Quick: which processor is better?

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor PCs' started by slicknshady, Sep 1, 2010.

Share This Page

1. slicknshady

slicknshady New Member

Intel Core I5 661 Dual core CPU 3.33GHz (900Mhz GPU)

or

AMD Phenom II X4 945 (3.0ghz) 8mb cache

I think its the first but I'm new to all this. Thanks

2. rossmckillop-1

rossmckillop-1 New Member

Hi
    The first one has a higher clock speed but it is a dual core whereas the second is a quad core therefore the second one would be faster :D

3. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Please wait for more comments before making up your mind :)

4. slicknshady

slicknshady New Member

What do you think Cosmo?

5. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

The Intel i5 661 doesn't features TXT (whatever that is) but it does include hyper threading, this gives you 4 logical cores. The i5 750 doesn't include Hyper Threading but does have four physical cores at 2.66Ghz for about the same price. Assuming you don't need the intergraded graphics card.

As Latency has said else where on the forums the AMD is more future proof because of the AM3 socket. For example you can't upgrade from a quad core i5 to a six core i7 because they use a different socket but nearly all of AMD's consumer range use the same socket.

Speed has never really been a good measurement of different processors families. Whilst one might be faster it might perform far worse than a slower processor. Depending on what you plan to do with your comptuer. More speed might be a better choice than more cores.

6. latency

latency Existentialist

Yea I'd go with the AMD as well.

As cosmo said that I said, the AM3 is a stronger platform at the moment, with a much wider range of chips available for later upgrades.

Multi-core is the future, and you could clock that X4 up to 3.33GHz straight out the box with no modification anyway, so that brings it out on top as well.

And the final nail in the coffin, is that the X4 is SIXTY POUNDS STERLING cheaper, and on that note, you'd have to be bonkers to get the i5, assuming this is a custom build.

7. slicknshady

slicknshady New Member

Thanks for the swift reply.

I will mainly be using the system for office 2010, web browsing and programming. But I do multitask alot (music + office + downloads + email/outlook etc)

I think it seems like neither is much superior to the other.
    I am also getting the i5 at £30 cheaper if that makes the decision easier?

8. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Based on your tasks I'd recommend a Pentium 4 with a modern graphics card to offload HD processing. Actually you mind neeed an AMD Althon 64 to watch 1080p youtube :)

Basically thoses tasks aren't going to stress the processor, whatever one you buy.

9. Tom

Tom Merrrrrr

At those requirements, make sure you do get the i5 with the integrated GPU. You'll be able to buy a board with the outputs on the back (The Gigabyte GA-H55M-UD2H is one I'm looking at myself) and forego any form of extra graphics card - save the wattage.

Two cores and a GPU are all you need. :)

10. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

God not the Pentium 4. You'll cause a meltdown at the local power plant. They're not use to the power and heat consumption these days!!!

(Yes yes I know, we still have 2 of them, used daily lol.)

11. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Loving AMD's new AM1 CPU

Go for the amd m8 you wont regret it

12. IIUnbouNdZz

IIUnbouNdZz Pro Gamer

I you were to get a Intel, You would be best with the i7, but i would personally go for the i5:)

13. Ninjagordy

Ninjagordy Winner of The Game (UJFL)

i have played with most of the amd/intel field and tbh AMD's price performance ratio is by far the best option. just my view. although in various benchmarks the intel cpu's are faster , in real world every day use they are just not worth the extra cost as you wont notice the difference!!!

14. gamerdude1989

gamerdude1989 Banned

go with amd mate, defo.. best bang for the buck, and you wont be displeased, i guarantee it.

15. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

The last post was a year ago. Please read the dates before replying. Whatever processor he wants he's already bought and has been using for the last 12 months.

16. Ninjagordy

Ninjagordy Winner of The Game (UJFL)

haha...nice one cosmo...... i just read the thread and never checked the dates...... it came up in todays posts...LoL

17. gamerdude1989

gamerdude1989 Banned

ah that anoys the s**t out of me, ya sit there and help someone, well thinking you are, just to find out some douche dragged up an old thread :D

18. silve225

silve225 Super Kustomer

wow. i read this a couple of times. never noticed that. They should have a message pop up in big red letters saying its old. whenever a thread is more then 30 days old for noone does stuff like this