Nvidia to quit chipset business!!?

Discussion in 'Tech News' started by Fireblade, Aug 1, 2008.

Share This Page

1. Fireblade

Fireblade Mental Modder[ator]!!

:eek:

Source (/Sauce :D): Nvidia to quit chipset business

Wonder if this has anything to do with the ongoing graphics chip problems, which are being talked about all over the 'net?

2. latency

latency Existentialist

Intel has made quite an impact these past few years with their integrated graphics, since many laptops are all C2D with X3100 media graphics... the enthusiasts are using expansion cards anyway, and performance laptops have dedicated graphics cards...

I can see how they're getting displaced from this market tbh...

3. _stu_

_stu_ Professional Lurker

I cant say i'm not happy about this tbh. The sheer volume of problems I've seen with 680i, then both 780 and 790 just isnt fun. nVidia have always made fantastic GPUs, but ever since nForce4 the quality and reliability just hasnt been there. With product development cycles getting shorter and shorter, along with a strained relationship with intel, I think this has been coming for a while.....

Stu

4. razer121

razer121 learning grammar :)

hm..my 680i mobo has never given me problems...i personaly think nvidia should carry on and just improve....i mean look at there gpus...surely they wont struggle...?

5. gmyers

gmyers Banned

I really doubt Nvidia is about to leave the chipset business.

It's the core of their business. It'd be like tesco giving up groceries.

6. Fireblade

Fireblade Mental Modder[ator]!!

You really need to check the dates of threads/last posts, before replying!
    I posted that back on 1st August 2008 :D

7. --Mike--

--Mike-- GRIND ME!

lol I read this and was like wtf as i read it, then I looked at the date...then the latest post date :L

8. XscudX

XscudX Ping, not bling

nvidia r working on there next range of high end call the gf100

9. Graeme*Kustom*

Graeme*Kustom* Administrator

That's a graphics processor, not a motherboard chipset.

And I guess they didn't quit the chipset market entirely since there's still stuff like ION hitting the market - but not so much of the high end stuff.

Not a bad thing though, as their 'high end' desktop chipsets of late had been pretty awful for stability anyway.

10. BUFF

BUFF Kool KuKumber

supposedly Intel aren't giving them a licence for the latest CPUs so there won't be any new nVidia chipsets for Intel CPUs at least in the short term.
    & of course AMD/ATis chipsets have been taking a larger share of the AMD CPU market.

11. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Loving AMD's new AM1 CPU

Good, theyre useless anyway.

12. latency

latency Existentialist

Respect granted where it's due.

nVidia made the nForce 2 chipset, which was the end-all of chipsets for the Athlon XP.

Weather or not their newer stuff is any good, they have some pretty good platforms in their historical portfolio.

13. Vicey

Vicey Regular Kustomer

What NVIDIA are focusing on now is Optimius.

Notebooks are the most important buisness to NVIDIA as they have overtaken desktop sales and NVIDIA sell millions of units to laptop manufacturers before the notebooks are shipped to customers. Meaning they sell in very high volumes in large single orders vs smaller orders for desktop systems that are built on demand.

Because Intel won't allow them access to the QPI for Core i3/5/7 products they are having to go with Optimius which allows their GPU's to activate and deactivate depending on GPU demand. Allowing the built in GPU inside the Intel CPU's to drive all the 2D stuff but allow NVIDIA's dedicated chips to take over when a game is launched or 1080p video using DXVA / Flash.

Before this happened NVIDIA had shifted their chipset buisness to bundling integrated graphics in with the chipset. They did this so they could offset the need for manufacturers to use Intel chipsets that had integrated graphics. But now that Intel has taken the anti-competitive step of bundling the GPU inside the CPU on the same package it has pushed NVIDIA out of the low-end system range entirely and they have to make Optimius a success.

The ION platform was designed long before NVIDIA decided to abandon their chipset business. The ION is basically a 9300/9400 GPU with modified 680i chipset logic. So basically it originated in 2006 and has been modified. The ION2 platform is identical to the ION1 except it supports the Optimius technology and it includes a few extra shader cores.

