SFF Gallery

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor PCs' started by PJ Matthews, Jul 29, 2003.

Share This Page

1. Ewan

Ewan Registered Trader

Heres mine. Taken with a cam phone so not the best quality but you get the idea.

Attached Files:

2. PJ Matthews

PJ Matthews Moderator Supreme

Haz reduce your signature or I'll do it for you.

3. haz

haz Khronic Kustomer

do it for me plz...(im not bien cheeky)
    not too small tho

4. haz

haz Khronic Kustomer

pj...

where u get your case wrap from???

i dont like any of the ones that kustom is selling...

5. PJ Matthews

PJ Matthews Moderator Supreme

It was from Kustom, who have since reduced their range of Casewraps to include only the more popular ones. If go to the manufactures page you may see other retailers or you could order directly from them.

6. Ewan

Ewan Registered Trader

7. theonlyjd

theonlyjd Registered User

hello all i am new here!

here is my shuttle case! with my initials on the side (j.d).

http://metku.net/modgallery/detail.php?id=2244

i just ordered somestuff from kustom pcs so there is a new shuttle projects coming very soon!

8. Moira

Moira Super Kustomer

9. Jimjam

Jimjam Misunderstood Genius

Finally splashed out :D

[​IMG]

Shuttle XPC SB83G5
    Intel P4 630 Socket 775 3.0GHz 2MB 800MHZ
    Asus GeForce EN6600GT TOP PCI Express Limited Edition 128Mb
    Western Digital Raptor 10000RPM 74GB 8MB SATA
    Corsair XMS3200XLPT TWINX (2 x 512Mb) 1GB Platinum Dual Channel Pack
    Shuttle CR40 Double Layer 16x DVD Writer
    Creative I-Trigue 3400 2.1 Speaker System
    Microsoft XP Professional
    Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop
    Shuttle PC12 8 in 1 Internal Card reader
    IIyama Prolite E435S 17" TFT

Just now a case of getting a better workstation and getting all my stuff off the old hard drive!

10. rover214

rover214 Bite my shiny metal A$$

i tried that a long time ago, it works so well with a flush bezel, looks like nothing is there :)

11. Fireblade

Fireblade Mental Modder[ator]!!

12. add_ryan

add_ryan Registered User

Hi! This is my "little" AOpen EZ18-120 (but it's not a finished yet...) ;) (klick on pic ;))

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

13. haz

haz Khronic Kustomer

Really liking the side panel there :)

Looking good.

14. add_ryan

add_ryan Registered User

Thanks...Me too. :) Brand new AOpen EZ18 look's like this...
    [​IMG] [​IMG] (that's for comparation...;))

15. Moira

Moira Super Kustomer

Superb photos! I really like the side panel too ..... is that watercooling or something?

16. add_ryan

add_ryan Registered User

17. zero303

zero303 New Member

18. SoapSud

SoapSud Water Cooling FTW

Ooo! I never saw this thread before!

I'll get a pic of my Sugo in tommorow probebly!

19. Encore

Encore -= Hot Glue Black Tape =-

Random Tiny Stuff

I'm a long time fan of Kustom, mainly because of the consistently good level of service (put it this way, I've never emailed Kustom and got a reply from an offshore call centre!).

Over the years I've bought a few bits of kit off Kustom for home and for work so I thought it was about time I gave a little back and let you see what I've been up to.

MiniTiny

WARNING: I just realised this video may contain one slightly naughty word towards the end, oops (I may have had a couple of drinks when I made it :D)

MiniTiny is a custom built PC104 solution, this one actually uses a lot of non-Kustom bits but some parts like its WIFI and the LED display (matrix orbital 220 IIRC) are Kustom.

MiniTiny really came together because I realised I had enough spare parts around my desk to build it rather than being designed from the ground up, the PC itself is a Digital Logic PC104 board with a pentium3 core on it, I found an old IBM laptop hard drive for it and built it into that lovely box which was originally a CD storage unit.

The blue glow in the bottom comes from an Akasa fan with blue LED's in.

The whole setup is powered by a custom made 5v power supply which runs from either an external 12v supply, or the 7.2v 3600mah NIMH battery pack housed in the lid (this is a spare RC car battery that just happened to be the perfect size).

The cooling fans are controlled via some recycled FETs I rescued from student projects at work, these FETs are driven off the parallel port header on the board. A bit of VB software I knocked up switches the fans based on the readings it gets from four temperature sensors placed around the inside of the box.

The temp sensors are wired into the gameport of a PC104 soundcard module which is fitted atop the mainboard, windows is setup to see this arrangment of sensors and resistors as 'Two 2-axis 2-button joysticks', the software uses DirectInput to gather readings from the sensors and convert them into aproximate temperature values.

The Display in the front has been wired straight onto one of the serial port headers on the board, the best part about the display though is the fact it is driven by a batch file! Thats right, its all done with CMD.EXE!

I really did this to prove to someone it could be done, if anyone is interested I can chuck you a copy of the script. I also did a similar version for linux as a bash script.

It downloads news headlines using wget and parses out the headlines on a regular basis, then runs in a loop to repeatedly generate substrings of each headline, updating the display to give the scrolling effect.

The Winamp integration was added later and again this is a bit of vb6 code which uses the 'bar graph' feature of the Matrix Orbital display to display a stereo level meter and track names.

Strangely the sound doesn't actually come from the soundcard module, I only use that for the ADC's on the gameport as it picks up too much CPU noise for my liking. Instead USB speakers are used so the digital to analouge conversion actually takes place in the speakers rather than inside the noisy environment of the PC itself.

The combination of WIFI, NIMH battery and speakers make this an excellent little system for listening to music out in the garden.

Okay next up is UMBUNGO

Sorry these videos are long and incredibly boring, these were never originally meant to 'show off' rather as an explanation of the kit (I built this one as a gift for someone).

Why Umbungo? Why because they drink it in the congo of course!
    Only kidding, this was originally a Linux machine running Ubuntu, Umbungo sounds a bit like Ubuntu innit.

I don't think there is much more to say on this one.

Right, that covers old videos I have lying around now for some more recent stuff...

Oh look, whats this classic antique I recycled from a research group?

Top closed

But all is not what it seems.....

Top open

Yes, the keyboard does work (when its plugged in, currently it isn't as the box is running as a server and I don't want the cat walking all over it!).

I custom made a PCB and programmed a PIC to translate between the BBC micro keyboard and PS/2, the power supply is integrated into the case and for retro effect I hacksawed the original beeb power supply to bits and kept the original backplate with the original mains switch and moulded plug.

So when its closed up, it looks and feels just like the original, you can even run an emulator on it for a dose of nostalgia.

I also have a couple of HUSH systems and a some boring machines that run boring services built into very boring Cubid cases so they aren't worth showing here.

The only other thing I can think of is the Coloniser but that is at work, I am at home and I CBA swiping in on a Sunday just to take a couple of pictures, I shall pop in next week some time and post that one soon.

Have a good sunday and happy modding!

Electronic + Engineering = zee UBERl33T

20. nicky munchkin

nicky munchkin Nick is not responding...

I'm thinking you put that movie on your home server with a domestic 380k upload as I opened it minutes ago and its still loading ;) Try Youtube or something.