soundproofing sub?

Discussion in 'Silent PC's' started by XscudX, Oct 19, 2011.

Share This Page

1. XscudX

XscudX Ping, not bling

hey guys heres my problem i listen to alot of bass heavy music n my room is above the living room, my speakers r logictech z5500 and im looking for a way to stop my sub from sending bass into my living room anyone got any ideas that could help me?

2. latency

latency Existentialist

Sit it on some foam packaging, make sure it's not contacting the walls or the floor?

3. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

While you can reduce the amount of bass that goes downstairs, anything that stops the bass transferring into the floor will reduce the sound output significantly and defy the point of listening to it with a high bass level.

Either turn the bass down to an acceptable level while other people are in the house (my old Logitech Z-3s used to be adjustable from an extremely feeble bass output up to window-rattling), or get some half decent cans. They're not particularly cheap and I don't even know if they're still produced but my Sennheiser HD-595s are pretty good at bass.

4. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Loving AMD's new AM1 CPU

Soundproof your room with audio foam

5. Nanaki

Nanaki Nanaki

If the problem is sound traveling downstairs then soundproofing the walls wont really help.

As for sffecting sub sound quality your sub isnt floor firing so there would be minimal change to the sound quality.

Firtly the sound from the sub isnt impact noise so a new floor would be overkill (although still the best bet)

I know you can get soundproof mats for putting between the floor and the carpet. Only problem is if you dont put the mat accross the whole floor then your carpet is uneven so it can get quite expensive. If still getting through add another layer. I've seen 3 layers being failry common. (Warning though. Once stuck down those mats do not like coming back up!)

Basic things though like making sure there are no loose boards or gaps in the floor always help to reduce the ability for sound to get through it though.

As you've probably worked out none of the options are quick, simple or cheep.

6. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Early mornings aren't kind to you (or your spelling) Nanaki :p

I can turn my sub on / off so I normally don't run it when my parents are in bed or watching a film downstairs. I can hear my server in the living room cos it vibrates but this is reduced if I have packing foam under it.

7. Nanaki

Nanaki Nanaki

Damn. I just read that post again. I would normally edit it but I wouldn't be able to convince people how bad it was unless I leave it as evidence!

8. LSG501

LSG501 You can call me Levi

Bit late to the replies but look into speaker spikes/cones. Basically it's a set of 4 cones/spikes that sits under the speaker and reduced the foot print of the unit on the floor. It should reduce the direct transference of the bass etc due to the cones also adjusting the frequency/oscillation (memory is rusty) of the sound wave as it goes down to the narrow point.

You can also use these in conjunction with rubber 'feet' to help further.

9. FlyingHaggis

FlyingHaggis Regular Kustomer

10. FlyingHaggis

FlyingHaggis Regular Kustomer

Just saw the date on this post! Oh well, hope it's still of use to someone out there.

11. Koolpc

Koolpc Not From Earth

Use headphones and stop upsetting the household you noisey git! lol

12. XscudX

XscudX Ping, not bling

cheers flying haggis they should do just the trick