SSD in an iMac G3: Ridiculous?

Discussion in 'Silent PC's' started by KingOfTheOzone, Sep 5, 2011.

Share This Page

1. KingOfTheOzone

KingOfTheOzone In the most delicious way

I have this bad boy in my living room. It turned 10 this year:

[​IMG]

It makes a great little jukebox since the built-in speakers are pretty good. It's passively cooled, so the only noise is from the hard drive (and optical drive when it's in use).

The old hard drive is pretty noisy, so I'm thinking of replacing it. This thing can only see hard drives smaller than 128GB, which are getting hard to find and in many cases cost more than 500GB drives. Assuming I can find an SSD with an IDE connection (apparently they do exist), I'm thinking about turning this into a completely silent machine.

Any thoughts? Other than how daft it is to put an SSD in a 10 year old PC, of course.

2. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

You might want to get a SATA SSD and a SATA to IDE connector. You could also get a 80GB IDE hard drive since modern hard drives are a lot quieter.

3. latency

latency Existentialist

Yea or fit it with a 5400rpm laptop drive, 3.5" IDE to 2.5" IDE is easy...

4. KingOfTheOzone

I've actually got two iMac G3s and I have noticed the new 3.5" IDE hard drive I put in the other one is a lot quieter.

I do have a few 2.5" SATA drives kicking around, one 80GB and one 128GB. It does make sense not to waste these old drives.

You know something's gone (wrong / awesome) with your life when you have a drawer containing 200GB of hard drive space and 8GB of RAM you don't need.

5. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Loving AMD's new AM1 CPU

What os you running, panther? that worked best with my g3 tower, a faster hdd makes these g3's shine, im sure you can get ide ssd drives. After i played on the g3 i fell in love with macs theyre bloody fantastic.

There was a set of switches in the tower version that overclocked the cpu, wonder if yours will do the same?

Edit: Just had a look theres some 32GB ide ssds on ebay for 50 quid new

6. KingOfTheOzone

I haven't heard of anything like that in the iMac.

I've been using Macs since The Mac mini first came out, but I had to get an iMac G3: they're classics.

I'm using OS X Tiger on both of them.

7. DamnDamnDennis

DamnDamnDennis Registered User

Hi, can you let me know if you were able to install an SSD in your G3 iMac?

I want to do the same with my iMac which has come out of storage. It's a super machine now I've thrown a few cheap upgrades at it but the noise from the hard drive is driving me crazy! I'd like to see it the iMac can run in silence.

Hope you can assist,

DDD

8. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Loving AMD's new AM1 CPU

the idea of an ssd in a g3 is not ridiculous however, using a g3 today is especially if you want internet connectivity youre gonna be in for a rough time trying to get anything to work.