Shuttle SG41J1 won't boot Memory Issue?

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor PCs' started by garrrrrr, May 5, 2011.

Share This Page

1. garrrrrr

garrrrrr Registered User

I might know the answer already but just put together my first shuttle pc using the following:

Shuttle SG41J1 Plus Silver XPC Barebone for SKT775 Intel CPUs
    Intel Pentium Dual Core E6600 Socket 775 3.06GHz 1066FSB 2MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor
    1 x Corsair 4GB DDR3 1333MHz Memory Module CL9(9-9-9-24) 1.5V Unbuffered Non-ECC
    320gb Samsung Sata HDD from old computer.

Getting no display on the monitor when I turn it on. Power seems fine as the case and processor fans are working.

Initially I had the whole thing together but have since removed the HDD so it's just processor and memory plugged in.

Have tried reseating the memory into both available slots and also reseating the CPU and fan with no joy.

My guess is that it's down to the memory. The Supported list is here http://uk.shuttle.com/products/productsSupportList?productId=1383 and the 4gb Cosair is not listed. Not got a spare stick to try at the moment.

Should i just pick up a stick of Kingston KVR1333D3N9/4G which seems to be the cheapest one on the support list.

Thanks.

2. latency

latency Existentialist

Is there a system speaker connected? There might be a beep code that can give you more information about the fault...

3. garrrrrr

garrrrrr Registered User

No system speaker on this model which isn't a great idea.

4. latency

latency Existentialist

Don't suppose you have access to a speaker, or maybe another PC you can rob one from?

Personally I would hedge my bets on the motherboard- this situation is one I'm unpleasantly familiar with, here's my logic on it:

- It's never the CPU. Don't know why. They just don't seem to fail.

- It's uncommon for both sticks of RAM to fail together, in the same way. So try one stick at a time, in each slot in turn, and check for any change.

- It's uncommon for a motherboard to reject RAM completely- strange combinations of RAM (single/double sided) can cause problems, but matching RAM very seldom doesn't work at all. It's more likely that either the RAM is faulty, or the motherboard is faulty.

- Faulty RAM, even if both sticks are faulty, usually doesn't prevent some kind of POST, even if it freezes on POST or something like that, there will be SOME sign of life.

So in short, I'd put my money on the mobo. See if you can nick some RAM or a Speaker from another PC, before spending money.

Spare RAM will let you prove if the RAM is faulty, and if a system speaker emits a beep code, that will tell you exactly what fault there is, and proves that the mobo is working.

5. garrrrrr

garrrrrr Registered User

Thanks for your help. Warning couple of noob questions coming up.

6. latency

latency Existentialist

H'mm... 4GB is a lot for a single stick... maybe it is compatibility after all.

Based on that I'm swinging back towards incompatible RAM.

The system speaker will probably emit a RAM Error code, testing some other RAM would be ideal there.

7. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

If memory serves these can take 2x4GB as their maximum RAM, I think this is the model I was looking at to build a cheap HTPC with my spare C2D. That's not to say that there isn't a compatibility problem as some motherboards can have issueswith some RAM but at a basic level it should support a 4GB stick.

Another pretty basic step you can try is to reset the CMOS. Unplug the machine, remove the cell battery from the mobo and leave the machine for about 10 minutes then try again. I have had boards that refuse to boot until this is done but are fine afterwards, typically they've been ASUS ones though.

8. garrrrrr

garrrrrr Registered User

Hey guys turns out it was either a faulty or unsupported RAM stick. Bought a cheap 2gb last night and the machine works no problems. Thanks for your help.

9. Dingle

Dingle Registered User

Hi all, I just want to post my similar experiences and thank you for posting your comments/advice which really helped!

I bought a Shuttle Barebones XPC SG41J1 Plus V2 Black (http://www.shuttle.eu/products/mini-pc/sg41j1-plus-v2/) ("Plus V2“ = DDR3 version with VGA and DVI port)

It came with BIOS version SG41P_00.101 which didn't post/boot with the following DDR3 RAM installed (the CPU and case fans spin/stay on but nothing is displayed on a screen plugged into the on-board VGA slot):
    1 or 2 sticks of 2GB Corsair TW3X4G1333C9A XMS3 PC3-10600 (1333 MHz) DDR3
    2GB INTEGRAL PC3-8500 (1066 MHz) DDR3

but it did boot OK with
    1GB Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9/1G PC3-10600 (1333 MHz) DDR3

so I then flashed the BIOS to version SG41P_00.110 using a bootable DOS USB stick (instructions at http://www.biosflash.com/e/bios-boot-usb-stick.htm)

and now it boots fine with the
    2 twin sticks of 2GB Corsair TW3X4G1333C9A XMS3 PC3-10600 (1333 MHz) DDR3

and my final setup complete!

Cheers,
    Sean