Shuttle SD30G2 ITX Mod

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor PCs' started by Ninjagordy, Mar 27, 2012.

Share This Page

1. Ninjagordy

Ninjagordy Winner of The Game (UJFL)

Hey Man!!! :D

just incase anyone was wondering about an itx shuttle mod (its in various places on the web) i decided to mod my daughters shuttle to a more powerfull and efficient little box.

so , i used an Asrock H61M-ITX 1155 motherboard and a Intel Pentium G620 dual core (Sandybridge) 2.6ghz cpu along with 4ghz G-Skill ripjaw ram i already had.

i used a Seagate Momentus Hybrid as the main drive along with a dvd-rw combi.

now, this is the cool part. i fired in a HD4850 512mb GPu (thanks Ian @ * Kustom* ) and it flies along for what it cost and is a great little system in general, especially for a young girl who's desperate to play the sims , right , the cool part is the 250w , yes i said 250w shuttle psu is MORE than enough to run the whole lot, even when i was looping resident evil benchmark the psu hardly heat up.

the total load based on figures i found is in the region of 169w.

for the disbelievers, the actual max power draw based on test figures for a 4850 512mb is 109w under full load, the G620 in a full test system never went above 59w FOR THE WHOLE SYSTEM.........woot!

so, if your wondering what you can do with that old shuttle case and psu , theres your answer. for somewhere in the region of £135 you can have a little low power sandybridge htpc thats capable of playing all your hd movies or throw in a half decent gpu and it will happily game . the resident evil benchmark was averaging over 100fps which is not too shabby at all considering.

you will need to mod the backplate with a dremmel or similar and alter the stand-offs for the motherboard to fit correctly. i fitted a silent 92mm fan in the place of the shuttle cooler fan.

well impressed with the size/performance/price ratio :D (excluding the hybrid hd as i had that )

all the components for the mod are available off the shelf (normally) at kustom or can be ordered as needed.

THE GAME

;-)

2. Ninjagordy

forgot to mention, the newer shuttles support itx format out the box. the older ones dont hence the modifications. :D:D

3. Nanaki

Nanaki Nanaki

Glad I could help mate. Got to love you and your tinkering.

4. Ninjagordy

lol......ahhhhh the tinkering!! :D