Sky / MCE Integration with FloppyDTV S2

Discussion in 'Articles / Guides' started by Graeme*Kustom*, Jan 29, 2008.

Share This Page

1. nutcase

nutcase New Member

Interesting, thanks :) Just enquired as to getting a 2nd cable run at the same time. £15 basic install including the box as I'm getting now. Or an additional £25 just to run a 2nd cable. Ouch! Yet if I later on ordered a sky+ box it would be £30 install, so slightly cheaper to get it done now :confused:

What fun it all is. I've not had TV of any form for the last 2 years since leaving my parents house (and didn't watch there either). Damn my idle curiosity and tinkering nature :D

2. nutcase

nutcase New Member

Sky install day :) Found that the cam module I bought doesn't connect with the technisat :( Grr!

edit: all installed. Bribed him £20 to put a second cable in lol :) And have it with a wall box and then you attatch a cable rather than the usual drill a hole and have a flying lead. Much neater :)

Playtime...

3. rushal

rushal Registered User

I wonder if the card swap sky have planned for april will affect running sky via HTPC?

Just as im about to get into this and bam:

From today (21st Jan) sky staff will start receiving new viewing cards, an on screen prompt will inform them that their new viewing card is needed and the changeover process should be automatic and within 20 seconds once the new card is inserted. There is a website that has extensive instructions on what to do.

If the staff rollout goes well then I would expect the public release to follow soon.

:eek:

Be interesting to follow this over the next couple of months to see if the new cards will still work.

Oh by the way, as i've only just joined i'd like to say hi to everyone!

4. Graeme*Kustom*

Graeme*Kustom* Administrator

hmm. Not sure what the difference is yet, but if it's still based on the same encryption types then Predator should still get round it ok. Will see what happens !

rushal - welcome, we have a dedicated area for introductions if you want to say 'Hi' to our regulars :)

5. nutcase

nutcase New Member

Recieved the correct CAM today, away we go. Before today I could only recieve unencrypted channels (including BBC HD) but now I can get all the channels I can get using my standard sky box, and in addition BBC HD still and also Channel 4 HD :cool:

Got to try and figure out how to get it working in MCE now...

6. cluelessguy

cluelessguy Registered User

Hi Guys.

Are Sky still doing that thing where they check every few weeks if you've got your viewing card in their Set-top box?

I'd like to watch Sky HD via Mediaportal or VMC without the need for Sky's own STB...

Funny thing is I called them today and they said that I shouldn't have a problem if I'm going to be using my own hardware and that I'm only purchasing a viewing card. The guy on the phone even said he spoke to colleagues to confirm -- I wonder if I can trust their word.

Thanks,
    CG.

7. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

yes the card does need to be put into the sky box to receive the "stay alive" signal. the card will die if it doesn't receieve the signal. this can only be done when in a sky STB.

the person you spoke to at sky obviously didn't know what he/she was talking about, and it is against the Ts&Cs to use a sky viewing card in 3rd party equipment.

it will work providing the card is kept alive by putting it into a sky STB on a regular basis.

8. -GPO-Solitaire

-GPO-Solitaire Solitaire

Sounds like the the person on the other end of the line might have thought you had bought official "Sky" equipment from either 'eBay' or a Store like 'Tesco' rather than getting a box direct from Sky (they still own the box till the end of the 1st contract.)

Like Chenks said Sky cards are only authorized to be used in SKY equipment.

9. nutcase

nutcase New Member

Given up trying to get the Skystar HD2 working in MCE, am giving Media Portal a go and all's good so far :)

10. jon75

jon75 Registered User

Hi

Can I just get this right.

If I buy a

Digital Everywhere FloppyDTV S2 Tuner £152
    Dragon / T.REX CAM Module at £82
    DuoLabs CAS Programmer 2 Plus £59
    total £293

I will be able to watch sky (not pay per view) with a normal sky subscription.

If I have the right software ( I'm thinking sagetv http://www.sage.tv/sagetv.html ) - which supports DVB-S2 can I watch sky hd on my computer?? or can I only watch ordinary sky ??

Also do I really need to buy the cas programmer or can you set the dragon cam module up for your customers???

