Sky / MCE Integration with FloppyDTV S2

Discussion in 'Articles / Guides' started by Graeme*Kustom*, Jan 29, 2008.

Share This Page

1. wonkyd

wonkyd Registered User

Hi,

I wrote the guide for using MediaPortal with Sky and have an update on using it in a HTPC.

After Sky changed the cards to the newer White ones you cannot use a Dragon/TRex CAM to open the cards. :(

However all is not lost! :eek:

If you happen to have a Diablo cam (at least version 2.3 or upgraded to 2.3) you can flash it with the "Horizon" firmware and from then on you can use your sky card in it to open all channels you subscribe to EXCEPT Sports, Movies and Premium channels. :)

I'm sure Graeme sells the Diablo 2.3 CAMS here at KustomPCs or a lot of people are selling them off on eBay. Fools! :rolleyes:

You will also still need to put the card back in the sky box every 5-6 weeks to renew it. :cool:

Merry Christmas,

Matthew

2. Vicey

Vicey Regular Kustomer

We seriously need some competitor laws in the UK to make Sky and Virgin Media sell some kind of CAM Card for official use with their services. Like they have in the united states.

3. tony_park

tony_park Registered User

Hi,

There is an alternative method involving the use of a Dreambox linux STB, and some software called DVBLink TVSource - you place your viewing card in the DB, connect this to a network, then install the TVSource software, setup the plugins, ensure you have compatible TV Tuner cards - and from the one viewing card, you can have numerous Tuners, so think Sky++ - this also allows for all premium and HD channels to be used too.

Tony

Further information: here and http://www.avforums.com/forums/windows/1115217-dvblink-installation-doc.html

4. Graeme*Kustom*

Graeme*Kustom* Administrator

Cool, some really useful points here - thanks, guys. I plan to revisit the Sky setup guide shortly, but will need to try out some different tuner cards since the digital everywhere models are no longer available.

It's one of the first things I'll be doing in January :)

5. Graeme*Kustom*

You mean the forum marked my post as spam?

Tsk. You think it would have learned who I was by now.

6. Vicey

Vicey Regular Kustomer

I've seen people talking about those dreamboxes on other forums but its really complicated. I'd love a real easy step by step guide and a secure place from which to purchase all the necessary hardware (hint hint :p).

7. -GPO-Solitaire

-GPO-Solitaire Solitaire

Ohh just came across a nice tip....

If you have a sky+ box and thinking of cancelling SKY (to go with freeview/Freesat) unplug the box before you make the call to sky to cancel the subscription...

leave it unplugged for 6 months (It might need less time but I left my box off for 6 months and forgot about it!)

After the timer has elapsed you've now got a basic freesat sky+ with working Recording for no extra cost... (SKY+ recording costs £10 month with "freesat from sky")

It's not perfect since Ch5 and a few of associated channels are still scrambled but it's a nice tip if you don't urgently need a PVR lol

(SKY only send the signal to cut off the recording function for a couple of months after you cancel)

...And if it does stop working as a PVR i'm jsut gonna dump the box and use the internal drive as a spare! lol I've a normal SKY box sitting doing nothing so i'll get "freesat from sky" for that (It's only for a bedroom box so won't be used much)

8. HMinteractive

HMinteractive HMInteractive

Hi Wonkyd,

I am new to this forum however have been reading from time to time.

I did previously have a Dragon CAM working with my legit subscription channels on Floppy DTV S2, until the new white sky viewing cards came along.

You mentioned that Diablo CAM and Horizon firmware should work, does that only apply if you are using MediaPortal? I am using Media Center in Windows 7.

I have nearly given up otherwise on this expensive HTPC Project and my wife is nagging me to re-connect the crappy Sky+ receiver.

Would appreciate some help here.

Many thanks.

Antec Fusion Case 450W PSU, MSI Media Live 5.1, 4GB Corsair RAM, 250Gb SATA HDD, 1.5TB SATA HDD, 400GB SATA HDD, AMDx2 2.7GHZ CPU, LG Blu RAY/HD DVD, Windows 7 Pro, FLoppy DTV S2 and Gyration Media Remote

9. Graeme*Kustom*

I hope to try this myself in the future... somehow, although I don't have the Digital Everywhere tuner card any longer.

