Steve Jobs Steps Down

Discussion in 'Topical Discussion' started by Digital Doctor, Aug 25, 2011.

Share This Page

1. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Loving AMD's new AM1 CPU

I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple's CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come.

I hereby resign as CEO of Apple. I would like to serve..., if the Board sees fit, as Chairman of the Board, director and Apple employee.

As far as my successor goes, I strongly recommend that we execute our succession plan and name Tim Cook as CEO of Apple.

I believe Apple's brightest and most innovative days are ahead of it. And I look forward to watching and contributing to its success in a new role.

I have made some of the best friends of my life at Apple, and I thank you all for the many years of being able to work alongside you.

Steve

2. latency

latency Existentialist

End of an era. Don't think we'll see radical change at Apple right away, especially as Jobs will be chairman, but Steve had a certain attention to detail that I can only hope Tim Cook will pick up as well.

3. NickB

NickB Old School

I think Steve will still be involved in strategy, and the legacy he's left at the company seems more secure. Apple have a different approach and it's making them all boatloads of money, so I wouldn't think even the most diehard by-the-numbers leadership would move away from it. Tim Cook has been in line with the succession plan for a while I think (during Jobs' illnesses), so is probably going to hit the ground running.

Now, where's my Retina display iPad?

Nick

4. latency

latency Existentialist

It's in Samsung's LCD factory. Wait... never mind ;)

Man Apple shot themselves in the foot with that lawsuit... put themselves at odds with the only company in the world who can currently make a retina display for the iPad 3 ;)

5. -GPO-Solitaire

-GPO-Solitaire Solitaire

Also don't Samsung also fabricates the ARM chips and make the flash memory for Apple in the iPhones (they defiantly did the 3Gs, think they also do it in the iPhone4).

Though other plants can fabricate the chips Samsung's plants are cheaper, faster and larger than most other Competitors.

6. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

you might say that with apple most likely being samsungs biggest customer, that samsung need apple more than apple need samsung.

7. -GPO-Solitaire

-GPO-Solitaire Solitaire

more like the other way around.

Samsung have other products and clients where as Apple relay on Samsung at the moment for critical components.

As I said other can make them but not to the quality or speed required by Apple to get it's products out on time.

But who knows! ^_^

8. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

from Feb this year....

A report from the Wall Street Journal suggests Apple is about to become Samsung's biggest customer in a deal estimated to be worth US$7.8 billion. As part of its purchase, Apple will be securing LCD displays, NAND flash memory and mobile chipsets from the Korean manufacturer. Each of these components will be used to build Apple's popular iPad and iPhone.

but as you say, who knows.

9. latency

latency Existentialist

Yea... Apple have been trying to get the iPad 3 display made with some other folks, but they've been getting poor yields from the fabrication runs, where as Samsung have a method that's working.

They might as well start using Samsung's display for the time being, until the small companies get it right, since as you guys say, they already buy enough components from Samsung.

10. Sajuuk Kahr

Sajuuk Kahr Kustom Addict

Tech aside it's a real shame that he has to step down due to such a debilitating illness.

11. latency

latency Existentialist

Word is that he didn't step down due to illness... but even if that's the case, he's probably stepped down before it becomes a case of illness...

12. -GPO-Solitaire

-GPO-Solitaire Solitaire

Guess you've not seen the latest pics of him taken this week!!
    He looks terrible.

13. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

where was that posted? i've not seen any on the main apple tech sites.

14. -GPO-Solitaire

-GPO-Solitaire Solitaire

15. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

TMZ again... just like that last time they posted supposed photos.
    I've looked at them and I smell fake, unless Jobs has started wearing skirts!

16. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Loving AMD's new AM1 CPU

He is really ill wont be here for much longer.

17. latency

latency Existentialist

I'm pretty certain those photos are from when he has his liver transplant done.

He really was looking ill back then, but he looked ten times better when he came back to do an Apple Keynote, albeit thinner than when we'd last seen him.

He's got the best medicare money can buy, he's going to give his cancer a run for it's money.

Good luck to him I say, and hats off to him for having the grace to bow out before his health really gets in the way of Apple.

18. Sajuuk Kahr

Someone with more experiance will be able to tell but is it just me or is there something not quite right about the neck, some photoshopping perhaps.

19. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

yes, there is a break on the neck area which makes it look like the head has been shopped onto another body.

20. Sajuuk Kahr

Thanks for that.