Printers

Discussion in 'Rant forum' started by Samsonite, May 23, 2014.

Share This Page

1. Samsonite

Samsonite Mine's a frosty one

What has happened to printers in recent years? When I was in university in 1999, I got an HP Deskjet and it was perfect in terms of speed, quality and could print anything perfectly. I cannot even remember if it broke or why I got rid of it but I think it lasted 10 years. Since then, I have got through about 3 more printers. They just seem to get worse!

My current printer is a Kodak and the reason I got that was because I needed a printer right now because my old one packed up and so I went to a high street shop and bought it. It was the cheapest to run (apparently). The ink is cheap, but it runs out really quickly and the software is horrible - you have to install a massive app on every machine on the network even though it is a network printer. When the ink is getting slightly low, it stops allowing printing and forces you to order more ink. Really bloody annoying, I know that it can print more pages as the previous ones were fine, but it physically denies this.

The quality of the printing was ok, but recently has been poor - bought many Kodak cartridges and the quality flits between ok and poor - and by poor I mean it looks like someone smeared melted butter all over a text document and blurred it to kingdom come.

I just replaced cartridges again today because I wasted an entire cartridge just trying to clean and align the cartridges... Now it is printing ok again. While I could just say "ok, it works again now" I am so annoyed that I feel like just buying a new printer and getting rid of this one!

So I have been looking for a while today at printers and it occurs to me that the vast majority of printers are the same as the one I have: Terrible software that must be installed on every machine being public enemy number one. So far it seems that you have to buy an HP or a Dell to avoid this. Even Brother which has been around forever apparently has crappy software.

Anyone have any happy stories about printers and is there a printer where you can simply use it without installing a stoopid app?

Rant over. Well not really.

2. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

Not like I use bajilions of them but I like Canons. Had an old BJC one which was bullet proof, my current Pixma is a cheap but good enough photo printer and my mum's Laserbase has lasted getting on for 7 years and is starting to have issues now but still refuses to die. Given that she's self employed in a paper-heavy profession that thing probably gets more abuse than it would in the average small office it's designed for.

Last HP my Dad bought - admittedly one of the really cheap ones Tesco was flogging - wouldn't even feed paper. Tried everything from cheap copier paper through to heavyweight photo paper and no dice.

3. Samsonite

It does seem like each individual printer has its own story. The Canons looked ok, but some reviews were negative. So far I am most impressed with the HP Officejet 6700 Premium - looks ugly as sin but does double-sided (duplex) printing and feed-scanning. HPs always seem to be good on not needing software as they are such a major printing brand. May give it a go as I've found one for £98...

And 34 ppm - seriously fast print speed!

4. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

I had a Canon IP5000 and the only reason we got read of that was because the printer head failed. It was a great printer. Built in duplex printing, paper tray and top feed, cd printing and indivdual cartiages. It even had one black for pictures and a larger one for text documents.

I also have a Canon Pixma MP270 that must **** ink. I was given to me by uni and I swear it cleans the printer heads whenever you turn it on and uses loads of ink. Cartiages come to about £40 and all the colours are in one cartiage.

My parents have a Epson R320 which seems pretty good but refuses to print whenever one cartiage runs out. Why you can't print a black word document because you're out of yellow I have no idea. Carts are cheapish.

Cheap printers seem to come with smaller carts than the ones you soon to have to buy from the shops which cost more than the printer. The exspensive ones seem to be cheaper for carts.

If I were you I'd take a look at Epson, also HP and higher end Canons.

5. latency

latency Existentialist

Laser Printer Master Race here.

I bought a second-hand Dell 3110cn 4 years ago. The yellow tonor cart was low.

That SAME YELLOW TONOR cart is still low.

Obviously if you're buying brand new you might have to get something a little smaller, but my point is that lasers are way better in the long run.

The only thing you can't do is photo printing (although they do colour images just fine) but for that I'd rather get it done properly at a photography / copy shop anyway, where their printer is professionally colour balanced.

6. Koolpc

Koolpc Not From Earth

Canon have always been the better maker for me. HP have been pants so far.

7. Samsonite

Hmm well it seems that experience teaches us nothing - we all have different experiences. From reviews of new printers - the vast majority have terrible software now and that is a big turn-off. I have a great deal on an HP, so may take it up. My HPs were always good, but switched to cheaper brands for whatever reason and was not happy. HP generally still make good hardware so will probably chance my arm once more - I will report back soon. I think with printers it comes down to each individual printer really. The one I am looking at has 100s of great reviews, none bad so let's see what we end up with...

And on the laser/inkjet argument - I print less documents than I used to and more photos - I have about 1000 sheets of premium glossy photo paper - I think inkjet works for me in this case otherwise I would have to buy 2 printers... They hardly cost much, but my office is already looking pretty swamped with equipment!

8. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

Yeah. If you do a lot of document printing or you're a uni student then a laser printer would be a good investment. For the odd use and / or photos inkjet are best. Our last four main printers have all been photo printers cos my parents are into photography. We started getting things printed off at Jessops until they went pop.

9. Samsonite

In the end I got an HP Officejet 6700 Premium for £84 and have to say that it is awesome (as far as printers go). Well built, every option under the sun - ethernet, auto-feeding scanner for multi-page scans, double-sided printing and very fast. The touch screen works well and for instance, I scanned something using the control panel and told it to send it to my wife's laptop and it did. Also on my Nexus 10, I went to set up the printer, but it had already detected it on the LAN and configured it!

Can't believe how poor my last printer was for £70 - this feels like something way more expensive.

10. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

That's good to know, I got my Canon MP270 out recently. For some reason when you scan in Fireworks the Red and Blue channels seem to be swapped >.

11. FinlandsForsh

FinlandsForsh ChrisForsh

and cheaper then getting a printer and ink carts working photo quality

last time I got photos printed at a photo print place they charged me 10 cent per photo ,in normal photo size
    bigger photos wasn't so much more money either

I remember getting a photo pack for a old hp printer,scanner,copyer
    again it was bullet proof, cartridges was not so expensive,25 euro for the colour and 15 euro for the black
    it did very good photos

but the copyer shops are the best and work out cheaper in the long run

12. plucker

plucker New Member

i see somewhere, that the cartridges have little chips in them, to let the printer know when they are low..
    thats why when you take them out and put them back in, the printer knows it aint a new cartridge..
    But apparently, the companies thob you off, the cartridges arent completely empty..
    You can get cartridge chip resetters, so the printer thinks its a fresh cartridge, and lets you use all the ink..
    or just buy refill kits, and keep resetting them.. Got to be alot easier...

My epson all-in-one thingy told me my black cartridge was empty, i got a resetter than cost like £7 on ebay, and i got like another 30-40 pages of black printing out of it, before it was actually empty...
    i then just drilled a small hole in the cartridge, syringed some more black ink into it, reset it again, and Tada...
    the refil kits cost around £15.. but you can refill the cartridges multiple times.
    so much cheaper than replacing complete cartridges multiple times..

13. Samsonite

Yeah. it's been a well known scam since cheap printers first appeared about 15 years ago. It was amazing that you could buy a printer for under £50, but at the time I remember one set of cartridges was £70 and they give you promotional tiny cartridges with the printer so that within weeks you have to go and spend more than a new printer - so it was cheaper to buy a new printer!

Still very happy with my HP - ink has not run out yet on the first set of cartridges, but i got a few packs for next to nothing due to a nice deal. I think that business printers have more of a reason to last a long time with ink - no business is going to be happy about spending time and money messing around with the printer that everyone is using.

I think I have left consumer printers for good now - not even cost-effective.

14. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

They're cost effective for very occasional printing (which in all fairness is what most consumers do) but as you say for even semi-regular use they're typically either unreliable or costly to run - or both.

15. Samsonite

Very true - I work from home 90% of the time, so tend to give equipment a thorough testing!

16. brumster

brumster Midland Muppet

HP LaserJet 2600n here - has been going strong for yeeeaaaars and to be honest, it's up for a complete cartridge swap so I'm taking the opportunity to upgrade it to a newer Laserjet model; not because anything is wrong with the outgoing, but I figure it's time to upgrade... the old one will find a good home but the new one has copier/scanner as well, and will be more efficient with it's toner.

I've got an HP Officejet Pro 8100 and it is, quite frankly, **** beyond belief. As an HP employee myself, I'd want to lynch the dumbass who designed that thing - it consistently will not pick up photo paper at all, completely deficient in it's design, but can I get HP to do anything about it? Can I ********.

Epson were no better.

I avoid inkjets like the plague; I have one purely for the occasional photo print someone asks me to do. But if you factor in the cost of ink, the constant head cleaning, I don't think they are cost effective at all :(

17. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

I remember when I was teen and got my first computer dad bought us a printer, it came with only a colour cartiage and no cable so we had to go back and buy the black cartiage and a usb cable so we could plug it in. It was only meant for school work but I remember it being utter ****.

On my old Cannon you had a black for docs and one for photos but for some reason the photo one wasn't working until I removed the chip on it then it did work. Turned out I'd been sold a cart for a different printer. We have an inkjet cos we used to use it for photo printing but we don't use it that often now but still a semi decent printer. It's a Epson 340R iirc.

18. Samsonite

One interesting thing I've noticed on the 6700 is that if you don't use it for days, it occasionally it turns itself on and performs some maintenance tasks for a few minutes - this seems to keep it ready for action.

I think auto-feeding scanning is a good feature, but double-sided printing has to be the best feature - save a lot of paper!

19. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

I can't scan a f**king document because it's out of black ink!!!! This Canon MP270 has always been rubbish but this is too much. The only reason I still have it is because it has a scanner but now it wants to be taken down the dump.

:mad::mad::mad::mad: