SATA III SSD Problem

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Digital Doctor, Jun 15, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Loving AMD's new AM1 CPU

Hello,

Strange problem here that i cannot figure out, just built a new computer specs are:

ASUS M5A99FX PRO V2.0 Motherboard
    2x4GB DDR3 1866Mhz Ram
    750W Seasonic PSU
    2xTranscend 32GB SATA III SSD's
    Win7 Pro x64
    ATI HD6450 Graphics
    AMD FX Piledriver FX8320 8 core cpu

Right, the motherboard has 8 sata 6gbps ports 6(6 for AMD SB950 Chip) and 2 for Asmedia chip

I have installed windows on both sets of ports (tested all) but my ssd is only running at sata 3gbps, atto benchmark too is also showing VERY slow performance of the ssds (both of them)

The drives are supposed to hit over 550mbps each but i can barely reach 120mb/s read and 30 mbps write

I really cant understand why this is happening for me its a proper head scratcher?

I have installed all latest drivers and even in the raid utility in the bios they are showing as 3gbps not 6, at my wits end with this problem can anyone think of why this is happening?

Thanks for your time.

2. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

I have issues with my SSDs when they're very full that causes the system to constantly freeze for a couple of seconds when data is being written. Read speeds were fine as long as nothing was being written at the time.

1) First step I'd suggest is to turn on AHCI in the BIOS, if it isn't already. It's possible that will bork Windows but worst case you can always flip it back. I think Windows 7 is normally ok with it.

2) See if Transcend have a firmware update utility. If they do, use it.

3) Given that they're 32GB and presumably have Windows installed I would assume that they're at least 70-80% full, so that would be my another port of call. See if you can free up any space - delete restore points you can live without, turn of page file if you use it, run disk cleanup with admin rights and remove everything it lets you (often keeps WIndows updates and stuff like that).

PS - 120Mb/s and 30Mb/s is very very slow but you'll never hit 550Mb/s

3. Digital Doctor

Hello,

AHCI is enabled in uefi bios

Just run sisoft sandra lite and its reporting the motherboard as sata 3 but showing the ssds as sata 2???

[​IMG]

The sata 150, and 300 are seperate dvd and platter drive

[​IMG]

sandra is saying the drives are sata2 when theyre supposed to be sata 3 very strange

Attached Files:

4. Archaon

What model are they?

5. Digital Doctor

They are model transcend SSD340 32GB

6. Digital Doctor

Problem Found!

Right found out at last what the problem is here, these drives are in fact SATA II and NOT SATA III,

Im going to get onto trading standards about this for the pure fact they have completely wasted my time, this is surely wrong to advertise these drives on the box as SATA III when they are NOT.

Please stay away from these drives, the fastest they will ever run at is 38mbps write and 120mbps read.

I am not impressed.

7. Archaon

SSD340 is listed as SATA 3 however only 64GB, 128GB and 256GB models are listed. Is it possible that it's an older model and whoever you purchased them from screwed up the description?

8. Digital Doctor

Dunno m8, but it states clearly on the box they are sata III, I bought them from 2 different shops too.

9. plucker

plucker New Member

That sucks Digital Doctor...
    I like using Kingston SSD's personally..
    Never had an issue with them. and always been fantastic for me..

Im currently in the middle of sticking 8x 120gb SSD's in my new computer build.. all in RAID 0 of course. 960gb of Super duper speed :D
    That will do nicely for my OS and a couple of steam/origin games that are current played..
    Then sticking 2x WD caviar green 1tb's in aswell, one for general data backup (i have precious photos), and the other for steam/origin game data backup.. so if i want to revert back to another game at anytime, i just put that in the client folder of the SSD drive.. and get back to playing it :D