A few years ago NVIDIA and Intel entered in to an agreement that would have Intel get some of NVIDIA's graphics technology and NVIDIA would get some of Intels technology and a license to make chipsets for their processors. Intel claims this agreement was for the FSB (Front Side Bus) only and does not extend to the QPI. NVIDIA says that the agreement was broad and does not make mention of any specific technology it just says BUS.

They will be entering court to dispute this and there is no doubt in my mind that if NVIDIA win they will release another chipset. And I believe we need them to as Intel has said they do not intend to integrate SATAIII or USB3.0 in their chipsets until mid-late 2011. NVIDIA on the other hand would have added USB3.0 and SATAIII already by now just to be competitive with the current chipsets from Intel. Basically no competition = Hurting innovation in the chipset business.

My personal view after owning a 680i chipset motherboard is that NVIDIA made motherboards are rubbish and their chipsets are crap. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't have a presence in the market. It definitely helps everyone to have them around.

14. razer121

the only thing i hated about the 680i was the heat it gave off, i thought it was a pretty good chipset! worked solid for a good year for me and the board props still works now :eek:

15. Vicey

Vicey Regular Kustomer

The first 6 months of life for the 680i was a troubled one.

None of the boards had working PS/2 ports (Would cut out under CPU load)
    None of the boards could OC a Quad past 288FSB (266 was default) due to low gtlref voltage
    The BIOS for the first 6 months caused data corruption on any disk plugged in via SATA

These problems were all fixed but only after several recalls. I had an EVGA board and they recalled there boards not once but twice. First to fix the PS/2 issue and then to fix the GTLRef voltage issue. Eventually when the 780i was released EVGA felt so bad about what happened they offered all early purchasers of rhe 680i a 780i at 1/4th retail cost in exchange for their 680i's. I declined that offer.

Eventually my 680i after almost 3 years of use died. My Corsair HX1000 also died. I don't know if the PSU killed the board or the board killed the PSU but I reckon it was the board. It was just such a bad board. I'll never buy another NVIDIA chipset motherboard after that.

Keep in mind though if you bought a 680i about 6 months to a year after it released you wouldn't of suffered the same issues as me and hundreds of other people. We were early adopters but we didn't deserve the **** we were handed. Especially when the 680i was like £220

16. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Loving AMD's new AM1 CPU

Strange that your corsair psu died, they are tested to the max and are considered to be the best, yep i would say the board did the damage there, thing is i got sick of the terrible nvidia drivers with there boards and gfx cards, and had 2 nforce4 intel boards that had bad caps and overheating problems.

17. razer121

see out of all the boards if ever used i would still rate my 680i as the best...it was also the only one that had working usb ports on startup lol not a single asus board ive owned could do this, always had to use a damn ps2 keyboard! same with my msi board now in fact? maybe i just got lucky?

18. Vicey

Vicey Regular Kustomer

Yep. I have to say though Corsair have a great RMA service. I received my brand new sealed in a box PSU the next day after they confirmed delivery of my broken one. Very impressive. I have it in my server now.

The thing to keep in mind about the 680i is when it first launched every single board was made by Foxconn by order of NVIDIA. The boards were then sent to EVGA, DFI, XFX and any other companies that wanted to sell a 680i board. There was only 2 or 3 companies that were allowed to get the chipset on its own to build their own board. ASUS being one of them with the striker.

Every single 680i in existence including the ASUS striker had the SATA data corruption. _every single board_ until about 6 months after the board had been released. That was when the BIOS update was released to correct this issue.

All the NVIDIA made boards had the Quad Core overclocking issue and the PS/2 port issue. EVGA, XFX etc all the custom made boards had this problem. It was fixed after about 8 months in retail via 2 recalls and 2 hardware revisions to the shipping boards.

So if you had an early board you have a 'dud' but if you bought a 680i after this you're fine. All the things above were design issues that affected everyone who bought early. There was no getting lucky or not ;)