Quiet H.D.D's

Discussion in 'Silent PC's' started by Digital Doctor, Aug 18, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Loving AMD's new AM1 CPU

Hello all,

Ive built a c2quad q9300 bedroom pc and everything on it is 100% silent, cpu, vga and psu are all fanless, now im looking for the quietest platter hdd out there, don't want to put an ssd in as I want a larger hdd to store all my films.

Thanks guys n gals.

2. Samsonite

Samsonite Mine's a frosty one

I think to have a quiet platter drive, a lot comes down to the case or at least the use of silicone grommets to absorb some vibrations. Having said that, my Samsung Spinpoint F1 has been silent for years (but I do have the silicone preventing it from touching the case). According to reviews, the WD Red series are quiet.

3. phil2715

phil2715 Registered + Sale

If it's just going in a desktop a WD Red would be a bit overblown. The greens are pretty quiet though (low RPM) and more than capable if you're just using it as a media drive.

I'm using a 3TB WD Green in my desktop (Corsair 550D) with the standard soft mountings and you can't hear it spin or seek.

As Samsonite says though, the mounting and case damping will have more of an effect than the drive itself (barring a Raptor or something of course!).

4. Ninjagordy

Ninjagordy Winner of The Game (UJFL)

512gb ssd's are reasonably priced these days!

5. Koolpc

Koolpc Not From Earth

SSD is the only way to go for quietness. Well worth the outlay.