Possible Graphics Card issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by greshoff, Jun 22, 2016.

Share This Page

1. greshoff

greshoff Registered Trader

Hi,
    My computer running Windows 7 has suddenly started freezing. No new software, drivers or hardware have been installed. Once frozen the only thing I can do is power off and restart. However on restarting there are a series of blue lines running vertically down the screen and the computer doesn't go any further than the windows logo. If restarted again it says that windows needs to be repaired using the windows disc. I tried this but it couldn't be fixed.
    I restored an image I had made and it was back to normal. This has now happened 3 times and I want to try to find out what is causing this to happen.
    Is it hardware related, graphics card or software related? I don't have a spare graphics card to try.
    Thanks for any advice

Specs
    CPU - i5 Ivy bridge
    Graphics card- gforce 8600gt
    Motherboard- gigabyte- Z77-D3H
    Boot drive - Crucial- mx200 ssd

2. greshoff

This also happened when attempting to wake up the computer. Display remained black and again had to turn off the computer by pressing the power button. Computer wont restart normally & have to restore image.

3. thegreatpoobarr

thegreatpoobarr New Member

That MB should have onboard gfx, which shouldn't actually be all that far off the performance of your 8600gt. Fire it up without the card and you'll be able to rule out the GPU as the issue.

Just a side note, I had that very MB die on me at exactly the same time as some RAM decided to mess up (could've been related, only found the RAM was dodgy when it was installed into new kit, and with lots of help from Graeme!).

4. greshoff

Thanks for the reply, I removed the graphics card and am using the integrated gpu and so far have not had a recurrence of the issue so it does indeed seem to have been caused by a faulty/dying graphics card

5. thegreatpoobarr

thegreatpoobarr New Member

Excellent news! It could be something as simple as a heat issue, so maybe removing the heat sink, replacing the thermal paste and reattaching would do the job, but for a card so old (and so close in performance to the onboard) it's hardly worth it.

Glad you're up and running again!