

6. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

The alarm at work will go off if one of the sensors gets covered even when turned off.

Whenever we had a powercut our alarm would beep at us until we typed in the code.

7. Samsonite

Yeah, well I was supposed to call the alarm company to ask if we could deactivate the out-building, but I was working with a client until 6pm (she will still complain)... The issue was an RF issue with the sensor outside and I would assume that sensors in the house are not affected in the same way.

8. RookSha

RookSha New Member

You might have turned off the alarm but someone could easily assume it's on in the outhouse and cut it's power or summat? Dunno but it seems kinda helpful to me.

9. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

If you cut the power you have 30 seconds to enter the code before the alarm goes off because they have built in batteries. If you try to get to the battery without deactivating the alarm it will also go off.