Sony hdd recorder

Discussion in 'Technology / Gadget Forum' started by tjmartin1978, Sep 27, 2006.

Share This Page

1. tjmartin1978

tjmartin1978 Vrooom......

Hi

I am looking at buying a Sony RDR HXD860.

Does anyone have one of these to reccommend or not reccommend...

I have always liked the sony stuff and hope that this will be a good buy. It has a 160gig hard disk, digital freeview tuner and its seems to be a good spec...

Thanks for any suggestions

Regards

Tim

2. Fireblade

Fireblade Mental Modder[ator]!!

If you don't get replies on here... it would be worth browsing the AV Forums to see what its members have to say about it?
    They're pretty much clued-up on all things AV, and chances are it'll have been discussed on there ;)

An alternative to consider in the same sorta price bracket, is the 160GB Panasonic DIGA DMR-EX75EB-S "Super Multi Format Hard Disk HDD Recorder with [DVB-T] Freeview Tuner" (£345 or less)...

[​IMG]

Features include:

160GB HDD Recorder, built-in Dual Layer DVD Recorder, SD Card Reader... and it supports HDMI upscaling to 720p / 1080i.

Or there's its bigger brother, the 250GB Panasonic DIGA DMR-EX85EB-S - which has a 250GB HDD, and came out top in this recent AV review group test of Freeview HDD/DVD recorders (which included the Sony RDR-HXD560)!

Dixons are selling it for 'just' £390 :cool:

3. tjmartin1978

Thanks

That looks like a great device... Might take a trip to a shop and look at it...

What would be the best quality connection to my Sony 32 inch widescreen CRT. using scart from the player to an RGB scart on the TV (I have one). Or S-video on the player to the RGB socket on the TV ?

Thanks and regards

Tim

4. redswipe

redswipe Super Kustomer

I've just had a look in What HiFi and while it doesnt have the HXD860 it heaps praise on the HXD710 & HXD910.

The best way to hook it up is via Scart. The player does have an HDMI output so that might be an incentive to get a shiny new flatscreen :D

5. tjmartin1978

so ill get a scart to scart lead and put it into the RGB scart on the telly then... is that what you reccommend ?

I have to admit I cant fault the picture quality on my trusty 32 inch sony CRT but as you say those 40 inch HD panels look mighty tempting !!!

6. Fireblade

Fireblade Mental Modder[ator]!!

Yeah... a scart lead is all you need if you're still using an older telly/LCD.

You'd only use HDMI for connecting it to a new HD ready TV... which itself would need an HDMI connection I believe?
    I haven't bought a HD ready TV, or DVD recorder meself yet... so I'm not fully up to speed on the best connections etc... but I believe HDMI is right up there for picture quality... if your telly can support it :cool: