Silencing Lian Li X1000

Discussion in 'Silent PC's' started by DigiMagic, Sep 15, 2011.

Share This Page

1. DigiMagic

DigiMagic Registered User

Hello all,

In a day or two I expect to get my new Lian Li X1000 big tower. I know it has large openings for fans, but from my previous experience adding noise dampening materials often noticeably helps with reducing the noise, even with openings on the case.

Does anybody have this or similar case, and do you have any recommendations in this regard - preferably some dampening sets currently available in Kustom PC's sound proofing section?
    I plan to leave all the original fans, as most reviews claim they are quiet. CPU will be cooled by a Thermaltake HR-02, either passively or paired with a 14 cm fan. Graphics card is GTX 570, sufficiently silent in 2D mode. Power supply is Corsair HX-something, had a loud fan that I replaced with Noctua. Fan regulation will be done by case's own circuitry, Sythe Kaze Server and/or Zalman fan mates (I have yet to see what will work optimally).

Right now I have a Thermaltake DH202 that overheats and becomes too loud, unless I remove the cover :( I suppose I should have figured out earlier that it is suitable only for low power components...

2. Vicey

Vicey Regular Kustomer

I have a very similar case to that. I have the bigger Lian Li PC-X2000. One thing I noticed straight away with the case was that the included Lian Li 140mm fans were loud. Not amazingly loud but noisy enough that with the rest of my system being water cooled they stood out with a low hum. I replaced these with Xigmatec fans which were rated 6db lower than the Lian Li's and with about 20cfm more air flow. The hum went away and my case is now completely silent.

My case came with acoustic dampening foam already fitted to both doors on the case but I can't see any mention of that feature on the X1000 so you may indeed need to purchase your own if you want it. I believe Akasa sell a high quality foam for inside computers for this usage.

Here is a tip for when you get the case, wear some cotton gloves or something because any fingerprints on this aluminium and you will not be able to get it off. No mater how much you wipe it you wont be able to remove a fingerprint once its touched the surface and I'm not even kidding so keep that in mind!

3. DigiMagic

Thanks Vicey. Still awaiting the case (asked the store why it takes so long, they said I should get it tomorrow)...

I should have almost unused pack of cotton gloves stored somewhere in the company where I work, I've bought them when we needed to handle some optical filters.

Xigmatek fans you are mentioning, is this the model currently being offered by Kustom (if yes, can the LEDs be turned off? I have a projector in the same room)?

4. Koolpc

Koolpc Not From Earth

Fill and Fix foam is good to completely quieten any case. Shake well and pull the trigger!

5. Vicey

Vicey Regular Kustomer

They don't carry the exact same ones as I have but mine are similar to this http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_2565.html

Mine were rated the same 16db / 60cfm and I have white LED'd in mine but the outer shroude is smokey black translucent plastic while the ones on Kustom are completely translucent. The LED's on mine cannot be turned off they are soldered in to the circuit without any way to turn them off.

6. DigiMagic

Got the case, my first Lian Li :)

I left the default fans, when slowed down to about 400 rpm, from 1m distance they are practically not audible. When I find time, I'll program the fan controller to turn some of them off when not needed, but I don't expect that to make noticeable difference.

Anti-noise mats seem to really help anyway. The main source of remaining noise, I think, are WD green hard drives. Kustom's HTPC set with 6 30x30cm mats is nearly perfect: 2x 2 mats almost exactly fit side panels. The remaining 2 mats (these I have not cut and installed yet) should suffice for various flat inner parts.

Bad things about the case, but nothing too serious:
    - cable management could be better; no cables except thinnest ones (like for power and reset switches) fit behind the motherboard tray
    - installation or changing of #1 5.25" device possibly forces removal of #2 and #3 too
    Overall, very happy with the case so far, very low noise easy to achieve, excellent air flow, sufficient space for everything and possible future expansions.

7. ControlPC

ControlPC PC Silencer

HDD will always be a noise source if they're screwed directly into the HDD bay which is attached to the walls, especially on an aluminium case. Decouple them using elastic bungee chord. I got some on ebay.

8. Koolpc

Koolpc Not From Earth

Sewing elastic is what i have usede. Works a treat