Sky / MCE Integration with FloppyDTV S2

Discussion in 'Articles / Guides' started by Graeme*Kustom*, Jan 29, 2008.

Share This Page

1. bigbew

bigbew Registered User

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I'm watching it with a FloppyDTV and T-rex CAM. Sorry for the confusion and thanks again for your answers to my initial post.

2. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

and that isn't Sky.

3. HEADRAT

HEADRAT New Member

When do you expect stock?

HEADRAT

4. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

stock of what ???

5. Graeme*Kustom*

Graeme*Kustom* Administrator

Likely the TV cards.

Please remember to use the contact form on the website for shop enquiries, but they should be back in just over a week.

6. HEADRAT

HEADRAT New Member

Indeed, thanks very much :)

7. jede

jede Registered User

Great to see Sky is finally working in a PC, nice one :)

I'm trying to work out if it's worth using a PC for media recording/playback, I gave up a couple of years ago with MCE as Sky+ was so much more reliable and manageable with the family. Now PCs have got more power friendly and small enough, it may be worth a revisit.

Are there tuners/software available that solves the following key issues:

1) Dual Sky recording ala Sky+. I get the impression this is only possible with two Sky cards and there isn't a dual tuner that will work from one card. I assume you then have to view what you record if you want live viewing, unless you go for multiroom?

2) Is there a solution that allows you to record FreeSat HD and Sky in one PC (Sky HD too I guess if possible)? Sounds like you can build in multiple tuners but something like MCE can't handle multiple EPGs. Was there a hack that fixes this for MCE, I thought I saw a mention of one? If not MCE, which of the other main contenders can handle this?

Thanks

Jed

8. Graeme*Kustom*

Hi there,

At the moment it's still only possible to capture a single channel per card, so if you need two recordings you'll need two subscriptions - not Multiroom though, it was highlighted earlier in this thread that Multiroom requires a phone line.

Maybe someone will invent a card capable of two recordings based on one viewing card in the future, but I suspect it's quite tricky, so it may not happen any time soon.

You could handle recordings (either for one or both tuners) through another application (Media Portal ideally) and then just playback through the Windows Media Centre interface, which looks a bit glossier.

9. jede

jede Registered User

Thanks Graeme, I thought as much. Dual Sky sounds expensive then if you need two subs, clearly not a goer. Question is whether it's better to integrate all your viewing into one central control box at the cost of the dual Sky tuners, I'm not sure at the mo! Only reason to pull Sky into MCE as I see it is to be able to archive recordings off as the Sky box gets full and also to pull videos off for portable viewing for the kids on holiday/

Hmm, I just did some MCE checks on the thegreenbutton and the old limitation of multiple EPGs seems to have gone away with the latest TV Pack 2008 and maybe a long time before that. So from what I can tell you could combine a freesat and Sky tuner setup into one box and use MCE to kick off the recording .. unless I'm missing something here?

I don't like the idea of recording via MP and playback via MCE, that just won't cut it with the family (no WAF!) This is where the solution fell down in the past, I could operate it but my other half had no clue so didn't use it.

Thanks for the quick reply,

Jed

10. jeff.rash

jeff.rash Registered User

I've recently tried Windows 7 and it finds all the hardware except the FloppyDTV S2, which kind of makes it pointless. I tried to install their Vista drivers, but it fails out saying that the OS is incorrent. Has anyone else bothered to try Windows 7 and the DVT S2?

Windows 7 looks like a nice improvement over Vista, but it only comes in a x64 edition. Hopefully they'll eventually make drivers for Windows 7, or someone will find a work around for installing the existing Vista drivers on Windows 7. Microsoft is calling it a ''minor'' release and also said that the driver set is not changing. I used soem Vista drivers on Windows 7 and they all work like they were natively built for it.

If anyone wants to do any work with me on testing "Win 7" I'm more than ready to try some tweaking.

11. saltynay

saltynay Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

No it doesn't there are 64 bit and a 32 bit versions available, all vista drivers should in principle work on 7 as they have the same base architecture.

12. jeff.rash

jeff.rash Registered User

I found out the problem.

"Windows 7" does not have drivers for the Firewire on my Motherboard. I've also discovered that Win-7 in general has issues supporting it. Once the final release of Win-7 comes out I'll try again.

It's also not a good idea to use the Win-7 beta anyway, it expires on August 1st. :)

13. deano

deano Registered User

Guys,

Are the best components still the FloppyDTV S2 and Dragon / T.REX CAM Module for building a SKY HD HTPC?

Also, is anyone distributing SKY around their residence via IP or any other method?

Another curious question, why does the SKY card need to be re-inserted into the SKY box for updating if the HTPC is emulating the SKY hardware?

Lastly, how is the audio handled?

Thanks in advance

Cheers...

14. Graeme*Kustom*

Until someone makes something better, yes, it's the best.

MediaPortal TV server will let you view live channels on another system. I'd been looking at the idea of card sharing over Wifi, but there does not seem to be a solution for this yet. SmartWi sounded great, but doesn't support the Sky encryption at the moment.

There's a signal sent over the air to keep the viewing card alive. The Dragon card with predator firmware can decrypt broadcasts but does not emulate this function, so you do still need to return the card to a sky box occasionally.

Audio is picked up in the transmission same as any other TV card really.

15. deano

deano Registered User

What about Orb?

16. nutcase

nutcase New Member

Morning :)

I appreciate it's been a while since you did this genius bit of tinkering, but I was wondering if you remembered why the technotrend card didn't work? I have a Technisat SKystar HD2 (rebranded Technotrend card) and would like to have a crack at getting sky working on an XP MCE machine. Perhaps the issues have been solved since you did the trial?

Cheers :)

17. Graeme*Kustom*

I've searched to see what this is, but it's not really doing what we were aiming for here.

18. Graeme*Kustom*

Channel changes were the problem I think - the encryption would stop working if MCE changed the channel. Maybe they fixed it, but I note that wherever I've seen PC based satellite discussed on other forums, if it's for Sky then people still recommend FloppyDTV cards. Tried and tested :)

19. nutcase

nutcase New Member

Oh ok, will probably have a play then if no good have a re-think. I like the idea of fitting the Floppy in a floppy bay anyway!

Cheers :) Will report back my (amateur) findings either way. Won't be for a while though, not getting the cable put in from the dish til the 7th. I guess I could use the Technisat for freesat as a second feed if I can sweettalk the installer to run two cables...

20. Graeme*Kustom*

Could be a good bet - if you used MediaPortal (http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/Article_mediaportal.html) then you can allocate certain channels to each card so that the card without encryption just handles free to air channels. Just take care because even some channels you might consider to be 'free' are actually still encrypted. Off the top of my head, 'five' was one such example.