Sky / MCE Integration with FloppyDTV S2

Discussion in 'Articles / Guides' started by Graeme*Kustom*, Jan 29, 2008.

Share This Page

1. Graeme*Kustom*

Graeme*Kustom* Administrator

2. BloomerzUK

BloomerzUK I'm back!

Brilliant mate. Hard work put into that, but it was worth it.

Naughty naughty, Adult Channels :D

3. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

although it's good as a technical excerise.... the Sky HD box (or Sky+) do the job much easier and better IMO.

i went thru the phase of using PCs to run TV and, while it worked, it was just too much hassle keeping the things running smoothly all the time.

4. Smoothy123

Smoothy123 New Member

5. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

on the link you poasted, they state

6. Smoothy123

Smoothy123 New Member

i read that, but i though that this sounded like a hack with all the firmware flashing, so i thought it might work... just hoping.... :(

7. Graeme*Kustom*

I think it's very much a case of Sky+ has it's place, but this technique allows greater flexibility for streaming to media extenders and means you can ditch the sky box itself - seems a shame to spend a couple of hundred pounds on a nice looking HTPC box and then sit on a grey bit of plastic on top of it?

Naturally I realise this isn't for everyone, but it's a bit more than a technical exercise - it's going to be useful for a lot of users. I wouldn't have put time into it just for a laugh, there's few enough hours free in my day as it is ;)

8. Graeme*Kustom*

The firmware flashing - once carried out on a PC - should be OS independant, so it might work but I'm afraid I couldn't say for sure.

Officially, Sky would not support it, since installing the Predator firmware would not really come under the remit of being 'officially supported'.

9. -GPO-Solitaire

-GPO-Solitaire Solitaire

Hm....
    SKY+ box Mod....
    Rip the Guts out of an old Sky+ box stick in a half decent Mobo....Same functionality as the Box plus you can play DVD's on it :)

10. Graeme*Kustom*

I have a slight feeling you might have slightly missed my point above.

But, definitely, +1 point for the humour of it all the same. :)

11. -GPO-Solitaire

-GPO-Solitaire Solitaire

Lol :D

I probably did miss the point. :D

12. Fat Jez

Fat Jez Master of the High Five!

Bear in mind you need to stick the viewing card back in a Sky box periodically as they send refresh signals to the viewing card - keep alive if you prefer.

Cheers,
    Stephen

13. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

this is true, i don't think this was mentioned in the article. if you miss the "stay alive" signal your card is dead.

14. Graeme*Kustom*

I've read mixed reports on this - some people say that you need to keep a connection to the phone line, but the box being used here (prior to being swapped to the FloppyDTV card) was not connected to a phone point for the best part of a year, and didn't have any issue.

Is there something else that the box does that I've missed on ? So far the system shown in the article has been running without the Sky box for about 3 weeks, although I appreciate that's only short term at the moment...

15. -GPO-Solitaire

-GPO-Solitaire Solitaire

I've had mine unplugged from the phone line for a while, it does not affect it's use unless you buy pay-to-view stuff then you need the phone line..

16. Chenks

Chenks Registered Trader

phone lines are only required in a "multi-room" environment. it's what sky use to make sure the box is still in the same house, rather than at your mates house etc.

if you have multi-room and you disconnect the phone line, you will eventually get a letter from sky telling you to plug it back in or else they will start charging you the full subscription, rather than the reduced multi-room fee.

you won't know for sure until you've hit the 5 week mark. sky will attempt to "re-hit" the card during that period to make sure it's still active, as the card isn't in a sky STB it won't be able to receive the "re-hit" and the card will stop working.

as you're only 3 weeks in it probably hasn't attempted a "re-hit" yet.

cards can only receive the "re-hit" whilst in an approved Sky STB. this has been the major stalling point for using sky on a PC without a STB for many years (which is why everyone tends to just use the s-video input method).

the "re-hit" process is done "over the air".

17. Graeme*Kustom*

hmm, ok. I'll append a note on the article just now advising of this potential issue, and will update it when personal experience allows.

As far as I know the Predator firmware just enables channel decryption rather than emulating other features of the Sky box, but will see what happens.

18. kopite

kopite Super Kustomer

Great guide :D

now hows about a mythtv version ;)

THis is what I wanted to do with my HTPC but instead I have given up and have sky+ now.

Will have another look at this option again now as you guys have done this

19. djevil

djevil New Member

20. Graeme*Kustom*

Translation tool on standby :)