Have been making enquiries for the Avermedia sat tuner and CI module so hopefully if we can get those soon I'll be able to try out this technique for getting the white cards working.

10. shaggy91

shaggy91 Registered User

Hi,

New poster - not new to htpcs......

For some time I was watching sky through media center using a digital everywhere card and dragon cam - then the white card came along and trashed my party.

So to get round this I have purchased a Dreambox 500-s. (can be searched for)

The dreambox has been flashed with new firmware...:-

http://www.dreamboxtool.com/PLi-Images/PLi-Jade3-for-DM500+--plus-.html

and plugged into the network via RJ45.

Now some software from dvblogic (which you have to pay for after the trial has run out):-

http://www.dvblogic.com/download/DVBLinkTVSource.zip

next a copy of the decyption software which i cannot supply a link to but look for Hadu.

A valid sky card is needed.

Now i'm working from memory here but you need to set up your dreambox so its tuned in. Next get the box to download and install cccam and newcs.
    At this point going from memory is difficult. I know it took me 2 weeks as the dreambox is linux based, i needed the right software and cable to flash the dreambox to the correct firmware. Then give the Dreambox a static ip address, had to read alot of forums to work out how to setup the config file on the dreambox and the config file with hadu (though there is a tool to help you floating on the web - http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/...152662-sly-uk-newcs-cccam-config-creator.html

What you are essentially doing here is illegal in that you are technically cardsharing. the fact that you are not sharing your card with anyone outside of the router is immaterial. With this setup you *could* have 2,3 or 4 sat cards in your pc and have them set up to decrypt from your one sky card in the dreambox. That means one subscription and multiple recordings or, with and xbox360, multiroom. And sky will not like losing revenue in this way so i suppose its better that I have led you some way on the journey but the rest you'll have to figure out.

It is possible but you still have to -recharge- your sky card every 2 months in the original box. Fortunatley the dreambox software can read the card and tell you when your entitlement will run out - just remember to recharge it before it runs out or else you'll be phoning sky to explain your card has stopped working and not trying to tell them its because your using a dreambox.

Good luck

Shaggy

11. Graeme*Kustom*

Hi Shaggy

Thanks for this useful info - it's still an area I want to revisit myself soon, will certainly take your points on board and hopefully we can do a detailed guide to bring this up to date again.

12. win7-demon

win7-demon Registered User

Just to confirm that the Diablo Cam Version 2.3 using Underworld 198 firmware, is working for the new Sky WHITE cards. :D

Was previously using Dragon -T-Rex Pred 3.69, all died on me, recieved Diablo Cam and all is well.

13. master baits

master baits real name Juan Kerr

Just a heads up people there seems to be a problem with over volted readers burning cards out.

IMS - the card should be 2.2 v and the cam is 3.6 or something , or maybe its the dreambox reader i read about...cant mind but i would suggest anyone messing with networking the dreambox as a card sharer get a bit clued up.....obviously I am not 100 percent certain as I dont do much with cards anymore.

14. shaggy91

shaggy91 Registered User

Hi,
    yes you do have to be careful not to burn out your sky card in the dreambox - thats why a recommend a pli jade image (firmware), cccam 2.1.2 and newcs 1.66 on the dreambox - the cccam and newcs can be downloaded from the menu built in to the dreambox.

Then find a cccam config setup script that some kind chappie has written that will set the clockspeed just right to the sky cards needs.

Everytime I think about making any adjustments to the setup i shudder at the thought as i need to relearn all the commands again - f lines, n lines etc.

I have been toying with updating to cccam 2.1.4 but would need to rewrite the config file again and manually as i don't think there is a script out there for the 2.1.4 cccam config creation. Will need to hang around the cardsharing forums again and ask some questions.

On a side note i have noticed predator 3.80 is out and about - has anyone tried this with a white sly card? It apparently has an entry in the file for the card.....

Cheers

Shaggy