SSD speed test

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by plucker, Aug 25, 2014.

Share This Page

1. plucker

plucker New Member

Hi guys

Just a random question.. I bought a RAID card, just to run extra drives in JBOD, as my motherboard only has 4x sata ports onboard, and i have 5 drives..
    4x Hard Drives and 1x Optical Drive..

I have
    1x Kingston 60Gb SSD
    1x 160gb HDD
    2x 500gb HDD
    1x LG DVD-RW Drive

i have the SSD as my OS boot drive, and connected into the RAID card, for best possible bandwidth, as my motherboard is pretty old, and figure the RAID card should be the fastest..

Under Crystal Disk Mark.. My SSD scored

SSD = 144.3 Read - 71.84 Write (RAID card, in PCI x1 slot. but also the same if i install in PCI-E x16 slot)

what do you think to the speeds?? Any indication as to what SATA its running? sata2 bandwidth?
    Also, are those speeds average? good? or poor for that drive under that connection?

cheers

2. Koolpc

Koolpc Not From Earth

Is your PC fast enough for what you use it for? If yes then dont worry about these type of tests unless you love the numbers!

3. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

What motherboard, RAID card, and SSD (i.e. specific model) do you have?

4. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Is it true RAID or fakeRAID? Plugging a PCI-E x1 card into a x4 or x16 slot won't make it run faster.

5. plucker

plucker New Member

yeah the pc is plenty fast enough for what i use it for.. Just general browsing and a couple of movies a week :D
    the only time this pc breaks a sweat is when im booting it up :lol:

My PC specs are in the description... not sure on the model of the SSD though..
    its a long number...

and the raid card.. its a errmm. Silicone image SoftRAID card.. whatever that means?? :lol:

cheers

6. Ninjagordy

Ninjagordy Winner of The Game (UJFL)

I would'nt be expecting miracles from what your running dude! Soft raid is a give away really!! if its fast enough and your happy with it then great!

your cpu was released Q1/2009 and your board probably before that slightly.

so, as said...if its fast enough for you thats all that matters really! ;)

7. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

Means that in the grand scheme of things it's rubbish, but as others have said if it does the job then it's doing the job so don't worry about whether it's doing the job or not! Or something like that. :p

If you fancy having a fiddle then if your motherboard has SATA 2 ports it may be worth putting the SSD on the motherboard port and see if it performs better. An onboard SATA 2 port should be faster than a SATA 2 port on a run-of-the-mill PCIe SATA card. I doubt the difference will be earth shattering but it might be worth a few minutes of fiddling.

If the motherboard only has SATA 1 ports then leave it how it is.

PS - I wouldn't put too much stock in the numbers from CrystalDiskMark. I just ran it on my PC and the numbers it gave me are effectively impossible.