Silicone Sealant Question

Discussion in 'Cooling / Overclocking' started by Digital Doctor, Jul 23, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Loving AMD's new AM1 CPU

Wondering if it would be ok to seal joints inside my homemade reservoir with outdoor white silicone sealant, will the fesser one liquid attack it?

2. plucker

plucker New Member

I doubt that would handle the pressure of the water as its travelling around the system..

and i really wouldnt want to try it and run the risk of frying your system..

3. Ninjagordy

Ninjagordy Winner of The Game (UJFL)

it will be fine.....the loop is not pressurised..... hence topping up your reservoir when running your machine!! :D

4. Bryanese

Bryanese Tasted LAN and liked it.

If you've closed your reservoir (like, it has a filling port and you've then sealed that port along with the rest of your loop) then there will be a slight rise in pressure as the coolant heats and thus expands. While it is calculable, it's pretty much negligible – 1 or 2 PSI above local atmospheric pressure.

Feser One is pretty much just glycol and dye, so to answer your question, no, it shouldn't react with silicon (caulk). To be clear, this is an educated guess and you should perhaps do a bit of an experiment to test the effect just to confirm. Like, some silicon in a glass and pour in some Feser One and leave it overnight then see if it's dissolved or something.

Hope this helps. : )

5. Flash

Flash Regular Kustomer

aquarium grade sealant or Fernox LSX

If you think aquarium's are only held together with sealant up to 1000 litres and the pressures involved can be massive

6. Ninjagordy

Ninjagordy Winner of The Game (UJFL)

+1 on that!!