Public Educational Announcement

Discussion in 'Rant forum' started by latency, Feb 2, 2006.

Share This Page

1. Fireblade

Fireblade Mental Modder[ator]!!

That would probably cut the total # of posts by at least half :eek:

:D

2. UbT

UbT Formerly NapsterUK

I will admit i do tend to swear in my posts, but i dont think i write in short hand. And i must admit it does anoy me.

3. Zender

Zender Animated Blip

I also agree.

I could never figure out the IIRC but it never seemed to effect my understanding of the post so it didn't bother me that much.

4. Big Adam

Big Adam Super Moderator

Swearing in posts is fine as the swear filter will pick it up.

BYPASSING the swear filter will result in a spanking :mad:

5. latency

latency Existentialist

Just to set the record, it was a long time ago when I used 'l4t3ncy' ;)

My screen name is just 'latency' now. I have learned that Little Gamers and Megatokyo are the ONLY people who can legitimately use l33t and still look cool.

6. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

I'm behind this too. With text talk i don't mind most of it but sometimes its like "what the hell did you just say???". I think text talk has no place on forums because the idea is to help each other out in a clear readable way so anyone can understand it.

The main reason for me talking in full (spelling the words) is because I did badly at english at school so this is my way of self improvement.

7. fatnickc

fatnickc Yes...

I'm behind it, and have been for quite a while. Another thing that bugs me is people not using capitals enough (or obviously using them too much).

And on the abbreviation subject, I thought until moderately recently that FTW was just WTF backwards..

8. TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy Obey Him

Dont get me wrong I do agree, but you cant say that the stuff above is ok becuse its not text speak when it is. Make your mind up.#

Fireblade this is not aimed at u, yours was just the best to quote :)

9. Cod Ball

Cod Ball odd ball

Trigger, in you're last post you forgot to spell 'yours' as 'urs' i am deeply saddened.
    However i do agree that this is crappy childish text speak, yes yes it may be cheaper if you want to send a long text message as one so you can save money and that is good, but it's not like you have to pay per letter on forums...and people who say 'rl' really makes me feel sorry for them, i don't know why but it makes them seem really really sad and not the 'cry cry' kinda sad.

You have no one to blame but yourself, don't try and pin it on you 'life' you kno0w how to spell the words correctly so do so!

10. Zender

Zender Animated Blip

I use 'lol' :eek:

Mainly because I've somehow come to the conclusion 'haha' sounds sarcastic :confused:

11. TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy Obey Him

So ive use ur once or twice, i dont think anyone can HONESTLY say they havent.

QFT, FWIW, YMMV

text speak is at least more understandable, its not about the money, if that what you worry about when you text someone your a very sad person. Scrimping over a few pence. Its about speed.

Forthy
    "u r help meh wiv my prb cuz my screen go boom lol"

Have you seen me post like that. NO!

Also text speak is abbriviateing words, but at least it can be figured out fairly quickly. these are not QFT, FWIW, YMMV.

yes i dont think that text speak should be used on the forums, but acronyms like that shouldnt be used either

12. Carbine

Carbine Watercooling Monster

On the other hand, other than writing in text speak etc.. what about spelling.

On several forums i am registered to, they have spell checker buttons when writing a post. Would be nice to have one of those considering the amount of people who can't write a word properly and i'm like 'WTF are you on about?'

13. Fireblade

Fireblade Mental Modder[ator]!!

Why don't you PM Graeme and ask if he'll change the way your username is spelt just now... to how you want it to look ;)

14. Cod Ball

Cod Ball odd ball

I spy with my little eye who doesn't have enough people to text....
    Think how much a text costs.....10 texts is £1 right? that can easily be spent a day or maybe every couple of days which ends up being alot of money at the dn of a month, and if you don't want a long message to be 20p then you shorten words to get it down to 10p, over time with alot of people it ends up handy, but not on a forum and are you slow at typing? because it doesnt take long to type 'you' or 'you're' it takles hardly any time at all!

ahhh that feels better.

15. TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy Obey Him

Find me a phone package that dose'nt come with at least some free text messages, even pay as you go phones do now.

i send text messages as much as the next guy but i also have free messages :)

16. Cod Ball

Cod Ball odd ball

the magic word being..........SOME.........

17. haz

haz Khronic Kustomer

yes, :)

Completely agree with L4T3NCY and others, txt speak should be banned! (Other than its use in text messages, for which I have no problem with if it saves money)

18. renegotiation

renegotiation Regular Kustomer

Lol.

I love lol. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOOOOOL! :)

19. latency

latency Existentialist

I don't even use txt speak when I'm texting people... if the message I'm sending is too long for one message, then I call them, it's usually cheaper anyway, rather than sending acknowledgements back and forth.

One of my old employers and his wife never ever replied to text messages. They refused outright to use them, and just called the person back instead.

Haha can sound hollow too I think, so I use hee hee or heh instead. Better to vary it though, other wise it sounds like you don't care.

ps- PH34R THE USERNAME

20. haz

haz Khronic Kustomer

Capital L? :p

And yes, I do realise my username has a lower case 'h' at the beginning too.

Texting is necessary sometimes, for instance it's hard to call people in lessons or lectures, at work, etc.. :)