Also I understand two tuners is impossible as it would require two Digital Everywhere FloppyDTV S2 Tuner two Dragon / T.REX CAM Module ( which is possible ) but also two sky cards which is not possible without 2 subscriptions. right??

Finally it has to be a Digital Everywhere FloppyDTV S2 Tuner and not a hauppauge s2 tuner or a terratec s2 tuner - or is Digital Everywhere FloppyDTV the only one that you can actively help with.??
    ( I ask as I have no firewire on my mobo and probably won't upgrade now but might upgrade in the future)

There are a lot of questions here I know but I want to know whats happening before the money goes down.

Thanks

J

11. -GPO-Solitaire

-GPO-Solitaire Solitaire

My Dad's SKY Digital Box died and gave up the ghost on Sunday night (been moaning on twitter since then. lol!!) After 3 phone calls we finally got an appointment for an Engineer to come out on the 7th!! (a whole week with no TV!!)

Anyhoo

Went into town today to see if they had any cheap FreeSat boxes to use down stairs till Sky gets out here. Was talking to the Guys and they mentioned that they just got a delivery of the Humax FoxSat HDR boxes in.

So after a quick discussion with my dad, (and me chipping in the £150 i've been saving) we picked up the Foxsat-HDR.

Lovin' the quality (bit better than SKY, but I've not seen SKY HD to compare that.)

Thinking of dumping SKY (depends on what deal i can get out of them). If i get a good deal I'll keep basic SKY and grab a Dragon CAM and just use the FoxSat as a SKY+

Also there is word that BBC iPlayer will be coming to FreeSat later in the year (most boxes have a Network port already) and Humax will be releasing a new firmware that supports Internet streaming in a month or 2.

12. Bozzy34

Bozzy34 New Member

I was wondering about his to. Is anyone using it with the new cards yet?

Also is anyone using it successfully with EyeTV on the Mac?

13. Graeme*Kustom*

I've not tried the new cards yet but I know people are using the FireDTV S2 models fine on EyeTV. Just bear in mind that the Predator firmware needs to be applied on a Windows system, but then after that the CAM module should perform exactly the same on the Mac.

14. HEADRAT

HEADRAT New Member

Q. I want to use a Digital Everywhere FloppyDTV in a Zotac ION Atom N330 board, problem is there is no Firewire so is there anyway to get this working, some kind of Firewire to USB2.0 converter/HUB?

15. mesajoe

mesajoe Registered User

My PC was happily working with Predator 3.56 until the viewing card was updated to a white one, T-Rex and Predator no longer decodes Sky, I have double checked the serial number is correct, which it is. Has anyone else got it working with the new Sky viewing card?

:)

16. Graeme*Kustom*

Only way I can see of doing this is a mini PCI-e to PCI-E 1x adapter eg (http://www.orbitmicro.com/global/pemini2x1-f--base--p-8244.html?ref=base) and then a PCI-E 1x Firewire card http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_4465.html

Not cheap or tidy, but I can't think of any other way to make this work.

17. Graeme*Kustom*

I've not had the opportunity to try Sky again recently, but I think it would be wise to update your Predator firmware - it was at version 3.69 the last time I checked.

18. mesajoe

mesajoe Registered User

I updated my CAM to 3.69, but no joy, the CAM menu shows:

Smartcard is UNKNOWN
    not decoding

So it seems that this solution no longer works with the new 'white' Sky Cards

M
    :(

19. tony_park

tony_park Registered User

Hi mesajoe,

can confirm I'm in the same boat :mad:

Whereabouts can we download the latest firmware for Predator?

Has anyone tried using PredEdit to add the new CAID to their setup?

I hope we get use of the FloppyDTV back soon, the quality really sucks capturing from an STB via an analog capture card!

Thanks
    Tony

20. Graeme*Kustom*

3.69 still looks to be the newest version, can be found for download through a google search.

I'm not sure if there's other options out there in terms of different decryption updates to try out. I've seen Predasaurus mentioned before and it seems to be updated regularly but I've not tried it out before. Will keep a look out for any possible fixes, but I'm sure there will be some sort of workaround for it in the near future.