OBD software and DPF

Discussion in 'Cars / Bikes' started by Samsonite, Jan 23, 2015.

Share This Page

1. Samsonite

Samsonite Mine's a frosty one

Hi,

I just wondered if anyone had much experience playing around with software and hardware to monitor their car?

Just traded my Ford Focus in for a 2008 C-Max Titanium 1.8 Tdci and read about problems with DPF, EGR and various other things. What I don't understand is why you have to pay £££s to clear a DPF, but it seems that you can purchase software and hardware that does it for you for less and hardly involves much technical expertise... Considering getting some kit just for this purpose, but would be good if anyone else has done it!

I was told by a mechanic to take the car out for a 5 minute blast at over 2,000 RPM once per week to keep the DPF clean. I did this and the car actually seems twice as responsive as before and accelerates like stink! I guess I will keep doing this, but still would like the software to monitor things from time to time, even just because I'm a geek - who needs an excuse?

2. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

I useForScan software with an ELM327 OBD-II to USB adapter on my Ford Festa ST. The adapter is under £10 and the software is free. I'd recommend getting a modded ELM327 that has a high speed switch on it for your car.

I've used it to reset error codes before and perform some tests. I've also gone for drives using the laptop as a data logger. Just make sure the cable doesn't get tangles on your feet or around the gearstick. http://forums.kustompcs.co.uk/showpost.php?p=506891&postcount=68

3. Samsonite

Samsonite Mine's a frosty one

I saw ForScan - looks good and I've seen someone clearing out the DPF using this software and a USB adapter - so for £10, seems like a must almost - apparently can cost £300 for a garage to essentially plug their gizmo in and do the same thing.

A strange thing that by all accounts should not be possible is that I "accidentally" filled the car up with premium diesel (it was the only choice at this pump, but I noticed the price was £1.32 a litre and thought WTF!). But on firing up the ignition the engine was much quieter. This cannot be possible as you normally have to run a tank or half through the engine to notice a difference. Very strange, but I'm not complaining. I reckon the Ford garage put some nasty cheap fuel in the car when I bought it, but certainly the car is now good - I was going to take it in and complain, but seems to have sorted itself out. Good performance, but also does over 70 mpg at around 80 mph which seems nuts. My 1.6 petrol Focus averaged 30 mpg and only did about 39 on the motorway... the most annoying thing was convenience - having to fill up twice as often. I can now do about 600 miles on a tank (same size tank) whereas I was getting 320 miles out of the old one.

4. brumster

brumster Midland Muppet

Old ELM327 here too, bought off eBay yonks ago. They're not perfect for some manufacturers (Merc, for example, are very arcane with their implementation over CAN bus) but you should be able to get the basic info out of most mainstream manufacturers.

DPFs and EGRs hate lots of short journeys. Best thing for DPFs and EGRs, as you've discovered, is :
    - The occasional blast. Get it nice and hot. Not necessarily revs, but load.
    - Either the occasional fill-up of high quality fuel or, cheaper, some injector cleaner fuel additive like Redex.

Combined the above two on a previous car with EGR (but no PDF) and it worked a treat in keeping it tip-top, as the missus was just trotting it around low mileage journies locally. The EGR would often stick until I started blowing the cobwebs out of it :)

5. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

What software do you use Brumster?

6. liadbacklad

liadbacklad All donations welcome!

Me and my mate have the italian tune up!

We just blast up the motorway full chat (after its warmed up) and do that one every few weeks. Usually end up with a few puffs of smoke and then it's cleared and good to go.

it's also lots of fun!

7. Ninjagordy

Ninjagordy Winner of The Game (UJFL)

i fired an egr delete kit on my A6 tdi..... no issues with the EGR anymore...its been in the bin for over a year.... ;-)

8. Cosmo_1847

Cosmo_1847 Kiss of death

I've had it on my 1.4 Nissan where I've put my foot down and it's thrown white smoke out of the back but only once in a while after I've been pottering about for a bit.