PC upgrade time

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jamestk, Aug 20, 2015.

Share This Page

1. Jamestk

Jamestk Tech Support

Greetings fellow PC builders

Its been a while since I last posted and since I last built a PC so the time has come to kill two birds with one stone. :)

Am having a bit of a hard time choosing between the "Asus 2011-V3 ROG Rampage V Extreme " and the "Asus 2011-V3 X99-PRO" motherboard which I am planning to use a "Asus Geforce GTX 980 Ti 6GB" single graphics card and wont be doing anything fancy such as SLI. From what I can see there isn't much difference between them if like me your not going to be OC'ing or tweaking the hell out of motherboards.

So far my new PC shopping list is looking like this:

"Asus 2011-V3 ROG Rampage V Extreme " OR "Asus 2011-V3 X99-PRO" motherboard [TABLE="border: 0, cellpadding: 0, cellspacing: 0, width: 399"]
    [TR]
    [TD]16GB Corsair 2133Mhz DDR4[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Intel i7-5930K 3.5Ghz 6 Core. 12 Thread[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Asus Geforce GTX 980 Ti 6GB[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Noctua NH-D14-2011 Dual Radiator Cooler PWM fans[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Antec High Current Pro 850W HCP-850 80+ Platinum PSU[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Lian Li PC-70 (using existing case)[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Any advice or comments are greatly appreciated, regards and best wishes to all

James

2. Flash

Flash Regular Kustomer

only 2 things on that list I would change, msi 980ti is a better card for the money and swap the psu for a corsair HX, CX or TX

motherboard wise I'm a bit bias the gigabyte x99-ud4 or the Gaming (been using gigabyte boards for nearly 20 years) - I got a brilliant deal on a 5920k and x99-ud4 from a online retailer beginning with S but always see if Kustoms can do you some sort of deal

3. Jamestk

Jamestk Tech Support

Hi Flash thanks for the input, I’ve not had any issues with Antec power supply, if i could i would us my existing Antec TruePower Quattro 850W but i believe that the Asus 2011-V3 boards need an additional power connection which i am not sure if my existing power supply has a plug for.

With regards to gigabyte well if my past experience with them is anything to go by then I would rather stick well clear of them, had two failures with gigabyte boards with bad capacitors where as my Asus P6T deluxe which is about 5 years old now and will running solid but am happy to be proven wrong.

Cheers

James

4. Graeme*Kustom*

Graeme*Kustom* Administrator

Main differences are X99-PRO is geared towards high-end creative users - well featured, includes good Wifi and expandability. Rampage V Extreme supports 4 GPUs to the X99-Pro's 3 way GPU and has more detailed overclocking features, but we're really talking about 1% of users would actually get the benefit from those, beyond that it's the colour scheme, but for most users they'll perform just the same.

More crucially though, Rampage V Extreme is EATX size - I'm not sure if the tray in PC70 would support this? Definitely worth triple checking versus the board size.

Worth aiming for 2400 RAM - that's the best balance in price / performance and keeping at a nice simple 100Mhz BCLK.

My PSU favourites these days are Superflower - generally prefer Corsair over Antec, but interestingly I found recently that 980 Ti cards performed slightly quicker in benchmarks powered on a SuperFlower 850W PSU versus a Corsair RM 850 (Unigine Valley peak fps increased by 9-10 with the Superflower hooked up)

Would second a vote for MSI on the 980 Ti, or the EVGA cards - just got a new ACX cooler 980 Ti in stock from EVGA at the shop which will go online tomorrow. Typically EVGA cards have reached some of the best clock speeds, but MSI strong point is that they are very quiet. Both their power circuitry and fans.

Might need to double check height of the CPU cooler to fit the case too - it's been a while, but from what I remember PC70 was very tall but not especially wide.

If you want to pop an enquiry to us via the contact form on the website I'd look at these in more detail for you and we can draw up a quote. :)

5. Jamestk

Jamestk Tech Support

Hello Graeme,

Appreciate you looking at this :)

Checked case depth from MB mount plate to the edge of the case, its 180mm, my current cpu cooler is the " Noctua NH-U12P SE2 Dual Fan Quiet CPU Cooler" which is "Height (with fan) 158 mm" the Noctua NH-D14-2011 is 160mm with fans so it'll just fit in the PC70 case (love this old case), the X99-PRO sounds good to me, email on its way.

Cheers

James

6. Jamestk

Jamestk Tech Support

Just wanted to update this thread with the final build info, Graeme worked his usual magic on this and test fitted the parts:

Asus 2011-V3 X99-DELUXE/U3.1 Motherboard
    Intel Core i7 5930K Extreme Six Core 3.5Ghz Unlocked Retail
    CORSAIR 32GB DDR4 2400
    Noctua NH-D14 - CPU Kohler with NM-I2011 Intel LGA2011 bracket
    Samsung 256GB SM951 PCIe NVME M.2 MZ-VPV256HDGL-00000

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM DVD 64

used existing parts:
    Lian Li PC-70
    2 x Seagate 750GB Barracuda ES SATA 7200RPM, 16MB Cache, ST3750640NS in RAID 0

Big thank you to Graeme for his help with this build.

Fat Jez likes this.