Razer Tarantula Review

Discussion in 'Articles / Guides' started by Graeme*Kustom*, Nov 18, 2006.

Share This Page

1. Graeme*Kustom*

Graeme*Kustom* Administrator

Our review / guide on the forthcoming Razer Tarantula keyboard is now live !

Go and see here!

[​IMG]

Leave any comments you'd like to add below :)

As far as I can see we're the first UK site to have reviewed this product. Ooo. Exclusivity.

2. Rebel=UK=

Rebel=UK= New Member

Cool i want one, looks smart :)

3. movinginthedark

movinginthedark Trogdor...

Buy it an keep it in its box - the gloss black would show up scratches and dust wouldn't it?

No using it with rings/wrist watches on.

4. XiLLy

XiLLy New Member

Looks awesome, I think i'll be getting one, i've been after a new keyboard for a while but none of which have the key layout that I like over near the cursors/end/delete etc, finally a gaming keyboard that caters for me :)

5. rly?

rly? Regular Kustomer

nice review, i would be buying one if i hadnt bought a g15 a month ago :(

6. Graeme*Kustom*

Update on this - they've been delayed till January. :(

7. moonmonkey

moonmonkey Kustomer

So who's gonna get one of these?

I'm tempted. I've been living of £10 keyboards for the majority of my computing life. I've used the mice (don't own one yet) and I think they are the best, wondering if the keyboard will live upto the mice's reputation.

I have a question for Graeme though. The headphone / mic socket on the keyboard, is that its own soundcard or is there a cable that runs to ur sound ports on ur computer?

8. Hutchy

Hutchy *\\(^o^)//*

Is there not a UK layout version yet? :(

9. Graeme*Kustom*

Good question - it's just an extension though, on the cable running to the PC there's plugs to go into your existing sound card.

It's available in January, that's what we'll be selling. We got a loan of a USA model to check out.

10. Ruff

Ruff Christmas All Year Round!

^ You can change the keys, and i imagine (didnt read the whole review yet) change the keyboard layout, even thou im sure you can do that anyway.

11. regularhero

regularhero Registered User

Hi Graeme, Great article i have a question i must have answered before i order please :)

I know you state the razer can do 6 key presses but does this include the arrow keys?

i ask because i got a g15 for xmas and cant move forward and left or right plus hit num pad 0 to jump :/

if the razer can do this then i am going to return the g15 and get myself one.

not sure if you can test it out for me? as its such a new keyboard i couldn't find the answer anywhere else.

cheers

rH

12. Hairy Lemon

Hairy Lemon New Member

i saw a review of this in a magazine it sed its down falls were the price other than that its good

13. Strat_Whore

Strat_Whore Registered User

Graeme, Any estimates on a date that the UK layout of this will be available?
    Ive been trawling the internet trying to find a UK layout version. I saw that you said you'll get them in January, but can't miss the fact that Jan is near enough been and gone.

I initially ordered one from Medusa-UK (A registered retailer of Razer, Linked from razerzone.com) but they told me that any estimates as to when the UK layout will become available have been recalled by Razer. Do you know if this applies to the Tarantula aswell.

These keyboards look so nice but it seems like you cant get a UK layout one for love nor money.

_GJ_

14. Graeme*Kustom*

Been and gone - the article above was written at the end of 2006. They did make a UK Tarantula and they did come in last January but the last of them sold out a month or two ago. Bearing in mind that there's quite a selection of different layout types and that the UK is only a smaller chunk of that market, it possibly isn't economical for them to produce another batch of UK units*, especially as the biggest sales run on this kind of product is when they're first launched and then demand gradually falls.

Could be worth hunting around in case somewhere still has one, but otherwise it's not too difficult to just leave Windows set for the UK layout and remember that the @ and " signs are swapped over and that Shift and 3 gives £ instead of the hash sign.

15. Strat_Whore

Strat_Whore Registered User

Ah, ok. Ive only been looking for the keyboards for a few weeks or so since i bought my PC. I just went onto good ole' Wikipedia to see the diff tween US and UK layouts. Can you type a £ sign with the US version? It didnt show it anywhere on the diagram.

Last random question, are you getting the new Lycosa's in at all?

16. Graeme*Kustom*

If you leave Windows set to the keyboard being UK layout then when you press Shift and 3 , a £ sign will appear. Even though the key is marked differently, as long as Windows thinks its a UK keyboard, it'll act as so.

Yes, we are getting Lycosas (should be next week) - they're already on our site. I think the first ones might be US layout on those as well actually.