Pleased With The HD5770

Discussion in 'Benchmarks' started by Digital Doctor, Feb 18, 2010.

Share This Page

1. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Loving AMD's new AM1 CPU

Just bought a couple of hdmi 5770's to complete my build, ive been putting them through their paces with several games and can tell you i think they are the best bang/buck card at the moment.

Prior to the 5770s i had one HD4870 which was ati's best offereing for budget gaming, as you may know the 4870 has 1gb and 512mb of ddr5, i have the 1gb version and its got a 256bit memory bus, even so the 5770 has better performance with a 128bit memory bus and i think this is amazing.

In every game i tested the 5770 beat the 4870 by about 4-8fps whick ok doesnt sound much, but concidering that the 5770 is only £115 with the benefits of DX11 & eyefinity and the 4870 was £135 you really can't complain. also the 5770 uses a 40nm process and even at full load on the games i tested it stayed around 48oC, Now this is a different story on the 4870, maxed out the card goes to over 80oC and i can promise you it will burn your fingers.

Ive put the two 5770's through their paces too in crossfireX and can tell you that the performance is truly amazing, ati seem to use a different approach to using multi gpu's than nvidia, if a game doesnt need more fps the texture quality goes a lot higher, the gpu power gets put to better use, with nvidia's sli, it seems that more unwanted fps are thrown at the game when theyre not needed. After all 60fps is the sweet spot if youre using vsync. the 5770's keep all my games rock solid at 60fps, they dont budge even if i bump the games upto 8xaa.

[​IMG]

The version of the cards i bought are asus, and for a good reason. First of all asus are the best overclockers and even though looking at the card you might think the cooling solution looks crap, it's really clever what they've done with it, you can unclip the fan surround then the card can be made to fit in a single slot with a third party cooler, when youve changed the pci bracket of course, the fans are whisper quiet you dont know they are running, also unlike the 4800 series cards the 5770 only needs the power from one 6 pin plug, and its over an inch shorter in length.

The 5770 clocks to over 950mhz on the core with ease, and the memory clocks just as good, im going to do more stress testing to see just how far this baby can go and stay stable, then will flash the bios and keep it there permanently. For people on a budget these cards are the way to go, the performance is awsome for the price you will not get better. This card is a perfect match for the qx9650 cpu.

So basically your getting a card that has better performance than the 4870 with dx11 and is cheaper, slower than the 4890 but to be expected, well done asus!

[​IMG]

2. lloydcars

lloydcars XI WHYY TRYY XI

looking/sounding good mate.
    my mate was going to get an xfx hd 5770 but i told him to get the asus cu-core hd 5770 from kustom pcs website as its has voltage tweak and a cooler operating temp so he's going to buy one as soon as he gets the money beacause its better.
    Ive got the asus hd 5850 and i cant wait to get it in the new core i7 computer im building and overclock it to the max.

3. razer121

razer121 learning grammar :)

hm sounds like its pretty good, although im pretty happy with my gtx260, ive been considering an ati card next...

4. Digital Doctor

Wise choice, the cooling on xfx cards are loud enough to be heard from two rooms away and im not exaggerating!

5. Digital Doctor

6. Egon

Egon total protonic reversal

We got an ATI Radeon 5770 and it's brilliant. Best you can get for the cash, still runs everything on high with no slowdown

7. gamerdude1989

gamerdude1989 Banned

digital doctor, im confused, please may you help me out.
    with the first review, you stated it had 1gb and 512mb DDr5.

surely it cant be 1gb and 512mb???
    its either one or the other right?
    Because your stating the memory of it, just like ram, you cant have 512mb and 1gb. hmm

But corr yeah thats a high clock speed you can push that too.

I can only push my 4350 to 734mhz core, and thats pushing it, idling at 58C :D

8. Kermit98

Kermit98 Regular Kustomer

Dedicated and system?

Some GPUs use some of the system memory as well. They will have x on the graphics card and can use up to y with availability of system RAM.

No idea if that is the case this time.

9. gamerdude1989

gamerdude1989 Banned

yeah i was thinking roughly the same thing mate,
    i was thinking maybe they come in both 512mb and 1gb but thought he made an error and wrote both.

Yeah i understand about the system and dedicated mate, but thanks for taking the time to tell me incase i didnt know.

When my new rig is built, im thinking about upgrading to that exact card, cheap and cheerful. keep me informed on how it goes, especially with the overclocking, if your pushing it to its limits, let me know what the rough max temps it can safely run at without issues, so that i can too push mine to the limit, as i currently am with my 4350, and also am going to be doing to my new cpu, Athlon II 460 quad core @ 3ghz, but going to push it to the max safe temp.

10. Digital Doctor

Spot on kid

11. Digital Doctor

Yea the card comes in 3 flavors, 512mb, 1gb and 1gb single slot cooling. I managed to get the core stable at 1000MHz with no problems at all.

12. gamerdude1989

gamerdude1989 Banned

corr niceee.
    and what were the temps idle and under load?

13. silve225

silve225 Super Kustomer

I have the sapphire 5770 1gb gddr5 and works great. The fan is so quite i never hear it. I never seen the fan max out playing just cause 2 and test drive unlimted 2 on high settings. The idle temp is like 35c and 62c while playing test drive unlimted 2 and just cause 2