Silverstone acoustic cover for psu help?

Discussion in 'Silent PC's' started by duncndisorderly, Aug 2, 2011.

Share This Page

1. duncndisorderly

duncndisorderly New Member

Hi again, on realising I had asked a stupid question I have returned with what I hop to be a beter question, my system is as follows

CPU = AMD Phenom II X6 1090T (6 x 3.2 GHz) AM3 9MB
    PSU = Cooler Master 600W Pro M Modular - Silent (Modular)
    CPU Cooler =Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme - Silent
    MOBO = Asus M4A88TD-M EVO/USB3 (AMD 880G)
    Case =Cooler Master Elite 430 - (Black) Window
    RAM = Corsair 8GB XMS3 PC3-10666 1333MHz (2x4GB)
    Graphics = ATI Radeon HD 6950 - 1 GB - (XFX) XXX (PCI-E)
    Drives = Vertex SATA-II 120 GBSSD and 2 x 1 TB SATA-II 7200 RPM

I am really please with the setup as this was my first build but I fear I am turning into a silence freak as I now am trying to find ways to quieten things down, any suggestions appreciated except hitting it with a hammer, thanks

2. movinginthedark

movinginthedark Trogdor...

Have you got any additional cooling in your system? i.e. fans?

* If so, what make / model are they, how big are they and how fast are they rated (R.P.M)
    * Is sound absorbing matting an option? Or do you have a massive window in your case side panel and wanna keep that clean look?
    EDIT: Googled your case, and yeh - that is a massive window with fan slots cut for additional PCI cooling :/
    Well, depending on how far you wanna go - silence, or near enough would be possible. You can still kit your case out with sound absorbent matting, place silicone gaskets between the fans and the steel chassis, and use plastic/silicone fan mounts.

Your motherboards chipset is passive too, so it's not that it has a tiny fan screaming away, generating noise.
    You mention your PSU and CPU cooler are silent? Is this because they're both passive, or just have quiet low RPM fans fitted and are rated silent by the manufacturer?

It would really help if you could take a picture of the inside of your case to give us a better idea of what we're looking at :)

3. duncndisorderly

Hi and thanks
    [​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

on taking the cover off im 90% certain that its the fan mounted in the case thats kicking up most noise so really I think I need to look at a quieter fan but as always I remain open to any suggestions or guidance, and yes I know the cables are untidy but it is my first build

As to the fans sizes they all look to be 120mm in so far as the ones i fitted where but im not sure as to the size that were pre fitted to the case and psu, the CPU cooler is passive but the PSU is just a low rpm but it has to be said it is very quiet .

4. duncndisorderly

I have been doing some mooching and have settled on a Fractal Design 120mm Silent Series Cooling Fan, im now virtually convinced that its the fan in the see through side making the noise so this will be the first step on a process of elimination, fingers crossed anyway

5. movinginthedark

movinginthedark Trogdor...

Personally - if I were you I would remove the fan on your side panel, and the exhaust from the rear of the case (seen on the left of the image) and use the 120mm/140mm as an intake, and the 120mm/140mm in the top to cool your CPU and provide an exhaust for your system.

If you're at all unsure, download Speedfan here

Install and fire it up - then leave your PC idle for 10 minutes and check the temperature readings. Then use it for everyday normal usage (whatever you use your PC for) for ~10 minutes and check the temperatures again.

After you've got a good idea of how warm your system is running, power it down and unplug the two fans I suggested (as I'm pretty sure they're 3 pin connectors, you wont be able to just turn them off through speedfan)

Then switch it back on and repeat the above steps using speed fan to gauge your idle and load case and processor temperatures.

The PSU fan will be enough to cool itself, your HDD have the intake to cool them, your GPU has a cooler also and this would be vented by the holes left behind in your case side panel, and your CPU is cooled and vented by the exhaust in the top of your case.

I think you'll notice a significant noise reduction and your case temps shouldn't rise significantly. Nothing to worry about I wouldn't have thought anyway :)

Also - if you're interested in fans, I've always found that Noctua are one of the best for low noise and high airflow - providing a quiet cooling solution - however, they do feature a heavy-ish price tag, but you do pay for quality.

Like I mentioned before - if you wanna get really anal about it, look at KustomPC's noise reducing matting here

And rubber mounts/silicone gaskets for your fans here
    I would wanna double check your fan size before purchasing, just wack a tape measure/rule down one of the sides to confirm that they're either 120mm or 140mm

Let us know how you get on dude :cool:

P.S. Sort out them cables you gibbon :p

EDIT: P.P.S. I would also space your HDD's out and utilise your other bays to increase your air intake for other components.
    i.e. HDD / Empty Bay / HDD / Empty Bay / HDD.

6. duncndisorderly

Thanks for the info fella, very much appreciated and I will keep you posted on the outcome. Have downloaded speedfan and once I've done as you suggested Ill get to attacking the cables over the weekend, Cheers