P****d Off With Asus AND Intel

Discussion in 'Rant forum' started by Digital Doctor, Aug 16, 2011.

Share This Page

1. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Loving AMD's new AM1 CPU

Right that's it now, i will never buy anything from asus or intel again :mad:

Why?

2 bad motherboards in a row, and an intel chip that only works when it wants to, ASRock are brilliant not a single glitch for 18 months straight and the machines never off, same goes for phenom ii quad cpus bloody fantastic (at half the price of an intel aswell i might add) :eek:

Im sure asus are here to cut your life short ive had nothing but trouble with them, well no more, finito, finished done & dusted. Take a tip from digi doc, don't waste your cash on expensive rog boards because as far as asus is concerned the more the boards have on them, the more that goes wrong.

Problem1 board 1

Asus Aisuite didnt work, ok you may say "i never use it" but thats not the point, you pay for a premium board with premium features, and then i found out the EPU chip was faulty that was the reason.

Problem2 board 1

All the chassis fan headers stopped working, again a royal pain in the ass when you use them to control graphics card fans.

Problem3 board 1

Board didnt accept 8GB of ram at 1600MHz, even though it's advertised as being compatible it only ran at 1066 with 8GB installed, again a right bummer.

Problem 1 board2

3 bent cpu socket pins, as i always test new boards with an old p4 chip not my £200 qx9650 extreme its a good job i did because on power up it fried the cpu.

Problem 2 board2

If all this wasnt enough the i/o shield was missing out of the box.

Now i don't know what the hell is going on with asus's quality control department but a service as poor as this is not on. :mad: So what exactly are you paying more money for? Answer=more grief and stress.:mad:

2. Vicey

Vicey Regular Kustomer

Very disappointing but I have to echo your experience. I've had issues with my Asus P6T6 and my Core i7 940.

I'm a big Asus fan but all the recent boards I've had from them have been problematic. I'm thinking the next board I get will be either an MSI or EVGA.

3. Ninjagordy

Ninjagordy Winner of The Game (UJFL)

i know exactly what you saying. used to be asus was gauranteed not to have issues...not anymore...i have had asus graphics cards fail on me lately.....seems they are on a rocky road...... scine asrock is the budget end of asus...it seems they have swapped places.... :eek:

4. latency

latency Existentialist

This is why I'm always slating Asus.

I'm sure there are people who've used Asus for years without complaint, but I'd wager that their time will come, as yours now has.

The duff Intel chip is probably bad luck, CPU failure is extremely rare in my experience.

Come over to AMD and MSI, it's all sunshine and rainbows here :)

5. Graeme*Kustom*

Graeme*Kustom* Administrator

If you'e got bent pins and missing parts, I'd wonder more so if it was not an issue with Asus quality control, but maybe you got a returned / untested board from somewhere?

Just a guess.

We similar percentage of faults with ASRock to Asus really, and Gigabyte the same. I think it's to be expected that there will always be a few that go wrong regardless of brand.

CPU faults are very rare, but can happen - it looks like we had two faulty Intel CPUs last year, one AMD. But then sold a lot more Intel vs AMD...

6. Vicey

Vicey Regular Kustomer

I may just do that now that AMD has SLI. :D

7. latency

latency Existentialist

I'm sticking to Radeons for the forceable future, I love the way my system runs with a full AMD setup, all the same drivers and software for the whole system.

The AMD overdrive utility can show me statistics for the entire system on one window, it's great.

But since you've got the nVidia cards already, I don't blame you for sticking with SLi there!

8. Vicey

Vicey Regular Kustomer

Yeah if I was going to upgrade now I'd keep my 480's - If I was going to get new cards I'd probably go with the 6990's because they have the 2GB frame buffer per GPU and running these three 30" in surround takes a lot of VRAM I can't run some games at high settings anymore because the memory runs out.

9. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

Even by ASUS standards that's not good - as Graeme said with the amount of parts broken or missing I'd suspect a board that's been RMA'd as faulty and been shipped back out because nobody's bothered to test it.

Don't really see what this has to do with Intel though?

10. brumster

brumster Midland Muppet

I've got one Asus component - an Xonar D2X sound card - and have had grief with that in the past but only from a drivers perspective; their software was ****e and I had clicking/bwooping noises from the card in Vista. Their support team was just not interested; fobbing me off with lots of excuses (it's the speakers; it's the motherboard; it's the power supply; try it in another computer). Moved to Windows 7 and the problem went away!

Must admit, have had Asus boards in the past with no general issues (I think one of my machines here still has an Asus board in it). But generally my stuff is ABit, and has been rock solid. Even got a few cheapo Asrock boards in temporary-use machines and they're no problem either.

DFI. Oh now they were things of beauty.

11. Graeme*Kustom*

Graeme*Kustom* Administrator

heehee, see, you'll always see differing opinions.

Cool designs those boards and some nice features, but they were like boomerangs. We had a lot of returns to process on those... Stopped selling them after the 915 chipset models.

12. brumster

brumster Midland Muppet

Shocked :eek: ! Mind you, we're talking the LanParty days and Pentium 4's now. They seemed to disappear after that. My old DFI LanParty board is still doing sterling service in my neighbours house, water cooled and all :)

But you're right, everyone will have a standpoint - people get quite polarised on hardware vendors. I had nothing but trouble with Gigabyte years and years ago, and to this day refuse to go anywhere near them!

13. Archaon

Archaon Eats, Drinks, Sleeps Kustom

DFI are still around as far as I know but they seem to have a dramatically reduced presence compared to the P4 days. I had a mATX LanParty Jr, for LGA775/C2D, it was still pretty as you'd expect from DFI and it was a solid board - it had the best feature set out of the reasonably priced mATX boards I found at the time (that wasn't ASUS).

14. Vicey

Vicey Regular Kustomer

DFI exited the consumer motherboard business in January this year.

According to DFI insiders who talked to the press it was due to two things. First being lack of allocation. Meaning when there were short supplies of chipsets or any part DFI needed they would be put on the bottom of inventory lists so they suffered greatly when trying to get product in to peoples hands. And the second reason being that their consumer board side made significant losses in 2009 and did not recover in 2010 resulting in their exit in January 2011.

It does suck as they were great overclocking boards they had every setting available to be tweaked. I think personally that EVGA is like a modern day DFI they are still releasing things their BIOS are full of tweakable options and they are innovating with products like the SR-2. But this is just my personal opinion it's not a fact or anything lol

15. Digital Doctor

Can anyone remember QDI motherboards? they were great. PC chips though omg lol

16. Digital Doctor

Youre spot on, ASRock are making some pukka boards lately i wont buy any other brand now love em.

17. Fat Jez

Fat Jez Master of the High Five!

You do know Asrock is Asus's budget division?

18. Digital Doctor

Yes m8 i did, theyve switched places as far as quality goes.