Rumour control: Intel to introduce six core CPU's?

Discussion in 'Tech News' started by Fireblade, Feb 29, 2008.

Share This Page

1. Fireblade

Fireblade Mental Modder[ator]!!

12-core workstations here we come :eek:

Source: Custom PC.

Will it ever end!?

2. Tom

Tom Merrrrrr

No way. Future here we come..

Also, who said this was a rumour? :confused:

3. saltynay

saltynay Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

It wasn't that long ago that a lot of things we take for granted were cutting edge and rumoured about

1996 - £5000 buys you
    dual 200mhz cpu
    with the latest cdwriter at 6xspeed
    64mb Ram
    the latest USB technology
    "Biggest question mark will be: just how do you plug these new Universal Serial Bus devices in? Because the USB isn't a serial port; it's a bus, and you plug all 63 possible devices into the same socket. How? Well, until we start seeing devices, we simply don't know! There will be phones, scanners, sound systems, keyboards and mice, and they'll all go into the "daisy-chain" connector. But will each device have an "in" and another "out" socket? Or will there be a single daisy-chain wire with lots of T-pieces? Nobody seems to be quite sure. It's a standard, you see."
    (always makes me chuckle)
    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/itmanagement/0,1000000308,2064166,00.htm

4. FlyingHaggis

FlyingHaggis Regular Kustomer

Another nail in AMD's coffin?

They were slow on 4 core chips and don't seem to be selling.

5. Tom

Tom Merrrrrr

Oh hush. There's a big door that naturally swings both ways, and changes direction every few years. The sign on it reads: 'CPU Performance Crown'.

It'll change again sometime and everyone will be asking 'Argh, why are Intel so bad? Will they last another 5 years?'

6. LSG501

LSG501 You can call me Levi

Temps are my interest again, along with nehalem temps (want a nice cool quad+ for my sugo)

As for phenom - its a good chip fundamentally and you could look at in a different way, yes its slower but its technically a superior chip with memory controller built in - intel is only now releasing their version what a year after phenom was released and how long was the athlon chip released so obviously its a better solution to multi chip approach.

Also once amd get past their issues and ramp up speed and get on the bolt on a second/third set of cores to a cpu idea that intel has then it might get a little more interesting.

Unfortunately amd are currently a bit dumb and seem to be giving money away :rolleyes:

7. Tom

Tom Merrrrrr

Fighting the industry giant from an inferior position, and in a war of the prices no-less, was never going to be easy for them.

They made a good decision to acquire ATI, but it'll be a while before they're back on their fighting feet properly.

But when they do have it all sorted, and Intel start releasing GPU/CPU hybrid multicore chips, it's going to get majorly interesting. I should imagine by that point everyone will be predicting Nvidia's inevitable demise. :rolleyes:

8. LSG501

LSG501 You can call me Levi

iirc intel has the biggest share (over 70% I think) of graphics chips market anyway, mainly due to the use in laptops and 'dell' type systems. Its only the enthusiasts that go for the higher price alternatives.

9. nicky munchkin

nicky munchkin Nick is not responding...

Each company is always taking the crown from each other. AMD were on top for a good 5 years, now its Intel's turn. ATI are doing quite well, the 3870x2 is selling, and until the 9800GTX or whatever the hell its called (and will inevitably cost twice the price), is the best consumer gaming card on the market.

10. ArTizan

ArTizan Member of the Month

I'm sure AMD will always be successful, as there will always be a large proportion of people who don't like Intel chips and will buy AMD, regardless of price, just to have an alternative.

11. FlyingHaggis

FlyingHaggis Regular Kustomer

Don't get me wrong, I like AMD, got a 4200 X2 that only cost me £50 and is fantastically fast for the price. And as for people wanting to buy AMD just because it's AMD, I understand why they would want to, but I just think it's a bit daft choosing brands just because of the brand. Whichever brand is producing the best for the least always seems the best option for me.