Seagate Hybrid Drive ST1000LM014 1TB MLC/8GB 64MB

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Berzerkula, Aug 10, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Berzerkula

Berzerkula Registered User

Greetings forum members.

The current hard drive in a laptop has become overburdened and needs a replacement. Also, S.M.A.R.T. is reporting multi zone error rates at 292101227. A low level format could help, and I have data backups, and I think a new drive would be a good upgrade.

The new drive used for the upgrade is the Seagate ST1000LM014
    http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/solid-state-hybrid/laptop-solid-state-hybrid-drive/?sku=ST1000LM014

I would like to know if anyone has been using this generation of hard drive and to give their experience. This drive looks like it would be good to migrate to a future laptop, as well. Usually I use older laptops and upgrade them, which means the newer laptop would most likely not be current. I have a habit of using old machines and upgrading them.

2. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

Personally (having done some research recently after having my own laptop's disk fail) as far as I'm concerned 8GB isn't enough to be hugely useful and doesn't justify the price increase. I don't know USA pricing but here the price difference between that drive and a normal one (e.g. a 1TB WD Blue or a Seagate Momentus) is around £25 which is in a direct £ to $ conversion is roughly $40.

If you want to push the boat out WD do a drive which has a 1TB hard drive and a 120GB solid state drive (which is an actual usable size). Otherwise in my opinion if you need speed, use an SSD. If you need capacity, use a normal drive.

3. Koolpc

Koolpc Not From Earth

A nice Samsung SSD drive is what i have and recommend

4. Bryanese

Bryanese Tasted LAN and liked it.

I'm going to go ahead and disagree with both Archaon and KoolPC, sorry. Currently I'm running two of these Seagate hybrid drives (one in my girlfriend's laptop and one in my server/LANbox) and they are absolutely cracking. They've the storage space I need and the solid state part just acts as a glorified cache and all frequently accessed files end up stored there meaning quick read times on the stuff my machines run often.

1TB drives are, in my opinion, overkill just for a lone laptop unless it specifically requires masses of storage and while you are paying more money for less storage with an SSHD the ratio of cost to additional performance (money over how quickly stuff loads) is unparalleled. Sure, SSDs are fast but the cost/performance ratio is tiny in comparison to that of an SSHD.

I do have to agree that they aren't as fast as a standard SSD, no doubt there – that said, they are (in real world use) far quicker than an HDD while offering similar, more than adequate storage space. See here for a video of Windows booting on one versus an SSD and an HDD.

Basically, if you aren't a mad power user (OP doesn't appear to be) they're a great wee investment and can indeed give an older machine a new lease of life without having to spend upwards of $100+ for an SSD.

Hope this helps. : )

5. Archaon

I'm curious how it performs 'real world' when it drops off of the SSD part? I have seen a number of figures showing that the 8GB SSD part is quite fast but anything that drops off it performs like any other Momentus Thin drive - which is one of the slowest drives available in its class. If you save say 10 seconds on boot and a few seconds from starting program XYZ that happens to be cached, I honestly wonder how much of that have you still saved after using the system for a few hours compared to a drive which will boot slower but perform a little faster overall? I suppose the answer, as always, that it depends on what you do with it.

Just to clarify, Joe Average doesn't have a NAS or media server, they've got their single PC or laptop with its 500GB or 1TB disk and that's their lot. Consequently for a typical lone laptop storage often is a priority precisely because it's alone and those laptops will spend more time mooching around uncached documents and media files than they will loading a cached program. Even if they do load a cached program it'll be a browser that opens in half a second either way, rather than a larger application like Photoshop which would genuinely benefit from being cached onto SSD.

It also irks me that, despite it being a fairly unique product, if you take the £25 price premium into account they're charging around £3.50/GB for the SSD part of the drive. Consumer grade SSDs are currently coming in at around 35p/GB. In other words - if storage isn't a priority - then for £10 more than a Seagate SSHD you can have a 240GB SSD.

I wouldn't have any issues if the SSD part was bigger and/or the price premium was lowered. The WD Black2 is a much more convincing product from a technical standpoint, and although the price is a lot higher (more than double a 1TB SSHD) when you take into account the cost of a 120GB SSD and a 1TB HDD I would consider it to be much better value for what you get.

6. Ninjagordy

Ninjagordy Winner of The Game (UJFL)

i have a 500gb hybrid in my xps..... it pretty much caches all of windows 7 , therefore anything i do on the laptop is very quick. it will learn what you use all the time and it will cache those parts on the ssd section. the difference i find is huge compared to everything on a stock 2.5" laptop hard drive. i have owned a few of these now and cant fault them tbh for performance gains.... not as fast as an ssd but a damn site quicker when using the same programs frequently....

7. Koolpc

Koolpc Not From Earth

I still prefer the normal SSD for raw power. Using a 250g myself in my laptop and its more than enough for me. Anything that needs to be stored goes into my external hard drive.

8. Berzerkula

I'm a power user depending on use. I have received and installed the drive. Right now I'm restoring the archives which I backed up to an external drive. The laptop is used for a server. I did use a Dual P3, but the laptop is more efficient and uses much less power than the 2x 35W TDP of 1.4GHz P3 Tualatin. I even upgraded it from sempron to TL-60 x64 Turion.

This drive will give a great boost to an old laptop. Also, I had not used any hybrid drives until now. It will be a good upgrade for this old Inspiron 1501.

For those wondering why to use a laptop for a server, don't go jump off a cliff. Low power machines, even with ARM, are good servers depending on what kind of data bandwidth you need. So far, the laptop has worked well for a personal server. My wife gave it to me, so I gave it a use, and it is a more powerful machine than the Cobalt RAQ2 or Dual Pentium 3 Tualatin.

I thank everyone for their input thus far.

9. Archaon

When the time comes you might want to look into a HP MicroServer N40L or N54L. They are still low power machines (Turion based, in fact) but you have the flexibility to use RAID and add PCIe cards.

HP has spent the last few years spanking them out at around £230 with £50 or £100 cashback so there's millions of the things kicking around, I doubt they'll be worth much in a year or two.

10. Berzerkula

So far, the drive has been excellent. Thank you for all of the feedback. A bit late, but hey, I tested it for a long time.